Mold,Mildew and Algae affected cover owners wanted.

Kinver Canopies

Featured Posts

NO! :smiley_offtopic:

My apologies, I wasn't a member when the following thread was discussed.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=82258

So no connection as Kinver Canopies was started off by ex employees of Wilsons, according to the information in the thread above.

I understand now.

Many thanks.

So in relation to my previous point re green algae on the inside of a cotton sided canopy, would this new product deal with that?

:clapping:

You seem to agree that this was off topic, I guess "clapping" seems to show support for a post, of course I could be wrong. I can't see why I was off topic, the thread was interested in getting rid of algae and the like, I had a canopy that had green algae on the inside, and all I did was ask if the new product was able to shift it. So on topic. A bit of background on why the algae appeared on the inside was I thought important, as this vinyl cover was supposed to keep water out. Not many vinyl covers have green on the inside I guess. So on topic.

My canopy that went green was made by a company in Kinver, so can't be many companies making boat canopies in Kinver, so a simple question to see if there was a link, was not unreasonable, so how can that be off topic?

I did not critisise Wilson or Kinver canopies in anyway. It was the product that to me appeared to cause the green algae on the inside.

I just wondered if ever I find myself or friends on other forums with a similar canopy in the future, I might know where to purchase some stuff from.

Sorry, Do you mean,"Can we treat a boat with green covers that is situated in Overwater marina"

If so , then yes.

Very sorry, we have a blue pram hood and dodger that attracts green every year, moored at Overwater. We normally clean annually with Fabsil and waterproofer

Me please, if I'm not too late. We're in Market Harborough (just round the corner from Debdale) Do you do repairs?

Yep, contact details please. If you want to get the cover to us by post, bring it to us yourself and wait or have us pick it up for repair ( obliviously there would be for a charge for these two) then we could give it the free treatment to test the algae zapper and return it to you for photos.

the thread was interested in getting rid of algae and the like, I had a canopy that had green algae on the inside, and all I did was ask if the new product was able to shift it.

This is what we want to test.

My canopy that went green was made by a company in Kinver, so can't be many companies making boat canopies in Kinver,

My friend, you would be surprised!

Very sorry, we have a blue pram hood and dodger that attracts green every year, moored at Overwater. We normally clean annually with Fabsil and waterproofer

Perfect. Hope this should sort it, Lets get some details.

Sorry, missed this one.

Yep should be fine, just need some details.

Think that's probably enough for now.

Thanks all for your replies...

Good work all round folks.

Don't use Mr Muscle on your expensive fabric cratch cover or pram hood because if it's a very nice and expensive one, chances are that the cloth used is worsted spun mohair (as used on car tonneau hoods) and even weak household bleach will dissolve animal protein. Mohair will dye effectively with food colour and vinegar though. Don't try black food colour because it's actually dark green or blue; that's how my Dad kept his Edwardian suit looking smart in the 50s.

Yep, contact details please. If you want to get the cover to us by post, bring it to us yourself and wait or have us pick it up for repair ( obliviously there would be for a charge for these two) then we could give it the free treatment to test the algae zapper and return it to you for photos.

Thanks all for your replies...

If not already used, Algae Zapper is a good name. As long as it does,of course!

• 4 weeks later...

I've now applied the liquid as told to.....diluted 1:4 and then applied ŵith a plant spray

I've hopefully attached some pictures showing before & after....there's about 10 days between the pictures purely because it was the first dry day after I applied it

Before

post-1483-0-93081000-1487531080_thumb.jpg

post-1483-0-83519000-1487531093_thumb.jpg

After

post-1483-0-32698300-1487531108_thumb.jpg

post-1483-0-23371400-1487531134_thumb.jpg

It's left a grey residue which when I get a chance I will run a hose over to see how easy it comes off.

It's certainly stopped the green which every other cleaner I've tried has failed at so I'm pretty impressed so far....it also doesn't seem to have affected the waterproofing.

As an aside I also sprayed my natrual rope tipcats & button which were going green and it's got rid of that too which I was quite happy about. They will get a dose of proper creosote when they dry out enough.

Anyway hope that's been useful.

Wouldn't be "Wet & Forget" by any chance?

No idea! Was supplied by Kinver Canopies in an unmarked bottle.....I'm sure they will be back shortly....I'm just glad to find something that worked....I've tried the fabsil cleaner and one made by a company called Aglaze which had been the best up to now.

No idea! Was supplied by Kinver Canopies in an unmarked bottle.....I'm sure they will be back shortly....I'm just glad to find something that worked....I've tried the fabsil cleaner and one made by a company called Aglaze which had been the best up to now.

Wet and Forget which we have used and been impressed by is a blue liquid. . How you were told to use it sounds very like how you use Wet And Forget.

haggis

• 2 months later...
On 19/02/2017 at 20:38, haggis said:

Wet and Forget which we have used and been impressed by is a blue liquid. . How you were told to use it sounds very like how you use Wet And Forget.

haggis

Hi Haggis

It's Kinver Canopies Algae Zapper different ingredients  to W+F to allow for materials used on but a similar outcome .  We now have it in stock with proper bottles and instructions.  But if you want any more info then contact us or visit website because I don't want to discuss it on the forum as we can't advertise.

This stuff is brilliant!  Kinver Canopies sprayed my cover when they did some repairs for me.  Should have took some before and after pictures to show how good this stuff is.  It still seems to be working some five months later. Need to get a 5 litre container.

(no relation just a very satisfied customer)

• 5 years later...

This cruising season we have experienced mould growth inside our fabric cratch. I have spraying white vinegar on it to stop its growth.  

I am looking for something for next year cruise. 

Has anyone used the algae zapper on the inside of their cratch?

Thanks 

I've not used this 'inside' but Kinver Canopies did a refurb on my 15 year old canopy earlier this year.  It was absolutely covered with lichen and algae and, after trying pressure washing etc. I thought it was beyond redemption. Not so. Miraculously, it now looks like new, so this algae zapper really works. It's a long cratch cover (10ft +) so saved me lot of money. Highly recommended.  No connection etc., other than as a satisfied customer.