Wanted - Experienced Crew for Limehouse to Teddington Trip

Old Son

Featured Posts

Hi, I am planning a trip from Limehouse to Teddington on Monday 31st July leaving at around 10.15am. I have a 64' narrow boat and have completed the trip a couple of years ago with Simon Judge The boat performed admirably.

​I have a radio, life jackets and of course an anchor.

​I would like an experienced member of crew who has a radio licence to accompany me on the trip. Please let me know if you are interested on a day on the river.

Am I right on thinking that the radio licence is normally for the boat rather than the user, unless they have a portable? But anyway if you have your own radio (and licence) I think someone else can operate your radio with you onboard.

I've done it a few times and wouldn't mind doing the trip again, but can't commit this far in advance. I guess I'd have drive to Teddington and get public transport to Limehouse.

Edited by blackrose

If you are talking about the "Maritime Radio Operator Certificate of Competence", "Short Range Certificate," to give it its correct title, it is personal to the holder.

"The Holder of this certificate is hereby authorised to operate VHF DSC and VHF ONLY radio telephone station established in a ship under licence issued by the Secretary of State."

If a boat has a radio capable of VHF transmissions it needs to be licensed as well.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/manage-your-licence/radiocommunication-licences/ships-radio

Licensing ensures that radio equipment used on board ships does not cause undue interference to other communications equipment and is operated by competent persons.

Failure to hold a valid licence is a criminal offence and Ofcom's enforcement team can impose on-the-spot fines. The maximum penalty on conviction is a £5,000 fine and/or a six month prison sentence. Those convicted may also be ordered to forfeit any radio apparatus used illegally.

Edited by Ray T

Am I right on thinking that the radio licence is normally for the boat rather than the user, unless they have a portable? But anyway if you have your own radio (and licence) I think someone else can operate your radio with you onboard.

I've done it a few times and wouldn't mind doing the trip again, but can't commit this far in advance. I guess I'd have drive to Teddington and get public transport to Limehouse.

The problem I have is that I don't have a licence. I have a DSC radio with a separate aerial that works great. Simon used it fine when he accompanied us last time. I appreciate you cant commit just yet but please bear us in mind. If I do get a definite I will let you know.

Judging by your answer, would it be fair to assume that, not knowing the operator needed a licence, that you do not have one ?

The OP is asking for a "...member of crew who has a radio licence....."

• Greenie 1

Judging by your answer, would it be fair to assume that, not knowing the operator needed a licence, that you do not have one ?

I realise it sounds pedantic but the radio Licence is assigned by Offcom and links the VHF apparartus to one specific craft, particularly relevant for fixed sets. The radio Operator's Certificate is for the operator as proof of competence to use any VHF appliance in any location and is issued by an authorised instruction agency such as the RYA.

One person on board must hold an operator's certificate, and other members of the crew may use the apparatus under his authority.

I realise it sounds pedantic but the radio Licence is assigned by Offcom and links the VHF apparartus to one specific craft, particularly relevant for fixed sets. The radio Operator's Certificate is for the operator as proof of competence to use any VHF appliance in any location and is issued by an authorised instruction agency such as the RYA.

Not at all - but don't forget that there is also the licence for a 'hand-held' which is not 'attached' to any vessel.

Yes, the OP and I both said 'licence' when (to be correct) we should have said "Certificate of Competence in Radio Telephony" (well - that's what mine is called)

• Greenie 1

One person on board must hold an operator's certificate, and other members of the crew may use the apparatus under his authority.

That's is only for fixed radios though. If the radio is portable it isn't linked to the craft and anyone with a licence can operate it accordingly as well as those given permission by a licence holder.

That's is only for fixed radios though. If the radio is portable it isn't linked to the craft and anyone with a licence can operate it accordingly as well as those given permission by a licence holder.

The point me and Alan are making is that the requirement here is actually for an Operator's Certificate of Competence - not a licence.

• Greenie 1

I'm not quite sure about the correct licencing of my portable fixed set ... Anyway, the main thing is that I (as the operator) am licenced, and so is the handheld portable set..

PS I can commend the catering on board Old Son's boat.

vhf.jpg

Edited by Scholar Gypsy

It's commendable that folks on here don't want to break the law, but sometimes folks are too cautious.

The PLA requires you to keep a listening watch - mostly for their hourly bulletins.

You may have a VHF radio switched on to listen to messages and that doesn't require the user to have a licence.

You can communicate with PLA by telephone - which may be the only way you can communicate further up the river.

Some (older) sets don't have a MMSI code setup and IIRC PLA aren't likely to check it anyway unless you are behaving badly.

That said it's always best to do the job properly - alt least have an operator with a licence who knows how to operate the kit and has some idea of correct procedure - if there is any.

Maybe the OP would also feel happier knowing that who ever accompanied him were not only experienced on that part of the river but knows how to operate and communicate by VHF radio should the need arise.

I have been involved in a Mayday transmission and it does help if the person on the other end knows what they are doing and are able to pass on the required information in a coherent factual way.

That said it's always best to do the job properly - alt least have an operator with a licence who knows how to operate the kit and has some idea of correct procedure - if there is any.

That is the whole purpose of taking the test and being 'competent.

There are plenty of 'correct procedures', its a fairly small frequency allocation and (forgetting about 'muddy ditch' usage) - consider 1000+ boats out on Southampton water all at the same time & all calling up their mates to tell them about 'last nights piss-up', the latest curry-house, etc.

Fortunately Marine VHF is operated on a professional basis (and monitored for compliance) - God forbid it should become 'Marine CB'

Each channel has its nominated use and incorrect use can cause huge problems.

Marine vhf Channels-uk.pdf

Edited by Alan de Enfield

This is one of those weird threads that leaves me wondering quite why it has gone like it has.

Without dissecting all the exact terminology involved it is entirely clear to me what the OP is asking for, namely someone with the certification to operate VHF radio, which they themselves do not hold. They have explained they have done the trip before, and seemed adequately clued up on the requirements.

Hopefully they will find someone who would like to do the trip - it's one of those never forgotten experiences IMO. I would have offered my own services, but a glance at the calendar shows too much else going on around that date.

No, it wouldn't be fair to make that assumption and you've judged my answer incorrectly. I do have a licence (or Certificate of Competence if that's what we're calling it - I think we all mean the same thing), and I did know that the operator needs a licence. I simply made the mistake of assuming that Old Son also had a licence. It wasn't completely clear from the original post.

Anyway, keep me posted nearer the time Old Son and if you haven't found anyone I'll try to make it. I'll send you a pm so you have my phone number.

Edited by blackrose