Mold,Mildew and Algae affected cover owners wanted.

Kinver Canopies

Featured Posts

Hello All.

I'm looking for a volunteer or more. We need someone quite close to us or in an area we get to offten that has a cratch/stern cover that is 'a bit green' .
We are offering a free treatment of what will soon (we hope) be our new Mold/midew/algae remover.
We would like to treat the cover (on site, or you can bring it to us) then take photos every few days so we can see the deterioration of the gunge.

If you are in a marina that we visit often that would also be fine but would ask the volunteer to take the photos and send them to us.

Before the inevitable starts I can confirm that this post has been cleared with the admin of the highest order and is not an advertising post.

We really are looking for affected covers and willing participants so we can study the break down of the green over time.

Feel free to drop us an email,message on the forum or call. I won't post any contact details but we are easy enough to find if you want to take part.

Thanks in advance for your time. biggrin.png

Im a Debdale Wharf Marina with an acrylic cover that has some stubborn green that wont shift where the cover goes over the cants.....i can send pics if thats helpful.....ive tried some other products but none seem to either clean fully or stop regrowth.....let me know!

Cheers

Presumably you will be looking to test your product on a variety of materials, as there will be different reactions according to the absorbency etc. Also you mention mold (sic), mildew and algae - these are very different things and affect fabrics in different ways. If you've got a solution for all scenarios then you've built a better mousetrap, as the saying goes, and should be able to retire early!

I have PM'd you, too.

Replied ;)

Im a Debdale Wharf Marina with an acrylic cover that has some stubborn green that wont shift where the cover goes over the cants.....i can send pics if thats helpful.....ive tried some other products but none seem to either clean fully or stop regrowth.....let me know!

Cheers

Yep send us a photo, not sure when we are next Debdale way. If you email the photo I'll try to get you sorted out.. Lets see if it work on Stubborn!

Presumably you will be looking to test your product on a variety of materials, as there will be different reactions according to the absorbency etc. Also you mention mold (sic), mildew and algae - these are very different things and affect fabrics in different ways. If you've got a solution for all scenarios then you've built a better mousetrap, as the saying goes, and should be able to retire early!

Fingers crossed !!! This time next year Rodders, this time next year!

I sprayed my green mouldy cratch cover the other day with Mr Muscle kitchen cleaner (with bleach) and all the mould has gone.

It was probably algae on your cratch cover, especially at this time of the year. The bleach kills it and removes the colour from the green chlorophyll. I used it for years on polytunnels for the same purpose, but you've got to be careful on natural fibres as the bleach can rot them into holes.

Has Kinver canopies any business connection with Wilson canopies?

The reason I ask, we had a canopy made by Wilsons many years back, it had a white cotton inner lining to the blue vinyl material.

Seemed a good idea at the time, and really brightened up the cockpit.

However, as this was a new to market material, the inner cotton lining was always damp, and algae grew on the inside of the canopy, for seversl inches up from the seams, nothing worked at getting rid of it. Bleach rotted the cotton leaving exposed vinyl.

In addition, the vinyl material shrunk, making the canopy virtually impossible to refit in the evening as it had gone cold and contracted. All lift the dot fittings were at least 1/4" out in all directions, very difficult to attempt to stretch the canopy, a few grazed knuckles trying to push down the canopy, with the inevitable slip, and hitting my knuckles on the deck. With all the tension, the seams at the top started to go too. I took 1/2" off the aluminium support poles to relieve the tension, but that only helped a little, as the canopy continued to shrink.

I think it was a reflection of the material rather than the manufacture.

I think the old canopy has been lying in the shed for 6 years, I kept it in case I wanted to recycle any lift the dot fittings. Probably seen a few mice too. lol

Edited by RD1