Preston Brook tunnel advice

silverlode

Featured Posts

Hi all, I'll be attempting the Preston Brook tunnel later today, travelling North. I'm going solo and have no headlamps - is this a problem? I have a strong flashlight, will it do/be necessary?

I'm guessing the two shorter tunnels before the big one will be short enough not to need lights, but I could be wrong.

Any advice from you lovely people?

Amelia

The shorter ones are probably harder.

A headlight is a very good idea for tunnels.

Don't go in right at the end of your time slot and be prepared for an oncoming boat to take a chance and enter too soon, less likely at this tome of the year but has happened to me twice, any sign of a boat doing this sound your horn lots.

...............Dave

Be careful of the dog-leg in Saltersford. Keep an eye on the roof profile. Once in Harecastle they will close the ventilation control door which causes a brief fog - don't let it bother you!

They wont let you through Harecastle without a headlamp, but I don't know if you are going that way.

All three tunnels are long enough that unless you do them regularly they will feel about the same length. I certainly wouldn't describe Saltisford & Barton Tunnels as "short enough not to need a light".

It's up to you if you want to navigate tunnels with just a flash light (i assume you're American?, personally i wouldn't have a problem seeing where I'm going through all three of those tunnels with just my head torch.

The biggest issue i can see you having is with Barnton Tunnel, not Preston Brook. Unlike PB & Saltisford, Barnton does not have timed passages to ensure nobody comes the other way. It works on taking a look to see if there is a headlight coming your way, i.e somebody already in the tunnel. If not then you deem it clear and go for it.

If you are transiting Barnton Tunnel with a small or low powered light it is quite possible that somebody might arrive at the other end, have a quick look and not see you and decide to enter the tunnel towards you.

Having said all that at this time of year i wouldn't worry too much. If you're in Barnton and you see somebody enter at the other end then sound your horn like mad and wave you're light around. Hopefully they'll realise what's going on.

The only thing to worry about with PB is whether you can see where you're going. So long as you go in at the correct time there wil be nobody coming the other way.

Edited to add...

I don't know why people have mentioned Harecastle?

It's up to you if you want to navigate tunnels with just a flash light (i assume you're American?,

When I was a child we always knew them as "Flashlights" and they normally had a button to press to flash them on, when you pulled the switch back it pressed and held the button down so the light was constant.

I have been trough Hyde Bank Tunnel with just a torch strapped to the bow of my canoe with no problem.... Preston Brook is a bit longer but I guess you would be OK.. Cabin lights will probably be enough to see where you are going and it's one way working so you won't meet anyone coming the other way. I would suggest you strap your flashlight to the bow somewhere and make sure it has a good battery! Have fun!

(In anticipation of comments that may follow I wouldn't do Preston Brook in a canoe.... I am not even sure whether it is allowed or not.)

Just done Preston Brook tunnel. Moored where the breach was two/three years ago. Perfect weather. Cold in the tunnel though. Freezing.

Going to be cold tonight and Thursday night. We're ready and prepared. Even the dogs have coats.

Silverlode. Have you set off yet?

Martyn

They test your headlamp and horn.

Also, they insist that a blow type horn, eg platelayers warning horn is not suitable. They believe the smoke from a fire will render you incapable of blowing it.

My suggestion that the same fire could probably disable the boat electrics rendering the horn inoperative went straight over their heads.

As it happens, I have 3 different types of horn on board but that is by the by. (I also have at least 4 headlight choices having been caught out by a failure in the tight section of the tunnel).

George ex nb Alton retired

Just done Preston Brook tunnel. Moored where the breach was two/three years ago. Perfect weather. Cold in the tunnel though. Freezing.

Going to be cold tonight and Thursday night. We're ready and prepared. Even the dogs have coats.

Silverlode. Have you set off yet?

Martyn

Sorry about lack of replies everyone - been cruising/stopping to photograph everything as it's the most amazing day!!

Not sure I'll make it through the tunnel today - bit behind schedule. First thing in the morning perhaps!

Amelia

It is illegal to pass thru Preston Brook Tunnel without a headlight.

Preston Brook Tunnel is 1239 yards.

The law states :

(9) Any vessel passing by day or by night through a tunnel exceeding four hundred and forty yards in length shall display in the forepart of the vessel a visible white light.

It is foolhardy to attempt to do such a tunnel without a light. What happens when you are half-way thru, and someone else enters the tunnel - are you going to make them reverse back ?

Sorry about lack of replies everyone - been cruising/stopping to photograph everything as it's the most amazing day!!

Not sure I'll make it through the tunnel today - bit behind schedule. First thing in the morning perhaps!

Amelia

You could go through in the dark.

The law states :

(9) Any vessel passing by day or by night through a tunnel exceeding four hundred and forty yards in length shall display in the forepart of the vessel a visible white light.

It is foolhardy to attempt to do such a tunnel without a light. What happens when you are half-way thru, and someone else enters the tunnel - are you going to make them reverse back ?

Just put the torch on the front

I suppose it would depend on the 'torch' - it could be a 'glow-worm' or it could be a 3-million candle power hand held spotlight.

I wouldn't have thought a 'glow-worm' torch would meet the requirements of 'a visible' light.

I don't think there is a laid down specification but you are talking about a white light in a dark tunnel so even low power would show up quite well.

The law states :

I always blow the horn as soon as I go into the tunnel anyway and when part way through. I did meet someone once who had blatantly ignored the timings when I was about halfway through (I started about 3minutes after start time and no-one was in it then) and I did make him back out!

I suppose it would depend on the 'torch' - it could be a 'glow-worm' or it could be a 3-million candle power hand held spotlight.

I wouldn't have thought a 'glow-worm' torch would meet the requirements of 'a visible' light.

A single candle used to be enough.

George ex nb Alton retired

• Greenie 2