HMS Trincomalee Hartlepool

I Spartacus

Featured Posts

Having been reading the post on the U-boat I was thinking what was the name of the boat I stayed on in

Portsmouth many years ago. I finally remembered it was the TS Foudroyant which was formally HMS Trincomelee

I was thinking what had happened to this old boat, was it still even floating !. Well it is fantastic to

see it has been restored and now in Hartlepool. Just thinking have any other members either stayed on the

Foudroyant when it was a training ship, or have you visited the historic dockyard and been on the

Trincomelee. I looks like they have done a fantastic job on the restoration I would love to go an see her

again

http://www.hms-trincomalee.co.uk/visit/getting-here

edit for bad fingers

Edited by I Spartacus

We've been twice to see her. It's a really good experience on a human scale as opposed toa first rater like HMS Victory. Wherever you stand you can imagine something of what life was like 200 years ago.

Did they fret as much about lamp oil and wicks, as some on here do about batteries, inverters etc?

We used to live in Southampton and remember Foudroyant. Many years ago when holidaying in the Yorkshire Moors we visited the ship in Hartlepool. We were the only visitors and so had our own personal guide to show us round.

I stayed on Foudroyant in the 50's for a week.

I recall sailing across to the IoW on a naval whaler, visiting the submarine on Gosport, and peeling spuds by rumbling them around in a great big tumbler vessel. The most vivid memory is when the water boat came alongside to fill the ship's tanks; a great big spherical rope fender was used as the boat made contact - it buried itself deep in the side of Foudroyant just above the waterline - she must have been quite rotten.

I stayed on Foudroyant in the 50's for a week.

I recall sailing across to the IoW on a naval whaler, visiting the submarine on Gosport, and peeling spuds by rumbling them around in a great big tumbler vessel. The most vivid memory is when the water boat came alongside to fill the ship's tanks; a great big spherical rope fender was used as the boat made contact - it buried itself deep in the side of Foudroyant just above the waterline - she must have been quite rotten.

I spent a week on Foudroyant, as it was called then, in the late 1960s. It was sadly in need of repair in those days. I helped out a bit and built the capstan head, which was still in place when I visited the ship a couple of years ago.

The old ship does look good, and is a credit to the people of Hartlepool who rebuilt it. Definitely worth a visit if you get the chance.

• 2 weeks later...

And how do you rate it as a wedding venue?

different I suppose ... the shin-dig was in their function suite upstairs which was nice enough... it might not even be open any more though - Jacksons Landing was derelict last time I went back to visit.

Well there's something I've learned today - I had no idea that the Foudroyant I passed so often up the trot in Portsmouth was Trincomalee! Fabulous restoration effort - I hope to get to Hartlepool for a visit later this year.

Thanks for posting.

Lovely old ship. I well remember her as Foudroyant and spent many a tipsy evening aboard. HMS Warrior in Portsmouth was restored in Hartlepool as a swap and she is immaculate. Shame about poor old victory, frankly she looks like she needs a can of petrol and a match to put the poor old girl out of her misery.