Salvage Hunters

SalvageHunters

Featured Posts

Hey guys and girls!

The new series of Salvage Hunters is coming to Discovery Network and we are looking for locations. We would love to hear from anyone in the boating world or any boat yards, shops or sellers that have some hidden gems for our decorative antique dealer Drew Pritchard to come and take a look at.

My name is Will, one of the researchers at Curve Media and I would to hear from everyone regarding any news, advice or information regarding any old boat yards that are looking to sell.

If you would any more information please email me williamjames@curvemedia.com

cheers

You could do worse than look at Charity Dock between Nuneaton and Bedworth. a gold mine of interesting stuff.

They've already been to Charity Dock - amongst other items, they bought a Morris Minor 1000 from them!

His website suggests otherwise.

http://www.drewpritchard.co.uk/collections/new-stock?

Indeed, that is my understanding too. Try and buy something off you for a stupidly low price and then mark it up significantly with the added exposure that the TV programme gives his "brand". To me its the comparable of selling a car to We buy any car".

Having seen quite a few of the programmes, I would say his profit margin (after restoration costs) is typically between one and two times the purchase price. But when you consider his essential overheads of transport, premises and staff, and above all the difficulty of predicting a selling price in that game, I'd say that's entirely reasonable.

When Sainsbury's buy a lorry load of baked beans from their supplier, or an electricity company buys a drum of cable, they know accurately how long it will take to use up, and although demand might slow down, they can be certain it won't end up sitting unloved at the back of a warehouse. But a salvage dealer is operating at the very opposite end of the spectrum of predictability; through experience he can guess what's likely to sell, but when and how much for are another matter.

Of course being on TV must be valuable publicity for his business. I don't know the terms of his deal, but would guess little or no money changes hands, he just tells them when and where he's going and they send a camera crew along, maybe paying him a bit to compensate for delays the filming process may cause him. The TV company finances the making of the program, and hopes to turn their profit by selling it. Is that how this genre of programmes works?

He appears to me to offer reasonable prices for stuff. I've seen a lot of the programmes.

I agree.

And lets be fair, very few of the programs show him buying from people he is likely to be turning over. Most of them are pretty sharp operatives as well, and there is usual mutual respect between them, and the deals are convenient to both.

I like the program, but one of my sons can't stand it!

Most folk who've always been employed can never understand the reasons, methods of working ''overheads, income tax, possible VAT ect of self employed people or small businesses. They often think they are rip off merchants. I've often argued this with employed folk, especially electricians, asking them why they don't go self employed, they fob you off saying it'd be easy peasy but, mmmm! but they really know its not. To be successfully self employed you need bombs of self discipline, put in far more hours, no holiday money and other perks that companies offer, no one to carry the can ect.ect. Everything is down to you. Nobody gives you anything, you have to earn it all, It aint easy.

• Greenie 1

Most folk who've always been employed can never understand the reasons, methods of working ''overheads, income tax, possible VAT ect of self employed people or small businesses. They often think they are rip off merchants. I've often argued this with employed folk, especially electricians, asking them why they don't go self employed, they fob you off saying it'd be easy peasy but, mmmm! but they really know its not. To be successfully self employed you need bombs of self discipline, put in far more hours, no holiday money and other perks that companies offer, no one to carry the can ect.ect. Everything is down to you. Nobody gives you anything, you have to earn it all, It aint easy.

Absolutely Bizz. I worked at Jaguars at first as a self employed limited company contracting engineer. Many of my employed colleagues used to get on at me (and the other contractors) about the money that we were reputed to earn. When I suggested that they resign and go contracting and join me, but that they would have to administer their own company, have no holiday pay, have no sick pay, no pension contributions and could be laid off with minimal notice they suddenly went off the idea. Funny that.

Roger

You could talk to the producers of "Boat Yard", currently on the Quest channel.

The presenter Tom Cunliffe, seems to find plenty of projects to go and look at, and some are at scruffy looking yards.

The one I've just seen, filmed at Eel Pie Island, looks right up your street.

Edited by jake_crew

Yes it is!

Self employed doing what you like doing is a breeze compared to working for a living, in my personal experience.

• Greenie 1

Yes it is!

Self employed doing what you like doing is a breeze compared to working for a living, in my personal experience.

It's swings and roundabouts I think.

We can take time off when we choose ........ but we have to accept emails and deal with urgent matters when on holidays.

We don't get holiday pay but the harder we work the better the rewards.

We are our own bosses but we are hard taskmasters to ourselves.

We don't have to play the corporate game but we don't have the security of sick pay either.

On balance however we are happier self employed than we were as employees.

It's swings and roundabouts I think.

We can take time off when we choose ........ but we have to accept emails and deal with urgent matters when on holidays.

We don't get holiday pay but the harder we work the better the rewards.

We are our own bosses but we are hard taskmasters to ourselves.

We don't have to play the corporate game but we don't have the security of sick pay either.

On balance however we are happier self employed than we were as employees.

On the flip side we are both happier working for someone else.

We can walk away from work on Friday evening and not have to worry about it again until we step back in on Monday morning.

We get paid for our holidays.

We get paid for our sick days.

Our employer pays into our pension funds.

Edited by Naughty Cal

Surely the TV company pays for that. They're not trying to earn a living out of actually trading the junk, they are earning a living by selling the TV programme!

Drew Pritchard is a real trader and did have premises in North Wales (Glan Conwy) you could visit up to summer last year. I think he trades online mostly now. He did have floor space at Liberties in London at one point but I don't know if he still does.