Kitchen Worktops - under gunnel

Featured Posts

I'm sorry - I don't quite understand - what you have said sounds very interesting though, could you explain further? What is a fillet in this context?

Thin strip of wood filling the gap between the top of the worktop and the gunwale.

I'm sorry - I don't quite understand - what you have said sounds very interesting though, could you explain further? What is a fillet in this context?

I'll try to find a pic but the posters above are correct. This was a thin vertical strip of veneer-faced ply that ran the length of the worktop, filling the space between between the worktop and underside of the gunnel lining

Wasn't trying to be thick but you said something about having the fillet 2cm into the recess of the gunnel?

I've found that leaving a small gap under the gunnel makes the worktop look deeper (while still having it pushed all the way in), which is aesthetically pleasing to my eye. But, I'm surprised because seeing this gap on boats I viewed always used to irritate me!

I thought a little gap could be used for led lighting, though I take the point about dirt getting in there.

As for the gas pipe, I think I might run it along the floor where there are already water pipes - it would still be inspectable just by taking off the plinth (though I expect to do the plinths as hinged cubby holes for extra storage).

Wasn't trying to be thick but you said something about having the fillet 2cm into the recess of the gunnel?

I believe he meant that he left a shadow line below the gunwale. So instead of the infill piece being flush with the panel above it's a little further back than that. A bit like a kick board in miniature.

I believe he meant that he left a shadow line below the gunwale. So instead of the infill piece being flush with the panel above it's a little further back than that. A bit like a kick board in miniature.

Correct. It just looked better that way!

Correct. It just looked better that way!

I'm sure it did. If you finished it flush it would look like you'd tried to make the walls look longer whereas how you did it would look more like an intentional design detail.