Webasto Heating

Richard X

Featured Posts

The boat builders are putting a 5.2kw Webasto heating system in to my 70 x 12 widebeam, is it worth upgrading to a 9kw one?

Thanks! smile.png

I have the Webasto 9kw on my 60 x 11 running 5 radiators and calorifier (55ltr) and find it works ok, could do with more radiators to make it works harder, sometimes it shuts down to quick. Recommend having the 7 day 8 setting timer fitted.

Personally you need the opinion of NMEA on this.

I have a 5.2 in my 70x12 and it is more than sufficient. Too much power means you will need to make sure the system is challenged when working, ie if you've a 9kw you need to ensure you've got enough rads on board with sufficient BTU etc to make it work. Its a bit like running a Ferrari around London streets. It will screw it up eventually.

Mine was 3 years old when it needed a new burner due to under being underpowered with single rads.

IF you've got the money, forget the Webasto and put in a Kabola (again NMEA will be a man to get his opinion)

If you stick with Webasto get a Thermocall upgrade so you can turn it on remotely. It is definitely worth it in my opinion.

The boat builders are putting a 5.2kw Webasto heating system in to my 70 x 12 widebeam, is it worth upgrading to a 9kw one?

Thanks! smile.png

Is it going to be the ONLY source of heating? If yes then it sounds a bit small.

If you are having a solid fuel stove as your primary heating and it is just to suppliment that, then it sounds fine to me, but I've never had a widebeam so don't really have any direct experience.

Is it going to be the ONLY source of heating? If yes then it sounds a bit small.

If you are having a solid fuel stove as your primary heating and it is just to suppliment that, then it sounds fine to me, but I've never had a widebeam so don't really have any direct experience.

Good point, one other thing. If it is the only source of heating he is also going to have other more expensive issues as Webasto are not designed for continuous running like a central heating in a house.

Good point, one other thing. If it is the only source of heating he is also going to have other more expensive issues as Webasto are not designed for continuous running like a central heating in a house.

Yes. In fact my advice would be to fit TWO 5kW webastos rather than one big one. Most of the time one will be fine and the other can be brought on line in cold weather. And when one packes up, all is not lost as the other will still deliver some heat.

I strongly advise fitting a solid fuel stove too though. Duplication of functionality is always a Good Thing on a boat.

• Greenie 1

Yes. In fact my advice would be to fit TWO 5kW webastos rather than one big one. Most of the time one will be fine and the other can be brought on line in cold weather. And when one packes up, all is not lost as the other will still deliver some heat.

I strongly advise fitting a solid fuel stove too though. Duplication of functionality is always a Good Thing on a boat.

Thanks for that Mike, that sounds like a good idea!

Yes I'm putting in a 5kw stove.

It sounds to me like the 5.2kw webasto they're putting in will be fine for now and doesn't need upgrading to a 9kw, and if it does put another 5.2kw inline with the one that is already in?!!! Awesome! sounds like a plan to me biggrin.png

Thanks everyone for your input.

Thanks for that Mike, that sounds like a good idea!

Yes I'm putting in a 5kw stove.

It sounds to me like the 5.2kw webasto they're putting in will be fine for now and doesn't need upgrading to a 9kw, and if it does put another 5.2kw inline with the one that is already in?!!! Awesome! sounds like a plan to me biggrin.png

Thanks everyone for your input.

Make sure you (they) don't scrimp and put in single rads, otherwise you are just starting off on the wrong foot. Not sure how to calculate it properly though.

that sounds like what I changed to as they built it with x3 single rads at that size and a small towel rail.

If you look at the radiator spec sheets you'll see the heat output of every size available is specified.

You might as well choose rad sizes so the heat outputs add up to 5kW so as to load the Webby properly. I think the three rads suggested will probably be about right but better to check now rather than after they've been fitted.

• Greenie 1

I would add to those comments made. Insulation, insulation, insulation. Might I suggest that it wont

"cycle" as much what ever you install with the correct approach to retaining the heat the boiler has produced. That means spending on insulation and vapour barriers.

Hi we have a Web 90s in our 57x10 works 9rads plus hot water has worked perfectly for 8 years with no attention or service

Started to be hard to start last October so stripped down and gave it a de coke back in service now and working 100%

We had a 5.2kw fitted on delivery and found it would not provide enough heat for the system as fitted aproximity 10 kW of rads

As I had queried the suitably of 5.2kw for a 10kw system prior to delivery the builder replaced the heater with the 9kw unit

We use it for hot water only in summer and as we have both room and cylinder stats the unit always runs at full chat so no problems with short cycling and sorting up

Do the maths the heater must match the heat required by the rads

Ray

Ok thanks for all that, so in summary the 3 rads and towel rail I'm having fitted should add up to 5.2kw or there abouts for the 5.2kw webasto to work properly/efficiently? Well that makes perfect sense!!!

Cheers! smile.png

depends on the 3 rads you are fitting.........if single then unlikely, if double at size as described by Ditchcrawler and you check the specs as per Mike then most likely. Don't buy just because it looks pretty and modern.

depends on the 3 rads you are fitting.........if single then unlikely, if double at size as described by Ditchcrawler and you check the specs as per Mike then most likely. Don't buy just because it looks pretty and modern.

Thanks, I know a little bit about BTU and radiators as Iv'e fit quite a few and had this little clever device that when you put in how many windows, outside walls, room size, etc it told you the BTU and radiator you need, different kettle of fish on a boat as the calculations wouldn't work the same as it's sat in cold water.

But yes I'll be going for 3 doubles.

• Greenie 1

Interesting comment about "sat in cold water". I wonder what the water temperature in relation to air

temperature is at the moment. I was once told long ago that water cress only grows near a spring as the water

temperature is never below 42F.

Interesting comment about "sat in cold water". I wonder what the water temperature in relation to air

temperature is at the moment. I was once told long ago that water cress only grows near a spring as the water

temperature is never below 42F.

Just try living on a boat when its out of the water in the winter time, you need loads more heat

Can relate Ditchcrawler. Currently "fitting out" my sailaway on the hard at a local kennels. The Wesbasto is in but not currently commissioned. So no heat. Stern and bow doors permanently open with just some polythene make shift cover over the openings.Have got a max and min. gauge which shows for the first couple of hours for the last few days temperature has been just below freezing. Rises once the sun gets up and my body heat helps.

Never gets above 9/10 degrees C. God I hope it`s worth it!!!!!! Haven`t even got a flask so no hot drink. I

must be a bit of a masochist