Dangerous Towpaths - No Go Areas - Acocks Green, Birmingham

ChrisJBrady

Featured Posts

What I said made me human to them. They didn’t think he was human until they thought he was a Muslim. Ponder that for awhile.

It's not clear that they actually thought he was a Muslim. Maybe hearing Arabic on his lips just made it harder to see him as being Not Like Them in some fundamental way. People are depressingly good at dehumanising those who don't look like them, or worship the same god(s), or whatever.

• Greenie 2

I am sorry that this should have happened to anyone but it would not be wise to assume too much about where it occurred.

My wife walks our dog along this stretch, from Yardley Road bridge to Olton, every single day (except when we are on the boat) and has never encountered the slightest difficulty.

The only other police incident which I can recall in recent years was when someone unfortunately hanged himself by the bridge.

Frank.

There are no rules on this forum as to whether you are only allowed to post 'good news' stories. That's a good thing in my eyes, otherwise this forum might start to look like a CRT newsletter.

If you personally find these kinds of posts depressing, and would rather not read them, there's usually a strong clue in the thread title. Don't read them, allow others to do so and reply as they feel appropriate, without being disturbed.

Simples.

• Greenie 1

There are no rules on this forum as to whether you are only allowed to post 'good news' stories. That's a good thing in my eyes, otherwise this forum might start to look like a CRT newsletter.

If you personally find these kinds of posts depressing, and would rather not read them, there's usually a strong clue in the thread title. Don't read them, allow others to do so and reply as they feel appropriate, without being disturbed.

Simples.

Fine, so can you please explain why Mr Brady has opened 2 threads with equally misleading and sensationalist titles, about very similar subjects that have little or nothing really to do with canals, and one of which can't even provide accurate photographs?

Plus all they are is "cut'n'paste" job so that he doesn't even make a personal in-put.

Shurelyh shome mishtake here?

No. That it happened on a towpath is coincidental and irrelevant. It could have happened anywhere and been the same story (apart from the bit about falling in, but that was a minor detail not the main thrust of the story)

ER, so it happened on a towpath, which is very much to do with a canal, and the fellow fell into the canal, which is absolutely to do with a canal.

Yes, Nick.

The canal is merely a prop in the story. Next you'll be telling me that Macbeth was all about a cauldron!

Anyway I see the OP has another fear mongering story on a seperate thread. Is this virtual terrorism?

Edited by nicknorman
  • Greenie 1

The canal is merely a prop in the story. Next you'll be telling me that Macbeth was all about a cauldron!

Anyway I see the OP has another fear mongering story on a seperate thread. Is this virtual terrorism?

Your analogy about Macbeth and the cauldron will keep me smiling all day!

Thanks

The OP has deleted his post in the face of very mild hostility towards it (I for example, refrained from pointing out an obvious error in the story).

IMHO this is an odd thing to do - why not defend the purpose of the post, if not it's complete accuracy?

Deleted - all is fine on canal towpaths, everyone is safe, there are no 'no go' areas, all such news is 'fake news.'

Just because something happens somewhere does not make it a no go area!

If you had just titled the post "Man mugged on towpath" then you probably wouldn't have got the response you did.

Deleted - all is fine on canal towpaths, everyone is safe, there are no 'no go' areas, all such news is 'fake news.'

No need for sarcastic sulkiness. There are occasional attacks and unsafe situations on the canals just as there are almost everywhere else. But there is no need to imply that the canals are thus a no-go area or any more dangerous than anywhere else. It probably wasn't fake news but hyping it up was fake.

As someone who lives not too far from Acock Green it is not that bad an area, and to label it as a not go area is a bit insulting. Shit happens in all sorts of places these days.

Seconded (as somebody who lives in Acocks Green).