Overfilled battery now have rotten egg smell

Featured Posts

That medical stuff is amazing. Particularly the asthma stuff when bearing in mind that I've read that hydrogen sulphide breathed in could convert to small amounts of sulphuric acid in the trachea.

Maybe that latter just ain't true, even though I did read it on t'interweb.

A Whale Gulper can be used as a bilge pump to suck hydrogen sulphide from the bilges as it will pump gasses and liquids. But I think it's very unlikely that enough would accumulate to be explosive. You could also use a blower and ducting to blow fresh air into the engine hole. Some vacuum cleaners can also blow and this will be OK if you position the vacuum cleaner on the towpath or jetty. H2S will set off a CO detector but I don't know the parts per million that would trigger it. The safe working exposure at 10ppm is only 15 minutes, obviously less at higher concentrations.

Do turn off ALL charging sources immediately ! The boat next to us blew the top off one of the batteries last year under similar circumstances...not pretty!

The owner wasn't here and the solar was whacking the amps in under full sun ....

Edited by Stormbringer

You could also use a blower and ducting to blow fresh air into the engine hole.

I could never comprehend the difference between a diesel engine 'cruiser' and a diesel engine narrowboat - Crusiers (as a nom) have bilge blowers whilst NBs don't.

Do diesel (or other fumes) pose a higher risk in a GRP boat than a steel boat ?

I have seen steel 'cruisers' with blowers, but have never seen a NB with one.

When we had our exhaust re-built last year, it was transferred to the other side of the boat (steel NB). I made use of the old exhaust hole by attaching some ducting to it and fitting a bilge blower - which blows cold air to the front of the engine, thus cooling the alternators as well as the engine and ensuring a plentiful supply of air, plus of course providing ventilation which would disperse any fumes from the battery.