Rattling noise coming from my stove fan

Featured Posts

Hello,

I seem to have an annoying rattling sound coming from my stove fan. It even makes the noise when I pick it up and it's not in contact with anything. The blades definitely aren't touching I can't work out what it could be? I have had to stop using it as it's keeping me awake at night

I've just had a similar problem with mine so treated it with WD40 (obviously away from the heat!) and, so far, it is quieter.

If you use 3-in-1 oil instead of water displacement spray it might even last a while.

Possibly the overheating mechanism. Some fans have a bimetallic strip in the base that lifts when hot to prevent damage. Or the base is distorting enough to allow out of balance blades to set up an oscillation. Mine, a 3blade ecofan, does this for a particular range of temperatures.

Hi,

You can get spare fan motors, for the Canadian unit from Cal Fire (Google for details).

My Bi-metallic strip bent, I tried to get a spare from them and they said it's not necessary to fit one. Removed it and the unit has been working satisfactorily.

The noise sounds like a worn bearing.

I sent mine back to Cal Fire for an overhaul and got a virtually new unit back.

They do spread heat evenly in the boat - recently, 24 hours fire on, no fan, cold at back when I got back to the boat, 24 hours with fire and fan on , warm at back of boat on re-entry, same external weather conditions.

Hope this helps.

Edited by LEO

Ours rattles when the fire is very hot and the bimetallic strip tilts it to the maximum angle, at this point I lift it off and put it back once the fire has burnt down a bit.

That is a good point, the amount of rattle tells how the stove is doing