Laurence Hogg Productions remaining VHS stock free to good home.

Laurence Hogg

Featured Posts

Hello folks. I have finally decided to stop offering our VHS stock through ebay and our website. I no longer have a repro bank of machines and demand has dropped considerably of late. The adverts are costing us money and its better spent elsewhere. However I have around three dozen brand new tapes of various popular titles which I am happy to donate to any society or group that thinks they can turn a penny on them, included are titles like "A canal too far" and Working boats 1. Collection would be from base here in Worfield Shropshire, that could make a nice day out sor someone as I am only a few minutes away from the Severn Valley Railway and the Ironbridge gorge museums. ANyone interested please pm me.

Edited by Laurence Hogg

Chesterfield canal Trust?

Yup,

Unless anyone else is interested Auntie Wainwright would be very happy to take them and see if some good homes can be found for them with people who are prepared to hand over some money for Chesterfield Canal Trust in return. That would be very nice indeed thank you Laurence.

My biggest problem is that as delightful as a day out in Shropshire would be, I am about to head off for 21 days out - in India and most of our volunteers up here are far too busy restoring a canal to be driving across the country for a splendid day out.

If there is anyone reading this who lives close to Laurence and might be able to pick them up for us and get them into the CWDF carrying company system then that would be amazing!

Yup,

Unless anyone else is interested Auntie Wainwright would be very happy to take them and see if some good homes can be found for them with people who are prepared to hand over some money for Chesterfield Canal Trust in return. That would be very nice indeed thank you Laurence.

My biggest problem is that as delightful as a day out in Shropshire would be, I am about to head off for 21 days out - in India and most of our volunteers up here are far too busy restoring a canal to be driving across the country for a splendid day out.

If there is anyone reading this who lives close to Laurence and might be able to pick them up for us and get them into the CWDF carrying company system then that would be amazing!

I could be up for that, if Laurence is happy with the idea and depending where in Shropshire, I could combine with a trip to see Sis, but the earliest would be weekend after next

I could be up for that, if Laurence is happy with the idea and depending where in Shropshire, I could combine with a trip to see Sis, but the earliest would be weekend after next

Oooh! That would be marvellous!

What do you reckon Laurence? (she says fluttering her eyelids hopefully)

Oooh! That would be marvellous!

What do you reckon Laurence? (she says fluttering her eyelids hopefully)

No problem, just give contct me and I will give directions, I am very easy to find just two minutes off the A454 at Worfield.

Edited by Laurence Hogg

• 1 month later...

Just to resurrect this thread, I have not taken delivery of the videos and they are great thank you very much Laurence.

Many thanks to Tree Monkey and my daughter for sorting out the transportation and storage of them for me. 

Anyone want to buy a VHS video? ;) 

All  proceeds to Chesterfield Canal Trust

1 hour ago, cheshire~rose said:

Oh yes - thanks for that 

I reckon they need auctioning off :D I dont have a vhs!! even a dinosaur like me has gone past that era BUT.................I will start bidding off at £ 20.......over to you Chesh

2 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

I reckon they need auctioning off :D I dont have a vhs!! even a dinosaur like me has gone past that era BUT.................I will start bidding off at £ 20.......over to you Chesh

There are still a lot of VHS films out there that will not make it to DVD, all of mine have in one form or another but many companies who are history now their titles may well be lost. Ie SK productions which made the David Blagrove videos immediately comes to mind. The lack of a working VCR will be a loss to some enthusiasts .New VHS VCR's are just about still available and there are many good second hand ones on Ebay.

Crikey MrSmelly - £20? 

Is that just for one title? If so which do you want? :P

I was going to pop them on eBay at a price reduced from that Laurence had been selling them for - I also have an outlet at our pop up shop at Hollingwood which is very close to Barrow Hill and consequently gets a few passing steam train entusiasts. They are a breed that still use VCR!

2 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Even most charity shops dont want tapes now

No I used to volunteer at the last charity shop in Chesterfield that took VCR tapes. We used to get huge bin liners full of them. I used to sort through them and throw out all the copies of The Full Monty and Brassed Off but put any nature, travel, train, old westerns or old B&W films in a dump bin and they would get snapped up at 50p each. Of course they were s/h unknown quality films, not brand new stock like these but there is still a market for them if the price is right

25 minutes ago, cheshire~rose said:

Crikey MrSmelly - £20? 

Is that just for one title? If so which do you want? :P

I was going to pop them on eBay at a price reduced from that Laurence had been selling them for - I also have an outlet at our pop up shop at Hollingwood which is very close to Barrow Hill and consequently gets a few passing steam train entusiasts. They are a breed that still use VCR!

Berlimey you know how to weedle the wonga out of a blokes fist. I hope you get a good price for em on fleabay I have nowt to play em on anyway :D I just like chucking money at stuff on auctions.

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

Berlimey you know how to weedle the wonga out of a blokes fist. I hope you get a good price for em on fleabay I have nowt to play em on anyway :D I just like chucking money at stuff on auctions.

Oh come on.... you have read all these posts saying how VHS tapes are a dying breed, you should consider it an investment - I mean look how much pre-recorded Betamax video tapes or 8-track cassettes sell for now. People should be clamouring to take these off my hands, probably a safer bet than leaving your money in a bank ;)

I guess that is a cue to sort out another auction, yeah, OK. Only just got acclimatised to being back in UK after 3 glorious weeks in Goa and I have a team of volunteers working like the clappers to try and get a historic boat ready for a summer season and some serious renovation work going on at home. I will try and get something together in the next few weeks to satisfy your need for an auction and I will include a VHS tape in that 

Is someone going to tell me that a VHS cannot be played and simultaneously NOT be recorded onto a CD-R? Seem to recall doing the in the past, and the CD-R plays well enough on my desktop. Commercially it would not make much sense, but for home use . . .

46 minutes ago, Derek R. said:

Is someone going to tell me that a VHS cannot be played and simultaneously NOT be recorded onto a CD-R? Seem to recall doing the in the past, and the CD-R plays well enough on my desktop. Commercially it would not make much sense, but for home use . . .

It depends on whether or not the VHS has copy protection and what capture card you have on your pc. 

2 hours ago, WotEver said:

It depends on whether or not the VHS has copy protection and what capture card you have on your pc. 

Our tapes did not have copy protection, it was a waste of time as circumventing was so easy. However you are breaking the law by copying material still current and under copyright, also you have only the rsolution of VHS which is 250 lines as against the 500 of digital / dv.

7 minutes ago, Laurence Hogg said:

also you have only the rsolution of VHS which is 250 lines as against the 500 of digital / dv.

PAL VHS is about 335 lines of vertical resolution with SD digital being 576. 

46 minutes ago, Laurence Hogg said:

Our tapes did not have copy protection, it was a waste of time as circumventing was so easy.

It entirely depended upon the system used. Some were virtually impossible to overcome as I experienced when attempting to rip some Sony and Warner VHSs (for Sony & Warner, with written approval) back in the 80s. Others could simply be put through a decent TBC and came out clean as a whistle.