Peel Holdings

Deckscrubber

Featured Posts

It strikes me that Peel should consider an agreement with CRT whereby the latter run the canal navigation for them whilst Peel retain the land for development. For Peel running the canal is a pain they could do without, only really leading to bad publicity.

Was thus hinted at previously.

I think it's a good idea, whether it can be achieved is another matter.

It's all modern web access by folks on 'phones rather than a good old fashioned PC.

On the latter it's easy to scroll through posts - on a phone you war your finger out.....

Don't think any one has a 'right' to navigate - only a permission to access when it suits the owner (??)

On the face of it - without any real details the stoppage does seem OTT just to replace a steel bridge....

However, are they going to replace the old bridge abutments completely?

NABO Guidance Notes

Public Right of Navigation on Canals

Quite simply, there is no longer a Public Right of Navigation on canals controlled by British Waterways. However, it is understood that the Right still exists on canals controlled or owned by other independent canal companies e.g. the Bridgewater Canal, Manchester Ship Canal and Rochdale Canal. When canals were first constructed they required an Act of Parliament to authorise them and in exchange for granting the power to acquire land Parliament insisted that the canals should be dedicated to the public (subject to payment of tolls, etc). When railway companies started to acquire canals, and threaten them with closure to restrict competition, Parliament again insisted that they “be at all times kept open and navigable for the use of all persons desirous to use and navigate the same and that without any unnecessary hindrance of interruption or delay”. This wording is incorporated into section 17 of the Regulation of Railways Act 1873. This latter Act applied to the British Transport Commission after nationalisation of the waterways and in 1962 to its successor, the British Waterways Board (BW) up until 1968. Interestingly, there was never a right of navigation in the Act for the now-derelict Derby Canal (believed to be the only such instance).

James

Is there a bit missing from your post, James? It starts with the declaration that there is no PRN and then goes on to explain how parliament insisted that they would be "at all times kept open and navigable..." in the 1873 act and again in the 1962 act "up to 1968". What happened to change this in 1968?

The Transport Act 1968 specifically extinguished the PRN on the nationalised canals.

N

ET Correct waterways to canals- I believe there remains PRN on some nationalised river navigations.

Edited by BEngo

The crack down at castlefield just means more space so they can sell permanent moorings there that make the place look pretty at the expense of boaters in transit.

Gareth

Peel are now advertising their "Castlefield Marina", with residential and "Platinum" serviced moorings. Price on application! I don't suppose it will be cheap but a residential mooring in the heart of Manchester will no doubt be of interest.

Has anyone found out the costs?

The Transport Act 1968 specifically extinguished the PRN on the nationalised canals.

N

ET Correct waterways to canals- I believe there remains PRN on some nationalised river navigations.

Gotcha. Thanks :)

Peel are now advertising their "Castlefield Marina", with residential and "Platinum" serviced moorings. Price on application! I don't suppose it will be cheap but a residential mooring in the heart of Manchester will no doubt be of interest.

Maybe they will fix the costs based upon the level of interest.

Added - a not very helpful pdf from Peel http://www.bridgewatercanal.co.uk/media/BoatingPDFs/Castlefield_A4.pdf

Edited by Chewbacka

The Transport Act 1968 specifically extinguished the PRN on the nationalised canals.NET Correct waterways to canals- I believe there remains PRN on some nationalised river navigations.

But the Bridgewater was never nationalised, Shirley, that's why it's in Peel's clutches today.

The Bridgewater (and the Mersey and Irwell) were both purchased by the Manchester Ship Canal as conditions of its act. The Manchester Ship Canal Co was controlled by Manchester City Council in return for the loans that enabled the Ship Canal to be finished, until the major shareholder paid them to give up control in the 80's as part of the machination around the construction of Trafford Park shopping centre.

I guess that council control probably enabled the Ship Canal to escape nationalisation in 1948, so the Bridgewater wasn't nationalised either and passé with the Shp Canal to Peel in 1993 ish.

N

The Bridgewater (and the Mersey and Irwell) were both purchased by the Manchester Ship Canal as conditions of its act. The Manchester Ship Canal Co was controlled by Manchester City Council in return for the loans that enabled the Ship Canal to be finished, until the major shareholder paid them to give up control in the 80's as part of the machination around the construction of Trafford Park shopping centre.

I guess that council control probably enabled the Ship Canal to escape nationalisation in 1948, so the Bridgewater wasn't nationalised either and passé with the Shp Canal to Peel in 1993 ish.

N

The Mersey and Irwell was required for the course of the Ship Canal, and I seem to recall reading that the Bridgewater Company objected to the ship canal on the basis that it would take away so much of their trade as to make the canal unviable. And so a deal was done whereby the Manchester City Council - supported Ship Canal Company bought the Bridgewater, and retained an obligation to keep it open.

Being already under public control it was never nationalised when most other canals were, and therefore was not covered by the 1968 Transport Act which removed the Public Right of Navigation from BW's canals. So presumably there is still a PRN on the Bridgewater. And I guess that is the main reason Peel haven't tried to close it!

Yet another change of date for the stoppage !

e just arrived

BRIDGEWATER CANAL NOTICE

No. 03/2017

NAVIGATION CLOSURE – REVISED PROGRAMME

Notice is hereby given that due to the proposed replacement of Vicars Hall Bridge, (situated approximately 1.4 Km west of Boothstown Marina on the Bridgewater Canal in Boothstown) the Canal will be closed to all navigation during the course of the works.

To: Wednesday 24th May 2017 at 12.00 noon

Location of closure: Approximately 1.4 Km West of Boothstown Marina

The canal towpath will be diverted during the course of the works, however please remain vigilant and obey any instructions posted locally.

Works to replace the bridge are programmed to be completed within the specified period of time. However, due to the nature of the work the Company cannot guarantee completion on the published date.

For further information or updates concerning progress of the works please visit the Bridgewater Canal website during the period of the closure.

The Bridgewater Canal Company regrets and apologises for any inconvenience that these necessary works may cause.

This replaces notice number 01/2017.

The Bridgewater Canal Company

Peel Dome

The Trafford Centre

Manchester

M17 8PL

Email bridgewatercanal@peel.co.uk

Telephone (between 2pm – 4pm Mon-Fri) 0161 629 8432

Website www.bridgewatercanal.co.uk

Notice 03 Dated 12th January 2017

on behalf of Bridgewater Canal

Email: castlefieldmarina@peel.co.uk

Yet another change of date for the stoppage !

e just arrived

BRIDGEWATER CANAL NOTICE

No. 03/2017

NAVIGATION CLOSURE – REVISED PROGRAMME

Notice is hereby given that due to the proposed replacement of Vicars Hall Bridge, (situated approximately 1.4 Km west of Boothstown Marina on the Bridgewater Canal in Boothstown) the Canal will be closed to all navigation during the course of the works.

To: Wednesday 24th May 2017 at 12.00 noon

Location of closure: Approximately 1.4 Km West of Boothstown Marina

The canal towpath will be diverted during the course of the works, however please remain vigilant and obey any instructions posted locally.

Works to replace the bridge are programmed to be completed within the specified period of time. However, due to the nature of the work the Company cannot guarantee completion on the published date.

For further information or updates concerning progress of the works please visit the Bridgewater Canal website during the period of the closure.

The Bridgewater Canal Company regrets and apologises for any inconvenience that these necessary works may cause.

This replaces notice number 01/2017.

The Bridgewater Canal Company

Peel Dome

The Trafford Centre

Manchester

M17 8PL

Email bridgewatercanal@peel.co.uk

Telephone (between 2pm – 4pm Mon-Fri) 0161 629 8432

Website www.bridgewatercanal.co.uk

Notice 03 Dated 12th January 2017

on behalf of Bridgewater Canal

Email: castlefieldmarina@peel.co.uk

And I have just cancelled my Liverpool booking

And I have just cancelled my Liverpool booking

Probably just as well - there's plenty of time for it to change again, and they dont guarantee completion by the date given, (for obvious reasons).

I read elsewhere that there has been a delay in the provision of statutory approvals and some other such permissions by organisations out of Peels control

Thank the lord they've seen sense.

I had a feeling something might change given the amount of disruption it would cause for a lot of people. I read earlier today that the IWA had written to peel holdings.

Details of IWA Letter:

https://www.waterways.org.uk/news/view?id=303&x[0]=news/list

Tim

Costs per night are £10, after your 3 days free.

As for the residential moorings, you will need to speak with them, I have been there for a bit since November. I emailed them my intentions before leaving Scarisbrick, I have a CRT License, I have to say they never contacted me and never gave me any bother. There is a desire from the residents of the flats that surround the marina not to have people burning damp wood, I can see that. So I guess peel are the holders of the leasehold, so would have to listen to residents complaints. Two sides to every coin, and all that.

I came over to skipper for the WAXI service that has started up, all feed back I have had so far from clients and passers by is good, there is a 20 year redevelopement plan for all the area surrounding the canals, which has probably been said on here before, sorry if I have missed it.

It has started snowing in Castlefield btw.

There is a plan in place to have commuter boats coming from sale in the near future, the yellow ones being used now are going to run from Spinning fields to Media city, pontoons are being built etc.,

I emailed asking the question but never received a reply.

There are rings behind the west stand that the trip boat moors on. It's not overlooked though and on that basis I would be reluctant to leave my boat there unattended.

You could get the tram from Deansgate-Castlefield or Sale, both of which have safe moorings.

You'll struggle as the gate is only open on match days for the trip boat.

It's not too far to walk from Castlefield or just simply jump on the tram at Deansgate Castlefield and jump off at Old Trafford :)

Thanks all. Much appreciated. Mrs Nightwatch has suggested that as I've seen Old Trafford before do I really want to see it again.

After I calmed down, I have advised that she ought to see Old Trafford. The site of many successes to come!!