Pumpout Toilets

Edward_M

Featured Posts

Hi,

I'm looking at switching over canister toilets to pumpouts on a dutch barge.

Have been recommended Saniplus or Victron. Any recommendations either way on these?

I know this will have been talked about previously, but can't find any threads...

Hi,

I'm looking at switching over canister toilets to pumpouts on a dutch barge.

Have been recommended Saniplus or Victron. Any recommendations either way on these?

I know this will have been talked about previously, but can't find any threads...

We went from pump-out to cassettes.

Freedom, not tied to pump-out machines, no costs to empty, no problems if caught in closures or frozen canals - best decision ever made

Can't be long now before something breaks then!

So true. Modern gadgets huh...I laugh at the fools that have pump outs, it's like my house neighbours. Some of them have flush loos inside their homes! Can you believe it? Madness. I've tried to educate them, they refuse to listen when I tell them it's so much better to trundle down bottom of garden,

dig hole and fill it. There loss huh!

Ian.

• Greenie 1

There could be an argument for a dump through type as there is less to go wrong and if it does its easier to fix. But having said that our 9 yr old macerator hasn't needed any attention but the dump through on the previous boat needed the bowl seal changing every other year. Not a major job but unpleasant.

Top Cat

I'm another for a dump through IF the configuration of the boat allows one to be fitted.

They will still work with flat batteries & simple. If there are pump out blockages you can, if so minded and the thing has been installed well, reach into the tank to the bottom of the pump out outlet. Very simple to repair.

FYI Ed, from where you will be moored at Limehouse you wont actually need to move your boat to pump out. Although the pump out lead doesn't stretch that far down the pontoon a neighbour has an extension hose which means they don't need to move the vessel to make it work (the were renting and didn't even have the engine keys so this was never going to be an option to move it). You might need an extra hose - or you could just take it for a trip around the block so to speak to blow some cobwebs off

Oh and there are lots of neighbours on the pontoon over by the DLR that are composting. Almost all of those boats have compost bogs.

Mike the Boilerman, on 09 Jan 2017 - 09:50 AM, said:

What do they do with the 'compost'?

That's always been my 'concern'. There are rules about letting the stuff 'mature' before you chuck it and in an urban environment not many places so to do.

Dumping it in a skip doesn't strike me as good practice.....

What do they do with the 'compost'?

It sits in buckets on their roof (or the pontoon fingers) doing what it is supposed to do and then........well I have no actual idea as never considered it as an option so haven't investigated or asked. I believe they understand it can be disposed of in normal waste bins however I have heard conflicting advice on this matter.

That's always been my 'concern'. There are rules about letting the stuff 'mature' before you chuck it and in an urban environment not many places so to do.

Dumping it in a skip doesn't strike me as good practice.....

And - where does all the separated urine get disposed of ?

(Not many hedge-bottoms in the middle of London)

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Alan de Enfield, on 09 Jan 2017 - 10:25 AM, said:

Not much 'fresh' water flow in Limehouse either....

Not much 'fresh' water flow in Limehouse either....

I'd say there is quite a lot of water movement/flow in Limehouse. The lock gates at the Regents leak so constantly supply a from and so do the sea lock gates so there is a constant flow of water into and out of the marina including of course that from the Lea/Lee as well.

I suspect that the urine goes overboard, however its an assumption.

Actually surrounding the marina there are a fair few some immediately outside the front door others a short walk away however I don't think anyone would go pour it there as a solution when they'd just put it in the marina on the sly (or not so).

Edited by widebeamboy

So there are folk who spend upward of Nine grand a year for a mooring and yet they are throwing piss into thier immediate environment ?

Sounds idyllic - especially if theres a group of them all close together . I am

making an assumption of course , but i really struggle to think what on earth else theyre going to do with it .

chubby, on 09 Jan 2017 - 5:41 PM, said:

So there are folk who spend upward of Nine grand a year for a mooring and yet they are throwing piss into thier immediate environment ?

Probably

Sounds idyllic - especially if theres a group of them all close together

But as advised above - there's some flow to take the effluent away

. I am making an assumption of course , but i really struggle to think what on earth else theyre going to do with it .

There's an elsan point in the middle of a pontoon (somewhat inconvenient, but for folks who care it's doable to accumulate 25l of fluid and then empty it into the elsan point?

Perhaps I've been boating too long, but there was a time when folks realised that if a lot of 'whatever' was dumped in a restricted place - then there may be / will be consequences later. Now that waterways are increasingly occupied by folks who want only a place to live economically and who have no affinity with boating, perhaps they don't understand that hygiene extends beyond the limits of their habitation.

An urban population are ignorant (not unreasonably) of waste disposal; flush the loo, put stuff in the dustbin - and 'problem' solved, but marine sanitation is still in the dark ages. Probably not much of an issue out-in-the-sticks with small quantities of 'whatever' but where many are congregated together, it's a different issue.

I'm old enough to remember watching clouds of bubbles floating down the Thames at Kingston and the biggest fish in there was a 6oz Roach. Since then the waterways of Britain have been massively cleaned up. Is the new fashion for composting toilets just going to take us back 50 years?