What distances from your boat?

sal garfi

Featured Posts

Shurely "trains"?

Reminds me of a game of 'I spy' with the kids many years ago. One of them picked the letter 'C'. No-one could guess it. We demanded the second letter as a clue. He gave us 'H'. So word began with 'ch'. Still we couldn't get it.

Turned out his word was "chrain", pointing at the steam loco near by!

Oh and later we also had 'dress', spelled 'jress'!

I blame the teachers ;)

Ahhhh - someone else who had to learn the rhymes at school.

..................... 8 furlongs one mile.

Nope!

(Hopefully) Way too young to have had to learn those kinds of measurements at school!

I helped with boat trips into Sapperton Tunnel for a few years and it was useful to know when explaining the chain markers on the wall :)

If Newtown Basin on the Montgomery Canal was open we could moor within 10mins of home.Never likely to happen. Planning permission has just been applied for, for the "Timber Wharf",which I think is the present builders yard. Another nail in the coffin for Newtown.

I don't think blue is the right colour for a dog. Even the Smurfs' dog isn't blue:

http://smurfs.wikia.com/wiki/Puppy_(character)

An American artist of some renown is famous for his “Blue dog” paintings, of which there are apparently many prints. They are somewhat strange to my taste, but there is no accounting for that of others.

Trojan used to be at the end of our garden, now she's 96 miles away.

Athy, how long does it take to get from your place to your boat? It is not the best of journeys if I recall. I ask as we are thinking of going back to Crick but the journey might be prohibitive.

Athy, how long does it take to get from your place to your boat? It is not the best of journeys if I recall. I ask as we are thinking of going back to Crick but the journey might be prohibitive.

On average 2 hours 10 minutes. We go cross-country (along the 16-foot Drain then through Earith and Chatteris, from memory) to the A14 near Bar Hill, then on to the A45, then A43. If you make more use of the loud pedal (we don't knowingly exceed any speed limits) you could do it in 2 hours.

Where in Norfolk are you?

Edited by Athy

On average 2 hours 10 minutes. We go cross-country (along the 16-foot Drain then through Earith and Chatteris, from memory) to the A14 near Bar Hill, then on to the A45, then A43. If you make more use of the loud pedal (we don't knowingly exceed any speed limits) you could do it in 2 hours.

Where in Norfolk are you?

We're at Potter Heigham so can add at least 2 hours to that journey I reckon. To be honest I am not sure how much longer we will stay on the Norfolk Broads. Love it like I do, this part of Norfolk is not ideal should one want to go anywhere but Norfolk. I reckon it takes 2 hours just to get out of the County! Add to that the fact that I am not a Broads boater; personally I find it very limited (unless into sailing) so we are looking to move more central. Thought about Downham Market or even perhaps the area Downham side of March. Mind you there is also Lincs as we have family over there.

We're at Potter Heigham so can add at least 2 hours to that journey I reckon. To be honest I am not sure how much longer we will stay on the Norfolk Broads. Love it like I do, this part of Norfolk is not ideal should one want to go anywhere but Norfolk. I reckon it takes 2 hours just to get out of the County! Add to that the fact that I am not a Broads boater; personally I find it very limited (unless into sailing) so we are looking to move more central. Thought about Downham Market or even perhaps the area Downham side of March. Mind you there is also Lincs as we have family over there.

Crikey, yes, people don't realise how big East Anglia is! We live in the "Downham side of March" at Upwell, it's fine as long as you don't love hills.

I know it - after a house fire five years ago, we lived for a month in the Lamb & Flag Inn.

Know the Lamb and Flag well. Used to be a good pub and still is from what I hear. We lived in the old police house in Welney (that is not the name of the house but what it was in a previous life), it was just down from the old pub that is now a house (can't recall its name when a pub). It is on the main road, B1101 is it, that runs down through Welney Wash.

We take two & a half hours to get to Perth, W.A. then 20 hours to get to Manchester, so with sitting around waiting at airports and train stations probably the quickest we could be to our boat would be 30 hours. But boy is it worth it!

Ten miles away. About 15 minutes away by car. I allow an hour on my bike. The bus takes an hour too. It seems to stop at every other lampost. I can also go by train but it's a two part journey via Preston so we've only done that twice in the last decade when we've brought the boat back in the autumn.

I live in one of my boats do the distance is 0 hours.

The other boat is about 20 litres away...

But at least if you ring someone up, and get them to start the engine for you, you can hear it is still there!