Edgbaston Tunnel. W & B Canal

pearley

Featured Posts

A topic on facebook states there is a suggestion of widening the towpath through the tunnel to make it easier and safer for cyclists and pedestrian. If true, this would make the runnel one way, though I personally always wait if a boat is coming the other way.

I saw this post.....does anyone know if it's serious? I really hope not....I love watching two high speed cyclists meet there as I boat through!!

Seriously though it's getting daft if it's getting to the stage of rebuilding historic structures just to keep a user group who don't even directly contribute to the upkeep of the network happy.

Gareth

• Greenie 1

I saw this post.....does anyone know if it's serious? I really hope not....I love watching two high speed cyclists meet there as I boat through!!

Seriously though it's getting daft if it's getting to the stage of rebuilding historic structures just to keep a user group who don't even directly contribute to the upkeep of the network happy.

Gareth

I have heard this from another source. I am told that C&RT intend to consult on the matter but hear there is already opposition on the grounds of pedestrian safety.

Gareth

Whilst not directly related to this particular stretch, I feel I should point out that 'Sustrans' do directly contribute to the upkeep and refurbishment of the canal towpaths in order to make them suitable for canal users, cyclists and walkers.

http://www.sustrans.org.uk/policy-evidence/the-impact-of-our-work/great-new-canal-towpath-walking-and-cycling-sale-and

Just thought some people might be interested.

Kevin

• Greenie 1

This tunnel is in constant use by pedestrians and cyclists going to and from the university, the hospital and city centre. The arch of the tunnel restricts the height above of the towpath to a great degree as you can see. This makes the useable width very narrow and impossible for two cyclists to pass easily. It also makes it unsafe for a pedestrian to pass a cyclist.

.8b70b84c-eef7-4cfd-9f2c-063af8259438_xla

I understand and sympathise with the arguments about retaining historic structures but if it was my Granddaughter using this towpath regularly to get to university I would want to know that it was safe for her to do so. The canals and towpaths should be safe for all​ users whether or not they make a financial contribution. Converting this short tunnel to one-way working would, in my opinion, do nothing to damage either it's structure or it's historic value.

• Greenie 1

This tunnel is in constant use by pedestrians and cyclists going to and from the university, the hospital and city centre. The arch of the tunnel restricts the height above of the towpath to a great degree as you can see. This makes the useable width very narrow and impossible for two cyclists to pass easily. It also makes it unsafe for a pedestrian to pass a cyclist.

.8b70b84c-eef7-4cfd-9f2c-063af8259438_xla

I understand and sympathise with the arguments about retaining historic structures but if it was my Granddaughter using this towpath regularly to get to university I would want to know that it was safe for her to do so. The canals and towpaths should be safe for all​ users whether or not they make a financial contribution. Converting this short tunnel to one-way working would, in my opinion, do nothing to damage either it's structure or it's historic value.

Its not unsafe its inconvenient for a cycle to wait at one end if one is coming the other way, it becomes unsafe when they don't or they don't stop for pedestrians. There is a rail along the waters edge so they can't fall or be pushed into the canal. The idea of widening the towpath has already happened in London http://www.bike99.com/16.html

• Greenie 1

Its not unsafe its inconvenient for a cycle to wait at one end if one is coming the other way, it becomes unsafe when they don't or they don't stop for pedestrians. There is a rail along the waters edge so they can't fall or be pushed into the canal. The idea of widening the towpath has already happened in London http://www.bike99.com/16.html

Except that floating towpath wasn't put there to widen the path. It was actually to provide a continuous path that didn't originally exist.

And it's not the only floating towpath. There's a section under the motorway on the Rochdale that can be pulled out of the way to allow widebeams to pass. I seem to recall another section on the Droitwich Barge Canal and there was a bit by St. Pancras Lock a couple of years ago although cyclists were told to dismount for that.

Whilst I agree that headroom for pedestrians and cyclists is very restricted at the tunnel, it is no worse than many bridges. Broad Street Tunnel is particularly bad being kinked.

It would be nice to think we could educate cyclists to be more considerate but that's probably a bit fancible.

• Greenie 2

Given it is so short and the approach from both direction is straight, I don't think there is any great need for two boats to pass in the tunnel.

The towpath is busy with cyclists so it does not see that unreasonable to widen the towpath a bit and make it one way working for boats.

To me this would be one to concede on, and save the battles for other issues.

• Greenie 1

Can't the cyclists be routed instead through the other tunnel to the right of it?...................

(I'll get my coat!)

Given your quote and knowing that you have an interest in railways maybe you should have said "i'll get my anorak"

• Greenie 1

Given it is so short and the approach from both direction is straight, I don't think there is any great need for two boats to pass in the tunnel.

The towpath is busy with cyclists so it does not see that unreasonable to widen the towpath a bit and make it one way working for boats.

To me this would be one to concede on, and save the battles for other issues.

Agree with this, no hardship to wait for oncoming boat to exit the tunnel, about 5 minutes?

Is it a busy tunnel (boats)?

Whilst not directly related to this particular stretch, I feel I should point out that 'Sustrans' do directly contribute to the upkeep and refurbishment of the canal towpaths in order to make them suitable for canal users, cyclists and walkers.

By 'upkeep and refurbishment' do you mean putting a hard surface down and making it difficult if not impossible to moor a boat if there are no rings or bollards?

Agree with this, no hardship to wait for oncoming boat to exit the tunnel, about 5 minutes?

Well no, actually. This stirkes me as the thin end of a wedge where towpath users have priority over navigation.

• Greenie 2

http://www.sustrans.org.uk/policy-evidence/the-impact-of-our-work/great-new-canal-towpath-walking-and-cycling-sale-and

Just thought some people might be interested.

Kevin

But what exactly do you mean by "contribute"?

Sustrans own website (http://www.sustrans.org.uk/about-us/annual-review) shows that the vast bulk of their income comes from central and local government. So they are not contributing much of their own funds to the upkeep and refurbishment of towpaths, just channelling government money.

140 years ago rail passengers took priority when the canal was narrowed to 7' beam for the construction of the railway bridges at Selly Oak. There were probably people then predicting that railways would be built over all the canals (yes I know it happened in some places but equally there are also roads on old canals). The canal company at that time benefited from payments for having the railway built on it's land immediately adjacent to the canal.

There are definite parallels but the interesting thing is the technology seemingly going backwards.

If it happens - and I won't get too bothered if it does - I hope the residual beam of the canal is left a little wider than at Selly Oak. There isn't actually any water at all just an emulsion of rubbish and dirt to plough through. Have never managed to get through there without creating a vortex of sh1t around the propellor. Perhaps I need some badly placed anodes to break it up.

JP

Are there any countries in Europe (as if that counts for anything!) that are reducing the width of their waterways? It seems to be happening a lot on our canals - I could come up with lots of examples!

Examples that reduce it beyond the ability for two boats of the advertised maximum beam to pass each other?

Do you not think the original canal companies made a rod for everyone's back way back in the beginning by building perhaps the majority of bridges effectively for one way working only? It's nothing new.

JP

ETA - I do realise that the bridges on the W&B were built to 14' width despite it being a narrow canal. I have never tried to pass a another boat in one of the bridge holes though. Might cause a bit of consternation with the other party.

Edited by Captain Pegg

I had a look at the cyclists' forum where they were discussing this tunnel and its towpath. A recurring theme was, "There are currently no lights in the tunnel so we can't see where we're going".

Er, do bicycles not have a useful accessory called a headlamp?

Edited by Athy

I had a look at the cyclists' forum where they were discussing this tunnel and its towpath. A recurring theme was, "There are currently no lights in the tunnel so we can't see where we're going".

Er, do bicycles not have a useful accessory called a headlamp?

But it is lit!

But it is lit!

The lights are back on now, are they?

Perhaps the contractors who achieved this feat could be sent along to Newbold Tunnel on the North Oxford, whose lights have been going off one by one for some time - last time we went through, in September, none was left working at all.

But what exactly do you mean by "contribute"?

Sustrans own website (http://www.sustrans.org.uk/about-us/annual-review) shows that the vast bulk of their income comes from central and local government. So they are not contributing much of their own funds to the upkeep and refurbishment of towpaths, just channelling government money.

I realise this has gone off the topic that the OP was referring to, and I have never been through the said tunnel either in my boat or on my bike. But I was pointing out that it isn't just CR&T who contribute to the upkeep of the towpaths and another poster has pointed out that it could be different if CR&T funded everything related to the canals. But whilst others, such as Sustrans, contribute, then we all help through paying our taxes.

The lights are back on now, are they?

Perhaps the contractors who achieved this feat could be sent along to Newbold Tunnel on the North Oxford, whose lights have been going off one by one for some time - last time we went through, in September, none was left working at all.

I didn't realise that they are temporarily defunct. So there are lights; but they are currently unlit.

JP