2017 boating plans!

Dave Payne

Featured Posts

Only had my narrowboat for two months so far. (And what a two months its been)

Bought her down the grand union from rugby to the Paddington arm. Hopefully this year will do some trios to camden and maybe up the river lee. And also onto the way navigation if I can make time for it.

We had until yesterday a really nice plan to take our boat from Scarisbrick down to London in early Spring so that we can use it to deliver our son's fiancee to the wedding do at Limehouse Town Hall at the end of May. Then spend the Summer going over to Bristol and then back north the slow way.

Now the delay to the closure of the Bridgewater near Leigh until mid June means we either abandon the plan or take on the "slight" diversion round the stoppage via the L&L to Leeds and then back to Manchester via the Rochdale or Huddersfield. Going via the Rochdale will increase the journey from 285 miles and 186 locks to 419 miles and 396 locks!

Just a thought John. You have a month to get to the other side of the Bridgewater. Moor up somewhere and continue at leisure.

Such an important occasion.

That is a good idea if John can fit it in before the stoppage starts in February.

Ample marinas in the Anderton area.

Steve

We had until yesterday a really nice plan to take our boat from Scarisbrick down to London in early Spring so that we can use it to deliver our son's fiancee to the wedding do at Limehouse Town Hall at the end of May. Then spend the Summer going over to Bristol and then back north the slow way.

Now the delay to the closure of the Bridgewater near Leigh until mid June means we either abandon the plan or take on the "slight" diversion round the stoppage via the L&L to Leeds and then back to Manchester via the Rochdale or Huddersfield. Going via the Rochdale will increase the journey from 285 miles and 186 locks to 419 miles and 396 locks!

Why not go via L&L, Aire and Calder, Trent, Soar and Leicester Line to the GU? Still longer than your original route, but not as long as using the Rochdale.

MP.

Just a thought John. You have a month to get to the other side of the Bridgewater. Moor up somewhere and continue at leisure.

Such an important occasion.

It would be a good idea and I did think of it but have now decided against. We have quite a bit of work planned to be done in the next three months and would prefer that we use the people we have lined up to do it - we couldn't if the boat was further south. Whilst we could get the boat into a marina around Anderton the costs mean that it won't be much more to crane the boat round the stoppage when we are ready to set off in April. That looks like the favourite option as taking the route via Leeds looks challenging given what time we have.

Moomin Papa - neither the boat nor I are really geared up for tidal waters.

Moomin Papa - neither the boat nor I are really geared up for tidal waters.

Fair enough, but having done it for the first time this year, I can confirm that Keadby to Cromwell, with a stop at Torksey, is not necessarily a big stretch over canal cruising.

MP.

Hoping to finally get to Liverpool this spring though should probably crack on and book our passage and mooring I expect. Heard so many good things about mooring there so will give it a bash.

That was our plan but the stoppage on the Bridgewater has put paid to that.

It crosses the South Oxford where the big sign that says "you are now going under HS2" is

I wonder if I will still be boating when the HS2 comes into service

I would try a round trip, comprising the GU Leicester line to Watford Locks and on to Norton Junction, GU to Braunston, North Oxford to Hawkesbury Junction, Coventry Canal to Fradley, Trent & Mersey to Shardlow, River Trentham to River Soar, through Loughborough & Leicester, up Foxton Locks and back to Crick.

Your first locks will be volunteer operated, there are tunnels, easy rivers (if not in flood conditions) and a nice mix of countryside and town canals.

A very relaxed pace for 3-4 weeks, and doable in 2 if needs must.

Edited for spillung.

Thanks cuthound - I'd half considered a similar track to that but thought we should avoid rivers on our first outing - or am I being overly wimpy?

Thanks cuthound - I'd half considered a similar track to that but thought we should avoid rivers on our first outing - or am I being overly wimpy?

not at all. When we first did rivers there was apprehension, nervousness and reluctance. The rivers mentioned are really nothing to worry about. They can, as has been mentioned go into flood after heavy rain, but you will find locals,other boaters and signs will give you ample time to react to the conditions.

Rivers are certainly different to canals, they make a nice change.

However we spent sometime away from Canals last year going up the Ouse to York and Ripon. It was nice to get back to canals.

We set off from Wigan this morning where we have been sheltering from the promised big freeze and snow storms. These didn't appear.

We travelled all of two hundred yards to look 83. The pound about was about three foot down, all the way to the Wigan flight bottom lock and all the way through the two Poolstock locks. CRT were aware and all day they have been running water down the flight. So, tomorrow we attempt again to transit the Leigh branch and then the Bridgewater, as quickly as we can.

After that, to Chester and then a bit south to get onto the Llangollen. Unless it all changes again.

Martyn

We set off from Wigan this morning where we have been sheltering from the promised big freeze and snow storms. These didn't appear.

We travelled all of two hundred yards to look 83. The pound about was about three foot down, all the way to the Wigan flight bottom lock and all the way through the two Poolstock locks. CRT were aware and all day they have been running water down the flight. So, tomorrow we attempt again to transit the Leigh branch and then the Bridgewater, as quickly as we can.

After that, to Chester and then a bit south to get onto the Llangollen. Unless it all changes again.

Martyn

Have a good un biggrin.png

Martyn

Watch out for the razor wire lurking in the bottom of Poolstock No 1........

.... and have a good trip.

MP (stuck in a house and wishing he was boating.)

We sat down with the crew of Nitty Gritty Sunday lunchtime over a few pints to make some sketchy plans for our summer trip in Scotland. We roughly know what our plan will be on the Caledonian and we know when we are getting dunked in at Inverness Marina so it was more the West coast we were planning out.

This far the rough plan is:

To leave the canal at Corpach Sea Lock as early as we can and head to Glencoe to drop anchor and have a spot of lunch on Eilean Munde:

Pap%20of%20Glencoe.jpg

Before heading to The Holly Tree at Kentallen for our first overnight stop.

hollytree-hotel%20Kentallen.jpg

The next day we hope to head to Creagan Loch and spend the day at The Creagan Inn.

Creagan-Inn.jpg

Weather dependent we then plan to head out to Mull and send the day in Tobermory.

tobermory.jpg

The next stop will be the Isle of Seil for the evening.

Puilldobhrain%20anchorage%20Seil_2.jpg

Before we head to Oban for a couple of days rest and to get the boat ready to come back on the trailer. It will be here that we say goodbye to Nitty Gritty as they head out for a further week and plan to fit in the Crinan Canal. Whereas we will be picked up on the Friday from the Puffin Dive Centre near Oban and taken back to Lincoln for a couple of days of boat cleaning and chilling out.

obanberthing_2.jpg

I'm planning to have another crack at the tidal Trent at Easter and then onto the Chesterfield, which will be new territory for me.

I'll probably do the BCN Challenge again, even though there's not really any part of the BCN I haven't explored.

In the summer, not sure, but a trip down the Avon is always most welcome.

I'm planning to have another crack at the tidal Trent at Easter and then onto the Chesterfield, which will be new territory for me.

I'll probably do the BCN Challenge again, even though there's not really any part of the BCN I haven't explored.

In the summer, not sure, but a trip down the Avon is always most welcome.

We might see you around in that case cheers.gif

Martyn

Martin

When I walked past your boat yesterday just after 9.00am I noticed that one of the bottom paddles on Henhurst lock 83 was half open and that one of the top paddles was fully open so I rang CaRT who said that they would send someone out.

If you look at the wigantoday website under "Pensioner homes flood thought to be sabotage" you will realise that there where major problems with vandals 24 hours earlier.

Steve

Martin

When I walked past your boat yesterday just after 9.00am I noticed that one of the bottom paddles on Henhurst lock 83 was half open and that one of the top paddles was fully open so I rang CaRT who said that they would send someone out.

If you look at the wigantoday website under "Pensioner homes flood thought to be sabotage" you will realise that there where major problems with vandals 24 hours earlier.

Steve

Thanks Pie, we had to wait24 hours for CRT to restore the levels. It was vandalism. I had heard about floods in the area. These idiots don't realise the damage that can be caused by their actions. We are now in Leigh.

Martyn