Fridge Connection Plug/Socket

Featured Posts

Our Shoreline fridge/freezer has 6mm tails coming from the control unit which are soldered to the 10mm cables coming from the fuse panel. The spare length of cable is such that if the fridge is pulled from its housing it blocks off the kitchen. Are there any plugs and sockets that will accept this size cable?

I can find plenty of mains connectors but they are too small. What about MC4 connectors?

Edited by pearley

Google MK Commando plugs/sockets. They are what builders use for power connections to portable offices and welfare facilities. The 32A version will handle a cable of about 21 mm diameter so should be OK with your cables. Larger sizes are available!

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/DataSheets/MK/MK_COMMANDO_Tech.pdf

N

Good quality MC4 connectors are rated at 20 amps but only take a 4mm squared cable, so may not really be suitable for your project.

An alternative, used for battery connection, is Anderson Power Products SB50 range (50 amp low voltage) Available from RS no 6120150.

I think that this has crimped cable connections. There is a data sheet on RS web site.

Ideally you need something that will take 10mm cables and has large terminals ( hence the 50 amp rating) as it is important not to create a voltage drop/high resistance in a fridge supply feed to ensure the compressor starts correctly.

If you have to extend cables a properly soldered joint with heat shrink insulation sleeves is good.

Edited by adrianh

Good quality MC4 connectors are rated at 20 amps but only take a 4mm squared cable, so may not really be suitable for your project.

An alternative, used for battery connection, is Anderson Power Products SB50 range (50 amp low voltage) Available from RS no 6120150.

I think that this has crimped cable connections. There is a data sheet on RS web site

Don't know why I didn't think of Anderson connectors. Used them for many things before I retired.

I think that this has crimped cable connections. There is a data sheet on RS web site

What he said! 12 volt Anderson plugs are the yellow ones.

Buy a genuine Anderson connector. OR identify and source the correct CEEform connector for 12v DC. and pay a fortune for both parts. Mains ceeform connectors are used in huge bulk so are cheaper than the less used styles. -it's white,but seems rare as rocking hors.......

Or use the yellow 110V ones... you even sometimes see those in skips.

Buy a genuine Anderson connector. OR identify and source the correct CEEform connector for 12v DC. and pay a fortune for both parts. Mains ceeform connectors are used in huge bulk so are cheaper than the less used styles. -it's white,but seems rare as rocking hors.......

http://www.altecautomotive.co.uk/anderson-connectors-62-c.asp?gclid=CJ-d-KrqsNECFc8YGwodaUsMJA

Never heard of them, but will be considering them for future connections.

I've used the yellow jacketed fully insulated bullet connectors on my shoreline fridge on this & my previous boat, leaving enough cable to pull the fridge out & disconnect. Very simple, quick to install & cheap.

Edited by BargeeSpud

With the CEEform range of connectors there is a design for each voltage and frequency. So there are several for different voltages DC (usually white) 230v AC is blue. 400v three phase is red etc. each only mates with the correct pairing connectors for safety. It's poor form to use the wrong connectors although it does occasionally happen.

With the CEEform range of connectors there is a design for each voltage and frequency. So there are several for different voltages DC (usually white) 230v AC is blue. 400v three phase is red etc. each only mates with the correct pairing connectors for safety. It's poor form to use the wrong connectors although it does occasionally happen.

Is that a recognised standard