water tank taste in water

wullie

Featured Posts

Best is to open the inspection port (lid) and have a look in to see what is causing the trouble.

A welded stainless tank probably doesn't have an inspection hatch.

Rinsing the tank with thin bleach might help, there's been a few threads on her about that over the years.

Last summer we cruised our NB back from Gloucester to the Wey, a cracking voyage.

However, we noticed that some water refills were horrible with a strong chemical taste and smell and at other places the water was sweet.

We got into the regime of tasting before contaminating our tank with inferior water.

The problem caused much angst and prompted us to keep a record with the intention to name and shame here the worst boat yards, hire companies and general water points.

We really were not impressed!

The galley was cluttered up with 5L containers of good water to see us through hostile territory.

Long story short - 6 months and 237 miles later, after reaching our winter mooring and finding that the water on one side of the marina was pants whilst on the other it was good - it FINALLY dawned on me that the problem was in fact our own shiny new long yellow hose!

Sometimes we had used a fixed hose, sometimes an old short tatty hose that came with the boat and sometime our long yellow hose.

Now replaced it with a blue "food safe" hose and suddenly the water is always nice!?

• Greenie 2

The galley was cluttered up with 5L containers of good water to see us through hostile territory.

Long story short - 6 months and 237 miles later, after reaching our winter mooring and finding that the water on one side of the marina was pants whilst on the other it was good - it FINALLY dawned on me that the problem was in fact our own shiny new long yellow hose!

Sometimes we had used a fixed hose, sometimes an old short tatty hose that came with the boat and sometime our long yellow hose.

Now replaced it with a blue "food safe" hose and suddenly the water is always nice!

I use a yellow "anti-kink" garden hose, as supplied by B&Q. I've never had a problem with taste, BUT I always drain the hose out (stick reel on roof and let it drain out), and always run the water through the hose for a bit before refilling (I've got a full flow 15mm lever ball valve on the end with about 8 inches of poly pipe on the end. The 15mm compression fitting clamps onto the 1/2" hose and the bit of poly pipe holds the pipe in the filler spout).

I would never use the hose that was already on a tap, always my own, with the exception of the fire hoses on the Thames. I have watched them on turn round day in hire bases just drag the hose from the front of a boat, through the cut and into the muck on the tow path. I keep mine clean.

I would never use the hose that was already on a tap, always my own, with the exception of the fire hoses on the Thames. I have watched them on turn round day in hire bases just drag the hose from the front of a boat, through the cut and into the muck on the tow path. I keep mine clean.

Often used for flushing pump out toilet tanks too. I wouldn't go near em either.

Me too. I've seen people rinsing their cassettes with "communal" hoses. I don't want that anywhere near my water tank.