Bridgewater Closed 13th Feb till 24th May

Pie Eater

Featured Posts

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be very interested to see how this work progresses. The original February stoppage had dates of 13th Feb to 16th June. Protests were made on behalf of the Leigh members of Worsley Cruising Club reminding the Canal Company that a rally organised by Worsley for the Federation of clubs on the Bridgewater had been arranged for May Bank Holday weekend, had been planned for a year with the Company's knowledge but would be inaccessible to them. Miraculously the end date was then brought forward to 24th May shaving three weeks off the project. They didn't actually begin until 20th February losing another week. I can't see the canal being drained at all really, I would think the foundations will be a distance from the banks similar to the bridge at Leigh for the bypass. The plans by Peel Holdings are for housing south of the canal so will need to be able to carry heavy machinery and haulage. 

Only time will tell!

I hope they stick to their published time as this will allow us to get back from Steam on the Dock to another event we are booked to attend at the Salt Musieam in near Northwich.

Daniel

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hello folks,can any one give some information, on the bridgewater canal.(boothstown bridge )will it be open

for the end of may as we`re wanting to do ribble link..in end of june start of july..

thankyou for your help..

24 May is the only date on their web site - http://www.bridgewatercanal.co.uk/boating/stoppages/stoppage.aspx?ID=242

We are on the L&L and nearly everyone we meet is waiting for that date like us.  Its going to interesting to see just how many boats are queued up on that day and what sort of riot there will be if they don't open on time!

The original date was 16th June. Which is the Friday of the start of Middlewich FAB. After some gentle persuasion by Cyclist and Ramblers Trust, and I mean gentle. The Bridgewater Canal Company brought that forward to 23rd May, with the option to over run if necessary. However I was there last week and the canal is still filled in and there was no bridge at all. There is however a new road that has been put in so that heavy construction traffic can gain access to a new housing development on the far side.

From what I can see there was no need to do any work to the bridge. The reason for the closure was so that land, owned by Peel Holdings, who also own the Bridgewater Canal, could be developed.

It looks like they are replacing the bridge with a foot bridge, once the heavy traffic has finished driving over the canal. Then they have to re instate the canal, which I doubt will be very easy.

I expect Bridgewater to announce some time in the middle of May that the canal won't be open until June.

Having said that I don't see what anyone can do. The canal is privately owned and I suppose if they wanted to they could gate it off at both ends and charge entry, or even refuse access at all.

If anyone has any suggestions

Last I saw, it was due to reopen on the 24th May, we had to change our plans. No real problem, it happens.

Cant confirm anything that gigoguy said, Peel holding are into developement of land, I do not know of any land owner that isn't, however I very much doubt that they will shut the Leigh branch.

I have been wrong in the past and will be in the future.

22 hours ago, Pompey said:

Last I saw, it was due to reopen on the 24th May, we had to change our plans. No real problem, it happens.

Cant confirm anything that gigoguy said, Peel holding are into developement of land, I do not know of any land owner that isn't, however I very much doubt that they will shut the Leigh branch.

I have been wrong in the past and will be in the future.

The Leigh Arm IS closed, that's what the discussion is about.

I don't have a problem with land owners developing it. After all that's what's pays for me to enjoy a very early retirement. I was a property developer, when one could still make some money out of it.

What I do have a problem with is being lied to. The Bridgewater Canal Company have been threatening this closure at Vicars Hall Bridge for years. The work though is not to  repair the bridge however, it's to develop the land adjacent to the canal, when Peel Holdings eventually got the planning permission.

B.C.C. told CaRT and Towpath talk that the closure was to repair a bridge. The bridge hadn't been open to road traffic for nearly 20 years and could easily have been repaired during the Autumn. 

I'll wait and see if it opens on 24th May but I won't hold my breath

Just to keep the information flow going - I rang Peel Holdings today and they actually rang me back which was encouraging.  The nice lady I spoke to says that the work is progressing on schedule.  She then went on to say that if they are early they would update the web site.  I pointed out that knowing if they were going to be late was actually probably more important.  Either way she was very aware that many of us are basing our plans on this and she promised to put anything new on the web site as soon as it was known.

1 hour ago, larryjc said:

Just to keep the information flow going - I rang Peel Holdings today and they actually rang me back which was encouraging.  The nice lady I spoke to says that the work is progressing on schedule.  She then went on to say that if they are early they would update the web site.  I pointed out that knowing if they were going to be late was actually probably more important.  Either way she was very aware that many of us are basing our plans on this and she promised to put anything new on the web site as soon as it was known.

Thanks for the update larryjc.

• 2 weeks later...

Good update and information indeed both Gigoguy and Larr.

We are currently Liverpool side, having made a mad dash from our home mooring in Feb.
No details planned for the rest of our years boating as it somewhat depends on this obviously.

Daniel

*Topic merged with existing one.

Glad to see one on Bamfords best doing the work!

- Looks like a fair ask to get  a bridge up in a week, given how long its taking them to put one up on the A50, but at the same time I would never say never.

Daniel

Well here we are in Burscough getting ready to dash through the Bridgewater next week.  We thought that we might wait a day of two to let the rush die down but everyone we've spoken to (and there are quite a few waiting) seem to have the same idea.  So do we go for it on the 24th? That is the question.  Whatever happens its going to be interesting.

I remember waiting one year for Plank Lane Lifting Bridge to be repaired and then, it was only opened for a few moments, once a day to let the boat build up through. We were heading south. Amazingly, in a very short time the dozens of boats had dissipated and it was almost a boat free zone during our cruise into Manchester. OK, it may be more of a problem if you intend trying to moor in Castlefield, but there are plenty of other moorings available, bearing in mind that presumably boats in the area also wanting to cruise North. I would go when you are ready and not worry too much about congestion. Now, whether or not the Bridgewater re-opens on the revised, revised, revised opening date is another matter..................

Edited by Derek Porteous

Spoke to someone today who rang them on Friday and they said they 'thought it was still on time'  but then got shirty and said they couldn't guarantee it as it wasn't their responsibility - I assume they mean its up to their contractors.  I also think they are getting inundated with phone calls.  Maybe if the silly buggers put some up to date info on thier web site people would be more likely to stop ringing!!!