CWF Broken - Error With The Database

Featured Posts

It sounds as if someone has repaired your table and it wasn't a carpenter. There would be a program that does it, and maybe with modern database software it even runs automatically when needed.

The use of the term "crashed" does seem odd to me, because I've only previously seen that used in IT for its real world meaning, referring to the (expensive) collision which could occur when the read/write heads of a hard disk drive were not accurately aligned, so touched the platters and ruined the pack. It was a major worry back in the 1980s; modern sealed hard drives are far cheaper and more reliable and backups are far easier to make. As a programmer I was never in a computer room at the time such an event happened, but I gather it would make a horrendous screeching noise. I once spent months rewriting lost programs after a disk crash when some impatient numpty manager decided to put the backup pack in one morning instead of waiting for IT to turn up (no mobile phones then), and wrecked that too.

It sounds as if someone has repaired your table and it wasn't a carpenter. There would be a program that does it, and maybe with modern database software it even runs automatically when needed.

The use of the term "crashed" does seem odd to me, because I've only previously seen that used in IT for its real world meaning, referring to the (expensive) collision which could occur when the read/write heads of a hard disk drive were not accurately aligned, so touched the platters and ruined the pack. It was a major worry back in the 1980s; modern sealed hard drives are far cheaper and more reliable and backups are far easier to make. As a programmer I was never in a computer room at the time such an event happened, but I gather it would make a horrendous screeching noise. I once spent months rewriting lost programs after a disk crash when some impatient numpty manager decided to put the backup pack in one morning instead of waiting for IT to turn up (no mobile phones then), and wrecked that too.

I am not sure if you are suggesting that it was my laptop, or the forum that 'crashed'.

As I was able to get onto every other website that I wanted to, and that there was about a 7 hour gap of zero posts on the CWF I assumed it was CWF at 'fault' - this thought was 'reinforced' when another poster, shortly after my post. had similar problems.

Not so!

As an ex database administrator once responsible for literally hundreds of operational databases around the world, I can assure you it is perfectly normal to say that a database that is no longer delivering the goods is "crashed", irrespective of the underlying cause.

Of course the cause can be physical, and often is. We had so many terabytes of disk on line, much of it not hardware mirrored that database crashes due to disk failures could be being dealt with several times a week, (not all companies were or are prepared to pay for the kind of hardware redundancy that can avoid this).

However there are plenty of reasons why a database may stop working that don't involve physical failure of hardware. A very obvious one would be if it had become completely full with no space for new or updated data. An end user may well see similar fatal error messages to what we have experienced here.... "SQL Error........"

To the database administrator it is still a crash, even if it can (for example) still be quickly rectified by allocating more disk space to the tablespaces involved.

Oh how I miss those days...... (Not!.....)

Edited by alan_fincher

Table is crashed is a common enough MySQL error message, and easy enough to fix.

Interesting, if I try to access certain threads via the new company tent button to the left of the title I get the database error message, but if I access the thread via the title, I can see the thread, albeit from the first post, not where I had read up to.

if I try to load via my Chrome bookmark for CWDF, it is still showing the database error.

when I loaded it from Google search it comes up fine.

watzatabaht then?

Because your chrome browser is using a cached page from when the database wasn't working. You need to force a reload, <F5> usually does it, but maybe <Ctrl>+<F5> if its stubborn.

Thanks all.

I was alerted at work by PMs and posts of the same via the facebook group with a copy of the error result and messaged Richard who repaired the corrupt table in the database (well, told it to repair itself) which took around an hour or so of high CPU usage before the site was repaired.

A a few members will likely have see caches copies of the error for a while, but all issues should now be resolved and anyone still seeing them simply needs to hit F5 or clear their cache as said.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Daniel

Looks like the spillchock version of "New Content" button.

Correct.

Looks like my tablets auto word mangling function is in fine fettle :)

Edited to add a missing smiley. Anyone know why the smilies generated by my tablet don't work on this site?

Edited by cuthound