What distances from your boat?

sal garfi

Featured Posts

I was wondering, out of curiosity - and this is for the non-live-aboards - how far away from your boat do you live? I for instance, stay on my boat when I'm working in Nottingham, but I live in Wales, so my journey time is around three and a quarter hours to Sawley. When my contract is up, I'll move the boat closer to home, but that'll still be two and a quarter hours drive away either at Ellesmere or Wixhall. So how much time are people willing to travel from their 'bricks and mortar' to enjoy the cut?

Edited by sal garfi

About hour and a half.

Athy - off topic but quick question - drove along Well Creek yesterday and noticed a narrowboat called Starling which is getting in an awful state. Have seen her a few times now and she never moves and gets more and more run down. Is there a story there?

Edited by Traveller

Ours used to be 3 1/2 hours away, we moved it to within 12 minutes from our daughter' house, we babysit every week so now very convenient.

We were so worried when it was 200 miles away, first frost, first snow... is it ok? We went to check it every 3 months in the winter, heart in mouth incase the windows leaked, as they did once and destroyed 4 sleeping bags, 4 pillows, and the only thing I could do was double tarp it, tape the window seals and plan another visit to reseal the window at a time it was going to be dry for 48 hours.

Now I start a job, prototype or pattern it, progress it over the next few days at home with a workshop full of tools, then return to the boat a few days after to do first fix..etc. Better than trying to bodge it on the boat with a screwdriver as a chisel, and the wrong size drill bit, or the wrong size screws.

Nothing worse that knowing you have the right tool for the job at home, but it is 7 hours return trip away.

I have bought hole saws locally to complete a job, knowing I have the same item at home virtually new in a box doh.

Now, I can shelve the job, knowing 6 days later "I'll be back"...

We have a journey of around an hour to our boat but the walk from the car park to boat is another 10 minutes.

It used to be more like an hour and 15 minutes before we moved - except on a Friday night it was very rarely an hour and fifteen minutes!

Interestingly we have two completely different routes we use to get to our boat, one using the motorway and the other not. Both take about the same amount of time but the motorway usually feels faster and I suspect is cheaper as we are not stop start. Recently a road was closed and we took a diverison through roads we had never used before and found it lops a corner off the trip and is faster.