london Boat Show

regthecat

Featured Posts

I went last year and didn't think it was of much benefit to be honest. Having said that I am going again on Saturday as it is local to the marina and I am considering trading the Widebeam on for a monster dutch barge and so want o look at the developments in heating and gadgetry and the such like.

Worth going as a narrowboater???

You probably won't find any narrowboats there but plenty of gadgets and technology that can be used on the inland waterways.

It depends what you want.

They usually have a token gesture of inland boats stuffed away in a corner but mostly GRP ones.

We don't tend to bother with the London show as the Southampton one is so much better. But we have some free tickets this year so will probably go down.

The boat show was on the BBC news this morning. They were claiming that the UK leisure boat industry is a growing industry doing very well over the last 5 years.

The only problem was they were proclaiming this whilst sat on a US built boat frusty.gif

Worth going as a narrowboater???

In a word, No. However it is an interesting day out of only to see how the other half live!

The show is only a fraction of the size that it has been in the past. There will be dozens of salty water chandleries if you are after clothing, vhf radios etc and the engine manufacturer stands will normally show engines suitable for narrowboats.

The only canal related stand is normally the IWA.

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

Anyone going might notice that there are no narrowboats in the Royal docks this year, unlike previous years, but they are moored in West India Dock instead. I don't know the full story but understand that there were 'security issues' about mooring boats in the dock this year.

10 narrowboats cruised from City Mill Lock down through West India lock just after sunset last night. Short video at https://twitter.com/roggys/status/817103550916468737

return trip is Monday morning locking out at 8.30am and either back thru City Mill (depending on tidal levels) or Bow Locks. Of course City Mill can take all 10 boats rather than 5 separate lockings, most will then return back to St Pancras, hopefully before the lock shuts for weeks. I'll try to video the return trip but photos/videos don't do it justice...the river is HUGE around there.