Duck tape

blackrose

Featured Posts

I was in a B&M Superstore in Northampton this evening buying some cheap antifreeze window spray for my car and picking up a few other bits and pieces. For those who haven't been to B&M it's like a giant Wilkinsons.

Anyway, I needed some Duck tape and there were a couple of expensive looking rolls which had no prices on, so I took a few different types to the till and asked the cashier how much they were.

To my surprise this one (50mm x 25m) came up as £1 / roll!

81j9tBX5l6L._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg

I paid for my items, put them in the car and went straight back to buy some more.

I don't know if it's a mistake or not, but there's a fair chance that other branches of B&M will have it for the same price.

But if you're in Northampton I'm afraid there's none left on the shelf! biggrin.png

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 1

We all know this, but the original tape was called duct tape, and was used to seal air ducts for warm and air conditioning.

I think the duck part was seen as a clever marketing ploy, still good stuff though, and really sticks well to tarps, so if you want to raise a narrow boat, a few cheap tarps, and some duck tape, sorted lol. Not sure how well it sticks under water, but it sealed a leak on a window over winter.

When I had a window broken on my boat I stuck some plastic over it using duct tape. Even though the paint was several years old and thus well hardened, taking the tape off a few weeks later took quite a bit of the paint off. Interestingly, it left the undercoat behind, just taking off three coats of topcoat. Where it didn't take the paint off it mostly left the adhesive behind on the paint.

Perhaps if I had warmed it up first, like you would if removing vinyl lettering, it may have softened the adhesive enough to not damage the paint.

Anyway, just a warning to anyone sticking anything onto the painted surface with duct tape.

Take a close look at any 'duck/duct' tape you buy. The quality can vary a lot - the worst I've had wasn't even woven, and as for strength/sticking ability........

The best I've bought recently was Gorilla Tape which is also available in camouflage. Now, where did I put it..........

• Greenie 1

We all know this, but the original tape was called duct tape, and was used to seal air ducts for warm and air conditioning.

Not according to web-links such as this, which reckons DUCK was the original name, and it got changed when another suitable use was found for it.

Perhaps if I had warmed it up first, like you would if removing vinyl lettering, it may have softened the adhesive enough to not damage the paint.

Anyway, just a warning to anyone sticking anything onto the painted surface with duct tape.

We have just had welding work done on our engine room, and they protect the port hole glasses from flying hot metal by layering this tape over it, (and the brass!).

After it had remained on a few weeks it was the devils own job to remove, and left most of the glue, and some of the fibre behind. Huge amounts of glue remover were needed for the clean up.

Definitely use with caution!

Take a close look at any 'duck/duct' tape you buy. The quality can vary a lot - the worst I've had wasn't even woven, and as for strength/sticking ability........

The best I've bought recently was Gorilla Tape which is also available in camouflage. Now, where did I put it..........

Yes, the cheap stuff can be really nasty - it just falls apart. The stuff I've got is the real deal - 3 layer construction.

I think you might have got a bargain there, on the B & M website the price seems to be more than you paid

http://www.bmstores.co.uk/search?q=duck+tape

I like the old adage regarding Duck Tape, whatever the repair if you can't fix it with Duck tape you haven't used enoughrolleyes.gif

I can't see it from the link - only the original Duck tape. The stuff I got is the Ultimate version.

I'd be interested to know if it's £1 a roll in other branches too.

I can't see it from the link - only the original Duck tape. The stuff I got is the Ultimate version.

I'd be interested to know if it's £1 a roll in other branches too.

It is nice when you can pick up bargains like this. I had a similar event in my local Wilco's when I needed to replace the water hose for my boat. It was the end of the summer season and they had a 30 metre roll of Hozelock Ultimate hose for £10, I also thought it might be a mistake but they insisted it was the right price, I hadn't seen that hose anywhere for less than £30biggrin.png

Not according to web-links such as this, which reckons DUCK was the original name, and it got changed when another suitable use was found for it.

I stand corrected, thank you.

Correct - the name derives from it's original use as a method of plucking ducks prior to cooking.

I hope no harm came to any gorillas when they developed Gorilla tape. lol

I have tried the liquid Gorilla glue, now this does stick to blankets, and I guess gorillas too. This works where other glues fail, for example, trainers, when the sole starts to break away from the upper. apply with caution, dampen one surface, apply glue to other, and I found clamping works well, but the glue expands, and can extrude like the foam fillers, I found it's impossible to remove the excess glue without damaging the material surface. After a year of diy and gardening, the soles are still attached.

This has become our favourite glue, in fact "our sole" glue, well if they can have adhesives like "Sticks like sh*t"... I tried an experiment with this glue, to be fair the glue is far superior to how it's name was derived, and easier on the nose when dried. lol. I do get the cr*p jobs lol

Don't get the U.S. techs on a Facebook group I'm on arguing the difference between duct & gaffer tape.....you thought arguments on here could get pedantic!

Gareth.

They're right though. Decent Gaffer Tape is flexible, incredibly sticky, and doesn't leave an adhesive residue (unless left for weeks and weeks). I repaired a trouser pocket with Gaffer Tape once and it lasted for years, going through the wash time after time.