Boon, tv programme

Dave Payne

Featured Posts

Just flicking through the channels and came across Boon, the 80s one, used to enjoy it as a kid...

Anyway its based around the canals and spotted an old working boat with reg 63843, put that in the boat listings page and it comes up with a boat called collingwood, anyone know anything about this boat?

Funny part was when boon said to his female friend working the locks 'Open the tap then darling'

All filmed on the BCN.

Called,or is a collingwood narrow boat,ie the builders.?

Eh? Collingwood didn't start up until well into the 21st century. (Edit: sorry, I now see that this is the boat's name, not a reference to the builder).

Boon used to be one of my favourite programmes - I never missed an episode, though its quality did tail off a bit in the final series. Michael Elphick played the title character, but the programme was the springboard to fame for a youthful Neil Morrissey. Unfortunately, while shows of varying mediocrity enjoy endless re-runs, 'Boon' never seems to be repeated nowadays.

Now I've got that harmonica phrase from the opening titles going through me head...

Edited by Athy

I would say Leo2 had linked to the right boat. Collingwood is still around on the BCN, moored in Gas Street basin. I believe there were photos posted in the Wednesbury Old Canal / Ridgeacre thread a couple of weeks ago.

Beautiful craft, a proper boat if you don't mind me saying. Still in working use as well I believe used as a camping boat with the scouts and used to rescue the odd broken down craft.

ETA, beat me to it John, thanks for link to the thread as well. I can never figure out how to do that!

Edited by Tecka

Eh? Collingwood didn't start up until well into the 21st century. (Edit: sorry, I now see that this is the boat's name, not a reference to the builder).

Boon used to be one of my favourite programmes - I never missed an episode, though its quality did tail off a bit in the final series. Michael Elphick played the title character, but the programme was the springboard to fame for a youthful Neil Morrissey. Unfortunately, while shows of varying mediocrity enjoy endless re-runs, 'Boon' never seems to be repeated nowadays.

Now I've got that harmonica phrase from the opening titles going through me head...

Saw the first episode of Boon on a freeview channel a couple of days ago, sorry can't remember which channel.

Did the BCN challange on Collingwood a few years a go. A very basic camping boat.

Tim

An impressive craft perhaps but the only time a Pimblott Admiral could look "beautiful" would be when it breasted up with a River class.

Fair point, I always find myself watching Collingwood for as long as I can if in view though. Something about it rather than beautiful then...

An impressive craft perhaps but the only time a Pimblott Admiral could look "beautiful" would be when it breasted up with a River class.

At least they have fitted Collingwood with blue tops to make such a pairing look as matched as possible!

It is still around, moored in Gas Street basin I think.

It was mentioned recently in this thread http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=89249&p=1943708

Still moored in Gas Street Basin with butty Ash and commercially owned by Graham Wigley.

I would say Leo2 had linked to the right boat. Collingwood is still around on the BCN, moored in Gas Street basin. I believe there were photos posted in the Wednesbury Old Canal / Ridgeacre thread a couple of weeks ago.

Beautiful craft, a proper boat if you don't mind me saying. Still in working use as well I believe used as a camping boat with the scouts and used to rescue the odd broken down craft.

ETA, beat me to it John, thanks for link to the thread as well. I can never figure out how to do that!

Yeoford is more usually used as a camping boat, but yes, Collingwood does have a very basic camping fit out. My cat used to go in there to sleep very regularly as she never got disturbed.

Edited by Dave_P

Neil Morrissey played 'Rocky' in the series riding I think a BSA Gold Star. He owns & runs the Plume of Feathers at Barlaston on the T&M where he is often seen in the bar.

http://www.plumeoffeathersbarlaston.co.uk/index

Edited by Flyboy

Unfortunately, while shows of varying mediocrity enjoy endless re-runs, 'Boon' never seems to be repeated nowadays.

Been singing it all day!

It's on drama channel at 12.30am in the week.

Neil Morrissey played 'Rocky' in the series riding I think a BSA Gold Star. He owns & runs the Plume of Feathers at Barlaston on the T&M where he is often seen in the bar.

One of the bikes may have been a Goldie but I seem to remember a Triumph TR6* like the one I had (it may have been a Bonnie).

* note to the uninitiated -- not a car, but a single carb 650 Bonneville

My mistake - it was a BSA A65, which was almost indistinguishable from a Bonnie except for the BSA badge.

One of the bikes may have been a Goldie but I seem to remember a Triumph TR6* like the one I had (it may have been a Bonnie).

* note to the uninitiated -- not a car, but a single carb 650 Bonneville

My mistake - it was a BSA A65, which was almost indistinguishable from a Bonnie except for the BSA badge.

Have owned both those Bikes,the Engines do look similar

Both leaked lots of Oil!

CT

He wasn't in there when we went in a bit back, which us a shame as I'd then have had someone to tell about how unwelcoming and unhelpful his disinterested, useless barmaid was and he'd have had the opportunity to sell more drinks and two lunches.

I remember Michael Elphick most fondly for Private Shultz, but I fear it may not have stood the test of time too well and I don't recall any narrowboats being featured.

He wasn't in there when we went in a bit back, which us a shame as I'd then have had someone to tell about how unwelcoming and unhelpful his disinterested, useless barmaid was and he'd have had the opportunity to sell more drinks and two lunches.

I remember Michael Elphick most fondly for Private Shultz, but I fear it may not have stood the test of time too well and I don't recall any narrowboats being featured.

quadrophenia is where I remember him best, great film and music.

I challenged Graham Wigley, who operates Collingwood & Ash as camping boats (very popular with scout groups) with the amount of money he had cost me! He looked startled until I told him that sfter a long weekend with a youth club group on Collingwood one easter, I had to buy a boat. Forty five years later, I'm still bitten by the bug.