Bridgewater Closed 13th Feb till 24th May

Pie Eater

Featured Posts

Feckin great! Our boat is booked in to Glascote dock in June for paint and two pack. Cheers for that Peel holdings .

Well that's my trip to Liverpool scuppered.

Leeds & Liverpool Canal > River Trent - inconvenient but not impossible.

I am due to meet up with my mate in Castlefield in June I'm coming over the Huddersfield and he's coming from the Lancaster Canal. With the prospect of a further delay it's looking like a change of plan for one or both of us. I'm assuming here that only the Leigh branch is closed but it doesn't actually say that on the stoppage notice.

Leeds & Liverpool Canal > River Trent - inconvenient but not impossible.

I am due to meet up with my mate in Castlefield in June I'm coming over the Huddersfield and he's coming from the Lancaster Canal. With the prospect of a further delay it's looking like a change of plan for one or both of us. I'm assuming here that only the Leigh branch is closed but it doesn't actually say that on the stoppage notice.

The section from Castlefield through to Preston Brook and the Runcorn arm are unaffected by the stoppage. From Castlefield you would also be able to sail as far as Boothstown Marina.

Steve

Well that's really messed up my son's wedding plans. We had planned to take our boat down from Scarisbrick to London in April/May so that we could convey his lovely fiancee from Limehouse Basin to their do at Limehouse Town Hall at the end of May. I suppose we could still do it by going across to Leeds and back over the Rochdale or Huddersfield to Manchester. Looking at canal planner that will extend the journey from 20 x 7 hour days to 33 via the Rochdale or 31 via Huddersfield. 134 miles and 94 locks further on the Rochdale.

Well that's really messed up my son's wedding plans. We had planned to take our boat down from Scarisbrick to London in April/May so that we could convey his lovely fiancee from Limehouse Basin to their do at Limehouse Town Hall at the end of May. I suppose we could still do it by going across to Leeds and back over the Rochdale or Huddersfield to Manchester. Looking at canal planner that will extend the journey from 20 x 7 hour days to 33 via the Rochdale or 31 via Huddersfield. 134 miles and 94 locks further on the Rochdale.

Or from Leeds you could go via the Trent, or you could cross the Mersey from Liverpool to Eastham, then up the ship canal to either Ellesmere Port for the Shroppie or onto the Weaver and up Anderton Lift to the T&M.

Or from Leeds you could go via the Trent, or you could cross the Mersey from Liverpool to Eastham, then up the ship canal to either Ellesmere Port for the Shroppie or onto the Weaver and up Anderton Lift to the T&M.

We could but I don't think either the boat or me are geared up for tidal cruising!

I would recommend the Trent going upstream is a less daunting than coming down.

We could but I don't think either the boat or me are geared up for tidal cruising!

If you go up on a neap tide on a calm day I think you won't find much difference to going along a non-tidal river. It will take a bit longer but you can stay over at Torksey. I'm moored near Huddersfield and find the Trent a much easier and preferred option than the 'Narrow' and Standedge tunnel. I usually aim for an early morning spring tide as I like to get from Keadby to Newark in a day.

Could you not move it south before the closure ? You would only have to get to the Bridgewater canal, Stretford Marina is right next to waters Meeting. Then your plans could be back on track.

Just had an email 3/17 the latest dates for the closure are Monday 13th February at 8 am till Wednesday 24 th May at 12 noon. The rumour I have heard is that the council have not yet approved planning consent for the work to be carried out.

Could you not move it south before the closure ? You would only have to get to the Bridgewater canal, Stretford Marina is right next to waters Meeting. Then your plans could be back on track.

Unfortunately we can't. We have a number of pieces of work on the boat that need doing and we have people set up to do them, who could not do the work further south. In any case the extra mooring costs we would incur mean that it is virtually as economic to crane the boat out round the stoppage in April.

Just had an email 3/17 the latest dates for the closure are Monday 13th February at 8 am till Wednesday 24 th May at 12 noon. The rumour I have heard is that the council have not yet approved planning consent for the work to be carried out.

Given that this closure has been something of a moveable feast, did they state which year it will reopen?

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone has any recent update on this.

Some what scuppers our intentions of attend 'Steam on the Dock' at Liverpool in May.

Daniel