Sawley Marina - For Sale, Business Opportunity

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

Tripadvisor highly rated coffee shop & bistro operating from superbly fitted 65 internal cover/45 external cover character parade premises in select village marina with high volume of year-round regular & passing trade & HUGE scope for extended hours & outside catering etc or adaptable to host of alternative licensed dining & hospitality styles in fantastic location priced for genuine retirement sale with viewing absolutely essential.

Asking price (Leasehold) £329,995

Turnover £250,000

Thanks for the information, Alan. prospective buyers should realise that the "village marina" is right next to a wide and busy main road, and that there is a large pub a short walk away which may provide competition. But Sawley has hundreds of moorers and has a constant stream of visitors, so this could be a good opportunity for someone. It would be good to see it run by a forum member.

What is this "coffee shop"? It sounds very 18th century. We more often call them cafés nowadays. But then the canals are 18th century too, so perhaps the name fits.

Thanks for the information, Alan. prospective buyers should realise that the "village marina" is right next to a wide and busy main road, and that there is a large pub a short walk away which may provide competition.

And - the Village of Sawley is a 'good' walk (or bus ride away from the marina.

The 'coffee shop' does do excellent breakfasts, bacon butties, lunches etc but (for me) is a bit 'upmarket' in both portion sizes and prices.

And - the Village of Sawley is a 'good' walk (or bus ride away from the marina.

The 'coffee shop' does do excellent breakfasts, bacon butties, lunches etc but (for me) is a bit 'upmarket' in both portion sizes and prices.

I too like what they do there but its rather disorganised at times. I think they deliberately price it higher than the nearest competition The plank and leggit at the marina gates to give people a different choice of venues. The Plank and Leggit makes even Wetherspoon hovels look good and that is saying something.

We used to go to Sawley Marina quite often when we lived in Heanor, but we never went in the pub. I think we were put off by its name! It looks like what I call a "six bars, four restaurants" establishment.

I have stopped there for a breakfast and found it to be very good. I think they get a good footfall in the area with moorers, people visiting the chandlery or just folks turning up to look at the pretty boats.

It takes a lot of hard work and dedication to run this type of business with the hours that tend to be expected of you

I have stopped there for a breakfast and found it to be very good. I think they get a good footfall in the area with moorers, people visiting the chandlery or just folks turning up to look at the pretty boats.

It takes a lot of hard work and dedication to run this type of business with the hours that tend to be expected of you

Much better to run one at the side of the Oxford canal and close for 7 weeks for christmas biggrin.png

Tripadvisor highly rated coffee shop & bistro operating from superbly fitted 65 internal cover/45 external cover character parade premises in select village marina with high volume of year-round regular & passing trade & HUGE scope for extended hours & outside catering etc or adaptable to host of alternative licensed dining & hospitality styles in fantastic location priced for genuine retirement sale with viewing absolutely essential.

Asking price (Leasehold) £329,995

Turnover £250,000

Sounds like a lot of money for a glorified bacon butty outlet!

Just seemed a high asking price given the turnover. Perhaps there's great potential in increasing the turnover.

My view is that you shouldn't really be paying for potential, just real income and the goodwill that goes with it. I have to admit that I haven't run a business for quite a few years.

Been to Sawley marina once. I'm guessing this is the biggish place near the chandlers.

Just seemed a high asking price given the turnover. Perhaps there's great potential in increasing the turnover.

My view is that you shouldn't really be paying for potential, just real income and the goodwill that goes with it. I have to admit that I haven't run a business for quite a few years.

Been to Sawley marina once. I'm guessing this is the biggish place near the chandlers.

Yes its near the Chandlers but no realy very big and I wouldnt be giving them anything like that price but hey ho there is one born every minute.

Consulting my offspring, a caff is naff but a coffee shop is - insert a current expression meaning highly desirable -

Apart from fashion, the main difference seems to be that a coffee shop produces coffee that is worth getting up earlier for in order to take a painfully slowly generated "cupful" away with you on the way to work rather than make it yourself and a caff you only sit in it while you drink. Am I close?

Consulting my offspring, a caff is naff but a coffee shop is - insert a current expression meaning highly desirable -

Apart from fashion, the main difference seems to be that a coffee shop produces coffee that is worth getting up earlier for in order to take a painfully slowly generated "cupful" away with you on the way to work rather than make it yourself and a caff you only sit in it while you drink. Am I close?

No.

Following the departure of the long term incumbent about 4 years ago the cafe was taken on by a sandwich shop owner from Beeston.

Their first action was to redecorate and remove approx 50% of the indoor seating, shortly followed by the arrival of a sign proclaiming it as a "bistro".

Service in those early days ranged from totally ignoring customers through to "sorry, we've run out of food".

Fortunately the service did improve somewhat, but never to a level where they could deal with the throughput to make the place profitable; often stopping breakfast orders 30 minutes early and turning people away.

We often went in for Sunday lunch under the previous ownership, no booking, and rarely waited more than what seemed a few minutes; now its bookings only and far from speedy.

Hopefully someone with appropriate catering experience can be found to revitalise it, but the price needs to be right for that to happen.

Following the departure of the long term incumbent about 4 years ago the cafe was taken on by a sandwich shop owner from Beeston.

Their first action was to redecorate and remove approx 50% of the indoor seating, shortly followed by the arrival of a sign proclaiming it as a "bistro".

Service in those early days ranged from totally ignoring customers through to "sorry, we've run out of food".

Fortunately the service did improve somewhat, but never to a level where they could deal with the throughput to make the place profitable; often stopping breakfast orders 30 minutes early and turning people away.

We often went in for Sunday lunch under the previous ownership, no booking, and rarely waited more than what seemed a few minutes; now its bookings only and far from speedy.

Hopefully someone with appropriate catering experience can be found to revitalise it, but the price needs to be right for that to happen.

yes i agree it was a much better place when it served proper food by a french chef.

the bad thing is there is no night time customers only on a thursday as the marina lock the main gates, i suppose you could park in the pub and walk in but why would you do that.

Edited by GoodGurl