Canal World

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hounddog

Brexit 2017

3,012 posts in this topic

it's 2017, about time we started another broiler examining the implications of the undemocratic decision to leave the EU.

Unapologetically I start with a link, though the title says it all really; a Dutch woman has been told to leave the country after living here 24 years, giving birth to two English children, because EU spouses of English citizens have no right to live here. https://www.facebook.com/theguardian/posts/10154893130346323

Edited by hounddog

The future is there for those who make it.

The 'sheep' that just follow the flock have no place in deciding the future.

In a democratic decision the majority determined the future - the minority just follow on behind bleating.

The future is there for those who make it.

The 'sheep' that just follow the flock have no place in deciding the future.

In a democratic decision the majority determined the future - the minority just follow on behind bleating.

Democratic? What exactly does that mean?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/dec/28/people-brexit-cameron-blair-flawed-leaders

The referendum result was about 50/50 and very few voters knew what was being offered.

Not sure if this is factually correct, I think she can stay. I like the Guardian but I think this is a bit of hysteria.

Not sure if this is factually correct, I think she can stay. I like the Guardian but I think this is a bit of hysteria.

It's the uncertainty that's the problem in the original link..

Er, no.

Er, yes -- I've just bought my new licence and it runs for calendar 2017!

The referendum result was about 50/50 and very few voters knew what was being offered.

The referendum result was about 52/48.

Had the 52 been to remain, politicians of all colours, except perhaps UKIP, would have been crowing about how decisive the result was, and even as I type this, would have been preparing to incorporate the next set of Euro diktats into UK law.

George ex nb Alton retired

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/dec/28/people-brexit-cameron-blair-flawed-leaders

It was a 'fair way' off being 50/50 (1,000,000 votes is not to be sneezed at)

I take it you are suggesting that had the voters known what was on offer there would have been a much larger majority for Brexit - after all, the sky didn't fall in the day after the vote, Nissan are going to produce two new models in the UK, the good news just gets better and better. Shame the 'lies' told by the remainers influenced so many.

it's 2017, about time we started another broiler examining the implications of the undemocratic decision to leave the EU.

Unapologetically I start with a link, though the title says it all really; a Dutch woman has been told to leave the country after living here 24 years, giving birth to two English children, because EU spouses of English citizens have no right to live here. https://www.facebook.com/theguardian/posts/10154893130346323

I'm sure a broiler is a sort of chicken.

I think you mean, you didn't know what the vote was about. Wasn't it going to be a foregone conclusion, and wasn't.

The referendum result was about 52/48.

Had the 52 been to remain, politicians of all colours, except perhaps UKIP, would have been crowing about how decisive the result was, and even as I type this, would have been preparing to incorporate the next set of Euro diktats into UK law.

I believe that Farage is on record saying that if the vote was as close as 52% staying, he would expect another referendum. Kept quiet when it was 52% to leave.

I'm sure a broiler is a sort of chicken.

Broiling is actually a method of cooking, you can have broiled sweetcorn, broiled beef steak, broiled chicken etc.

Maybe the OP thinks that they have 'cooked the goose'

Nissan are going to produce two new models in the UK, the good news just gets better and better.

You mean that one of them is going to replace the Qashquai? Good news indeed.

Broiling is actually a method of cooking, you can have broiled sweetcorn, broiled beef steak, broiled chicken etc.

Yes but, as Tomsk says, a broiler is a sort of chicken - generally an old hen which is too tough to be roasted.

EDIT: actually I think that that's a "boiler". But what's an "r" between friends?

Edited by Athy

You mean that one of them is going to replace the Qashquai? Good news indeed.

Yes but, as Tomsk says, a broiler is a sort of chicken - generally an old hen which is too tough to be roasted.

EDIT: actually I think that that's a "boiler". But what's an "r" between friends?

I think the Qashquai is about the most boring car I have ever driven and I have driven loadsa cars.

It's the uncertainty that's the problem in the original link..

Er, yes -- I've just bought my new licence and it runs for calendar 2017!

it's several things;

the uncertainty, yes

the kafkaesque box-ticking

the fact that this person is so obviously an asset to Britain but is put in a situation where she feels unwelcome

the fact that no one has considered how Brexit changed these rules that have built up over 40 years

that there is no mechanism whereby individuals are considered

all because of the Brexit referendum.

this will, probably, end as holland's gain and britain's loss as our country dies by a thousand cuts ( pun not intended though appropriate)

There are none so blind as the remoaners.

An eloquent and articulate statement that exactly addresses the issues face by this woman.

Actually I think you'll find it's the method by which the Danish produce bacon. I'm sorry but your dictionary is out of date.

Yes I too read this as the headline made it seem shocking. Having read the detail though it is not as it seems, as you probably know. It is in fact a non story.

I have not read this thread.

Whatever action,I , take will not make a jot of difference to what is destined for this great country of ours.

I'm sick and fed up of all the speculation. What ever party is in power, the majority of the population will not be happy. I doubt that we will actually leave the EU. I hope we do, and we become a prosperous and successful unit within the world. We have gone beyond dominance and control, we have lost the ability to defend ourselves,especially our out lying territories. Let's just hope that we can rebuild our armed forces to protect our shores from physical invaders or cyberspace infiltrators.

In the words of a great member of Capt. Mainwarings platoon, "We are ALL Doomed!!'

Why on Earth was it undemocratic?

Over a million more British citizens voted to leave the EU than voted to remain within it.

What is so difficult to comprehend about that?

Or are you one of those to whom money is God to the exclusion of a general quality of life, bosses who want the latest update to the trim on their four wheeled penis substitute or just someone who likes to deny the right to own for working class people for the sake of cheap, imported labour and Corporate profits?

I remember the question of Brexit coming up many years ago, way before the reality of it and when a certain number of people signed a petition which meant it had to be debated in The Commons.

A certain Carlt (where is he now, still handing out Fererro Rocher in the Macedonian Embassy or did his online ego swell to bursting point, very much like the public's distain at the EU?) seemed to delight in a failed attempt to ridicule the process but who's laughing now eh?

I think those that doth protest too much should grasp the meaning of democracy, thanks to Theresa May they will not reach Dictator status as they appear to want to be doing.

I shall not hang around for a response, I've said my bit.

Over a million more British citizens voted to leave the EU than voted to remain within it.

Most of whom believed (wrongly of course) that we give £350M a week to the EU.

As for Nissan, how much of the taxpayers money do you think has been offered as a bribe to get them to stay?

Broilers are hens. Back in the seventies I worked in a chicken processing factory. Eight week old birds.Every so often we had to deal with hens that were no longer capable of laying twice a day. These were broilers. Cook slowly otherwise they will be tough to eat.

Edited by Cheshire cat

What is so difficult to comprehend about that?

I think those that doth protest too much should grasp the meaning of democracy, thanks to Theresa May they will not reach Dictator status as they appear to want to be doing.

I shall not hang around for a response, I've said my bit.

16 -18 year olds -those who will be most affected did not get a vote nor did EU citizens resident here.

Theresa May was not elected

Or are you one of those to whom money is God to the exclusion of a general quality of life, bosses who want the latest update to the trim on their four wheeled penis substitute or just someone who likes to deny the right to own for working class people for the sake of cheap, imported labour and Corporate profits?

we came here for an argument not abuse!

A man walks into an office.

Man: (Michael Palin) Ah. I'd like to have an argument, please.

Receptionist: Certainly sir. Have you been here before?

Man: No, this is my first time.

Receptionist: I see. Well, do you want to have the full argument, or were you thinking of taking a course?

Man: Well, what would be the cost?

Receptionist: Well, It's one pound for a five minute argument, but only eight pounds for a course of ten.

Man: Well, I think it's probably best if I start with the one and then see how it goes from there, okay?

Receptionist: Fine. I'll see who's free at the moment.

(Pause)

Receptionist: Mr. DeBakey's free, but he's a little bit conciliatory. Ahh yes, Try Mr. Barnard; room 12.

Man: Thank you. (Walks down the hall. Opens door.)

Angry man: WHADDAYOU WANT?

Man: Well, Well, I was told outside that...

Angry man: DON'T GIVE ME THAT, YOU SNOTTY-FACED HEAP OF PARROT DROPPINGS!

Man: What?

A: SHUT YOUR FESTERING GOB, YOU TIT! YOUR TYPE MAKES ME PUKE! YOU VACUOUS TOFFEE-NOSED MALODOROUS PERVERT!!!

M: Yes, but I came here for an argument!!

A: OH! Oh! I'm sorry! This is abuse!

M: Oh! Oh I see!

A: Aha! No, you want room 12A, next door.

M: Oh...Sorry...

A: Not at all!

A: (under his breath) stupid git.

(The man goes into room 12A. Another man is sitting behind a desk.)

Man: Is this the right room for an argument?

Other Man:(John Cleese) I've told you once.

Man: No you haven't!

Other Man: Yes I have.

M: When?

O: Just now.

M: No you didn't!

O: Yes I did!

M: You didn't!

O: I did!

M: You didn't!

O: I'm telling you, I did!

M: You did not!

O: Oh I'm sorry, is this a five minute argument, or the full half hour?

M: Ah! (taking out his wallet and paying) Just the five minutes.

O: Just the five minutes. Thank you.

O: Anyway, I did.

M: You most certainly did not!

O: Now let's get one thing quite clear: I most definitely told you!

M: Oh no you didn't!

O: Oh yes I did!

M: No you DIDN'T!

M: Oh look, this isn't an argument!

(pause)

O: Yes it is!

M: No it isn't!

(pause)

M: It's just contradiction!

O: No it isn't!

M: It IS!

O: It is NOT!

M: You just contradicted me!

O: No I didn't!

M: You DID!

O: No no no!

M: You did just then!

O: Nonsense!

M: (exasperated) Oh, this is futile!!

(pause)

M: Yes it is!

(pause)

M: I came here for a good argument!

O: AH, no you didn't, you came here for an argument!

M: An argument isn't just contradiction.

O: Well! it CAN be!

M: No it can't!

M: An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.

M: Yes it is! 'tisn't just contradiction.

O: Look, if I *argue* with you, I must take up a contrary position!

M: Yes but it isn't just saying 'no it isn't'.

M: No it ISN'T! Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says.

O: It is NOT!

M: It is!

O: Not at all!

M: It is!

(The Arguer hits a bell on his desk and stops.)

O: Thank you, that's it.

M: (stunned) What?

O: That's it. Good morning.

M: But I was just getting interested!

O: I'm sorry, the five minutes is up.

M: That was never five minutes just now!!

O: I'm afraid it was.

M: (leading on) No it wasn't.....

O: I'm sorry, I'm not allowed to argue any more.

M: WHAT??

O: If you want me to go on arguing, you'll have to pay for another five minutes.

M: But that was never five minutes just now!

Oh Come on!

Oh this is...

This is ridiculous!

O: I told you... I told you, I'm not allowed to argue unless you PAY!

M: Oh all right. (takes out his wallet and pays again.) There you are.

O: Thank you.

M: (clears throat) Well...

O: Well WHAT?

M: That was never five minutes just now.

O: I told you, I'm not allowed to argue unless you've paid!

M: Well I just paid!

O: No you didn't!

M: I DID!!!

O: YOU didn't!

M: I don't want to argue about it!

O: Well I'm very sorry but you didn't pay!

M: Ah hah! Well if I didn't pay, why are you arguing??? Ah HAAAAAAHHH! Gotcha!

O: No you haven't!

M: Yes I have! If you're arguing, I must have paid.

O: Not necessarily. I *could* be arguing in my spare time.

M: I've had enough of this!

O: No you haven't.

M: Oh shut up!

(Man leaves the office)

Edited by Phoenix_V

Most of whom believed (wrongly of course) that we give £350M a week to the EU.

As for Nissan, how much of the taxpayers money do you think has been offered as a bribe to get them to stay?

How many who voted to remain thought they were voting for a continuation of the status quo, not appreciating the continuous evolving of the EU into a super state?

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0