Sr2

Roxylass

Featured Posts

I need to change the gear oil for the above engine.

The smell tells me that it is ep 80 90 in it.

It should be 20w50 instead

Can you tell me where the drain plug on this gear box is

I know that it is on the bottom but it is connected to the engine

I am lying on the deck feeling about

Thanks in advance.

Is the gearbox a Lister LM100 OR LH150 or has it been fitted with a Hurth gearbox which were later fitted when Lister discontinued the former two.

Anyway, if it is either of the Lister boxes the drain plug doesn't screw upwards into its bottom like most, it is screwed into the gearboxes front casting, the circular part that attaches to the engine via its front plate. The plug is situated underneath in the centre of this front circular part of the casting and is screwed in facing forward at 90 degs from vertical.

Hypoy EP 80/90 gear oil is fine for both Lister boxes.

Edited by bizzard

See above, especially as if its the Lister box (which it may well be with EP 80 oil in it) it could well have a separate reduction box that will also need draining and refilling.

If you do not know a photo will solve it or a description of its shape.

Can you tell me where the drain plug on this gear box is

If you can't see it I suggest you use the camera on your phone to take photos from a few different angles. I often do this when I need to see details that are awkward to get at. My varifocal lenses make it impossible to see fine detail unless it's in front of me.

If you photograph the gearbox nameplate and post the maker and model number someone is bound to know the answer you seek.

Edited by mross

The gearbox is lm 100

I have the st 4 which is identical as a spare I managed to locate the drain plug on that one.

Tried with the spanner to undo the drain plug on the box drip tray in the road plus no room for leverage.

Try a socket tomorrow with a short bar.

Let you know what happens.

The SL4 and LM100 gearboxes are not identical. The rear end of the castings are different, where the reduction box fits on. The LM 100 box uses a different, beefed up reduction box which attaches with 7 studs and nuts. The SL4 boxes reduction box, although similar is not so hefty and is attached to the gearbox with only 4 studs and nuts. The SL4 box and reduction gear was really only intended for use with the lower powered SL engines.

LM100 and red/gear is intended for the more powerful SR or ST engines.

If it is identical its probably an LM100 box with a SL4 top cover plate which would fit. The reduction box is the give away. The actual drop of an LM reduction box is about 1/2'' more than a SL reduction box. Meaning both 2.1 reduction boxes, that is.

Edited by bizzard

Where the drain plug is the fan shroud sits almost directly above.

So I don't know if it has a reduction box

Can't really see past the shroud.

The reduction box is at the other, back end where the prop shaft is attached. You may or may not have one, it is nothing to do with the engine end of the gearbox where the main gearbox drain plug is, which is under and just behind the fan housing.