Leicester Ring

Stephen and Kate

Featured Posts

Looking to do the Leicester Ring in late July. Starting from Napton Narrowboats, I have allowed 2 weeks and want go anticlockwise. Any advise please,good places to stop and things to look out for. As always value your advise

Nice trip for 2 weeks.

Don't know the whole route but do take the trouble to visit the Welford arm. Also visit The Swan at Fradley, Greyhound at Sutton Stop, and Admiral Nelson at Braunston. All famous canal pubs.

And on the last night go past the base, turn in the winding hole before Napton locks, moor up and walk to the Folly at Napton bottom lock. Although beware if it is a Sunday as there might not be any food.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg
  • Greenie 1

There are many threads which cover this route. Suggest you google search for them. I would simply duplicate my earlier comments here.

However if you have specific queries relating to Leicester the river Soar and Trent sections I'm happy to answer them.

One point is that are new pontoons in Leicester just north of the ones at Castle Gardens at Friars Mill - these have water and power and are secure. They are not in any guidebook.

One further point on safety if there is any fresh in the Soar take care at Barrow bridge - I suggest that you look at it before leaving the lock and decide on how you will approach. I normally get as far upstream as possible when leaving the lock cut then put on power to turn with the stream to get lined up for the low sprung navigation arch. This is unmarked and is the centre one of three.

And on the last night go past the base, turn in the winding hole before Napton locks, moor up and walk to the Folly at Napton bottom lock. Although beware if it is a Sunday as there might not be any food.

JP

Is The Bridge at Napton still there?, it looked like it was open last time we went past on the road a few months ago.

Further to my above post Leicester is a safe place to stop and explore. It is a bit grotty in places but we have never had problems apart from crap on the prop.

Loughborough is also worth stopping for. Even if only for it's excellent shops.

Edited by Richard T

• 3 months later...
On 17/01/2017 at 21:38, Captain Pegg said:

Don't know the whole route but do take the trouble to visit the Welford arm. Also visit The Swan at Fradley, Greyhound at Sutton Stop, and Admiral Nelson at Braunston. All famous canal pubs.

We ate at the Admiral Nelson last week whilst doing the Warwickshire ring - stunning pub, stunning location, stunning food. stunning beer. Fantastic staff. Can't recommend it highly enough.

1 minute ago, Robster said:

We ate at the Admiral Nelson last week whilst doing the Warwickshire ring - stunning pub, stunning location, stunning food. stunning beer. Fantastic staff. Can't recommend it highly enough.

The swan at Fradley is my fav. It recently changed hands but I am hoping the food is still mediocre as good food is usualy the death of a good pub. I did pop in a few months ago and it hadnt changed much so I hope it doesnt get plasticised and " modernised "

4 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

The swan at Fradley is my fav. It recently changed hands but I am hoping the food is still mediocre as good food is usualy the death of a good pub. I did pop in a few months ago and it hadnt changed much so I hope it doesnt get plasticised and " modernised "

Quite agree.  Once a pub becomes food oriented it usually changes for the worse - different clientele, different priorities, nowhere to sit and have a quiet pint.  Even worse, family oriented.

But I agree the Mucky Duck didn't seem to have changed much when I was there last summer - but lost a point in my pub scoring system because I had to sit outside because of the increase in the number of people eating.

2 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Quite agree.  Once a pub becomes food oriented it usually changes for the worse - different clientele, different priorities, nowhere to sit and have a quiet pint.  Even worse, family oriented.

But I agree the Mucky Duck didn't seem to have changed much when I was there last summer - but lost a point in my pub scoring system because I had to sit outside because of the increase in the number of people eating.

Yes it was last summer I was there come to think of it. I agree too many pubs are now cafes/restaurants with kids in and absolootely ruined. :(

19 hours ago, Robster said:

Apart from that though, it has little to commend it. ;)

Once a pub gets good, it's had it. We used to drink in a cardboard box in t'middle o t'road, then they stopped doing crap food and ruined it.