Best 12v freshwater pump?

blackrose

Featured Posts

I've fitted quite a number of Whale Watermasters over the last couple of years and found them very good value and reliable bits of kit, also pretty quiet when properly installed.

Thanks, there seem to be a number of different Whale Watermaster freshwater pumps, both horizontal and also in vertical orientations which I hadn't seen before. This is the latest on the Whale UK website.

http://www.whalepumps.com/marine/product.aspx?Category_ID=10015&Product_ID=10047&FriendlyID=NEW-Whale-Watermaster-Automatic-Pressure-Pump

And it doesn't seem that expensive?

http://www.piratescave.co.uk/whale-watermaster-fw1215-automatic-pressure-pump-12l-12v-3-bar.ir?src=froogle&gclid=Cj0KEQiAwMLDBRDCh_r9sMvQ_88BEiQA6zuAQzstIOiJQSdQ8Eqe_gWjer6xRi7otXe2F_nR-aGZGg4aAvT28P8HAQ

But it's 45psi (cut out?) which seems way over the top for a boat? (at least that's what it says on the Ely Chandlers website)

Then there's the vertical Water Master pumps like this one. It might be easier for customers if Whale used different names.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Whale-Water-Master-12V-Pump/dp/B00CM73I2G/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1483793556&sr=8-4&keywords=whale+watermaster+pump

It's difficult to know how the quality varies between the two types. My current Parmax 3 has a cut in pressure of 10 psi and cut out of 20 psi but I can't find these specs for the Whale pumps. Also it looks like the first whalemaster pump come with its own pre-strainer but the ports look like they're for rigid plastic push-fit pipes?

Edited by blackrose

Are they leaking because of frost damage?

No, my freshwater system has never frozen. Both pumps have leaked because they're unsuitable for long-term liveaboard use. The 5 year lifespan seems to be fairly standard so for me they're basically consumables.

Edit: I don't mind fixing the Parmax if it can be fixed, but in trying to remove the leaking part and re-seal it I've just made matters worse so perhaps it's time to chuck it away, which is a shame because the motor and valve assembly is still fine.

Edited by blackrose

We have both ParMax 3 and ParMax 4s on the cruiser (the 4 is for the deck wash)

Service part are available (see attached) and if you can get another 5 years by just using a service-kit it ma be worth while.

Par Max 3 - 4 Water Pump.pdf

You will note that various pressures are available for each pump model.

We have both ParMax 3 and ParMax 4s on the cruiser (the 4 is for the deck wash)

Service part are available (see attached) and if you can get another 5 years by just using a service-kit it ma be worth while.

attachicon.gifPar Max 3 - 4 Water Pump.pdf

You will note that various pressures are available for each pump model.

Thanks for that Alan. My pump is 31600-0292 on the list. I have a hard copy of that pdf that came with the pump. According to the exploded view the little panel that's leaking isn't removable so I'd need to replace the entire upper housing. I'll call Mack Engineering on Monday but I need to get this sorted soon as I'm living with a leaking pump.

I always turn the pump off when I go out but I'll also need to isolate the water tank now and depressurise the system every time I leave the boat.

Edited by blackrose

So far on this boat I've gone though 2 pumps - Sureflow (Aquaking?) and Jabsco (Parmax 3) Both have leaked after about 4 - 5 years.

I'm thinking about a new pump so which other brands are recommended?

Thanks

Went through too many Shueflows to ever bother again. The main body is a two piece casting that corrodes on the joint so the gasket fails.

I have had an Flojet which has run faultlessly on this liveaboard for 10 years. American I think (?) I have all the paperwork but too late to look it up!

James

Flojet, thanks. I hadn't considered them as I thought they were cheap copies of sureflow. Not sure why I thought that?

yep, after a similar story to yours, both failed sureflow and Jabsco pumps I picked up a flojet at Denham as they didn't have anything else in stock at the time, it worked a treat and as far as I know is still going strong after 6 years.

Thanks. I just wonder if I need actually an expensive Parmax 4 (3.3 gpm) size pump for my boat? I have 2 sinks, a shower and washing machine, but only 2 of these are likely to be operating at any one time.

The Parmax 2.9 is about half the price of the Parmax 4.

As I said on the other thread (in Maintenance), I can't really see the point in paying premium prices for a pump that only lasts 5 years - the same as a cheaper model. I'm going to ask Mack Engineering what they think of the Whale Watermaster which I pasted the link to earlier in this thread. If that lasts 5 years I may as well just have one of them as it's a lot cheaper.

Thanks. I just wonder if I need actually an expensive Parmax 4 (3.3 gpm) size pump for my boat? I have 2 sinks, a shower and washing machine, but only 2 of these are likely to be operating at any one time.

The Parmax 2.9 is about half the price of the Parmax 4.

As I said on the other thread (in Maintenance), I can't really see the point in paying premium prices for a pump that only lasts 5 years - the same as a cheaper model. I'm going to ask Mack Engineering what they think of the Whale Watermaster which I pasted the link to earlier in this thread. If that lasts 5 years I may as well just have one of them as it's a lot cheaper.

Do you think they will give you an unbiased opinion, They aren't going to say one of the brands they sell is crap. I think I would rather ask I hire company, I bet they know which are the most reliable.

But it's 45psi (cut out?) which seems way over the top for a boat? (at least that's what it says on the Ely Chandlers website)

The Watermaster is available in 30 psi and 45 psi and 12 or 24vDC

Edited by NMEA

Do you think they will give you an unbiased opinion, They aren't going to say one of the brands they sell is crap. I think I would rather ask I hire company, I bet they know which are the most reliable.

They sell Jabsco, Flojet and Whale so I don't see why they wouldn't give me an unbiased opinion on any of those brands.

Edited by blackrose

I've got a Parmax 4 and been very happy. I did have one fail after quite a few years of use but it didn't leak....the magnet parted company with the motor casing....it still worked...just sounded sluggish and rattled! Think I was just unlucky. The replacement has been in for about 4/5 years now. Probably due a replacement soon. I shall then keep it as a spare. Much easier to swap at my leisure than when out on the cut!

Gareth

But why is the Parmax 4 so expensive compared to similar pumps? If it only lasts 5 years of liveaboard use before it needs repair then what's better about it?

I think you will find it's got quite a bit higher flow rate which was why I use them. I like a good shower & it's handy if water is needed for other stuff at the same time. I'm guessing the cost difference is partly due to a bigger motor etc.

When I was working for a boat builder we changed to jabscos after no end of trouble with shurflos. They failed during warranty but it still cost us to go out and replace them.

Gareth

I was the boat show with a friend who is installing one of these in his new sailaway.

http://timage.eu/site/low-voltage-electric-water-pumps/1269-UP6E_electronic_brain_Marco_pump.html

Not cheap at all however apparently has a brain that varies that flow depending on demand. Ill wait to see how good it is when its installed in the meantime ill stick with what I have got.

ps ignore the comment about no need for an accumulator. The distributor (Timage) has established that at least a small accumulator should be fitted as they've had issues of weeping taps resulting in pumps running constantly etc.

Our Par-Max 4 is used as a deck wash, it uses 'raw-water', and puts out a jet like a 'fire-hose'.

The fresh water system is powered by a Par-Max 3 and we have :

Bow 'On-Suite' = Shower and sink

Kitchen = Sink

Stern 'On-suite' = Shower and sink.

Also have two toilets but they are manual using 'raw-water' to flush.

We get excellent water flow & pressure but, as you suggest, there is probably very rarely more than 2 items in use at any one time.