Head torch

Nev

Featured Posts

I find my 80 lumen light rather brighter than I need for the towpath and wish there was a way to turn it down.

My cycle light goes down to 50, which I find good if I'm walking. It has a good speas of light so much better than a torch which tend to be more spotlight.

On 200 (my average speed is around 7mph) it's just okay (in pitch dark) 400 would feel better.

FWIW I have an LED Lenser P14.

It has two brightness settings and has a focus feature which allows you have a wide field of spread or a very narrow beam, great torch really well built in metal and takes 4 AA batteries. Not cheap about £50 but its given me 8 yrs of hard use without trouble.

ps I use rechargeables 2700 mAand they last several weeks before they need recharging.

FWIW I have an LED Lenser P14.

It has two brightness settings and has a focus feature which allows you have a wide field of spread or a very narrow beam, great torch really well built in metal and takes 4 AA batteries. Not cheap about £50 but its given me 8 yrs of hard use without trouble.

ps I use rechargeables 2700 mAand they last several weeks before they need recharging.

As a, related, aside do you know of a 12 V charger for the AA batteries?

Excellent head torch here, comes with a charger & 2 Li-ion batteries. Very comfortable to wear. Bright & dim setting. Also has a flashing setting but thats more of a strobe effect & is too fast. Can be zoomed in or out. Has a small red light on the back when it's on. Great for cycling. Guaranteed to pee off peeps like MTB.
Realistically it's 500 Lumens not the claimed 1000 lumens.

£18.99

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00E20W5FC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
61jFxgFb1EL._SL1008_.jpg

Edited by Ssscrudddy

I first came across daytime running lights in Scandinavia in the late 70's.

Ah, fond memories. After learning from a Volvo driver of that era that it drove him mad when people flashed to tell him his lights were on (he couldn't turn them off) I amused myself by flashing at every oncoming Volvo! :D Little things, eh? ;)

Ah, fond memories. After learning from a Volvo driver of that era that it drove him mad when people flashed to tell him his lights were on (he couldn't turn them off) I amused myself by flashing at every oncoming Volvo! :D Little things, eh? ;)

Yes, I find I have to restrain myself from sounding the boat's horn when I hear a car hooting before driving (usually at speed) over a canal bridge :)

Yes, I find I have to restrain myself from sounding the boat's horn when I hear a car hooting before driving (usually at speed) over a canal bridge smile.png

I have that problem when passing a golf course and somebody is teeing off. So tempting to blow the horn and wave.

I suggest getting a pussy cat to guide you along at night, their eyesight is second to none in the dark. There might be little detours en-route though involving tiptoeing along fence tops, walls and over shed roofs with the occasional high speed charge into bushes after mice.

Incidentally, cats have the largest brain per body weight than any other mammals apart from primates and dolphins. That's why they are so clever. closedeyes.gif

Yes, I find I have to restrain myself from sounding the boat's horn when I hear a car hooting before driving (usually at speed) over a canal bridge smile.png

I tend to be unable to resist!

I have that problem when passing a golf course and somebody is teeing off. So tempting to blow the horn and wave.

I won't be able to resist that one either.

That's an EXCELLENT idea.

Tooting at canal bridges is one of those pointless and annoying things 50% of car drivers do. If they can't see to stop they're going TOO F-ING FAST.

I shall sound my boat horn in future in response and see how many emergency stops I can witness... :)

I find LED lenser head torches to be great for those times when I need a pair of hands for something else. I don't use it otherwise as someone here pointed out, they naturally beam all over the place which I imagine can be an annoyance to others.