Boat Phone

ditchcrawler

Featured Posts

Ever since we have had this boat I have used a Nokia 6310i with a Boaters Phone Co external aerial. The phone is getting tied, the buttons iffy and battery life getting shorter so I need something to replace it with. So what is available with an external aerial socket these days please.

Hello

Yes, I was the same until 3 Mobile introduced a MiFi with an aerial socket (actually two!) which is the same as the connection to the Nokia..

So out with 6310i and I joined the world of smartphones 18 months ago.

Now I have continuous connection everywhere. Yes, there's always dodgy places like Audlem where connectivity is on and off, but in the last C.1500 miles cruising they are very, very rare.

Through my old Boaters Phone Co 3G (?) antennae the MiFi feeds both my phone and my laptop.

And you can just unplug it, pop it in your pocket and take it with you anywhere and get connected, even to those places with free WiFi, which smartphones use as well as 4G. Many places with Free Wifi don't have as good a connection as I get with my MiFi.

Brilliant.

Try it.

James

Edited by JamesWoolcock

We use a Hauwie 5776s mifi router which has an external aerial port, that in turn talks to all our phones and tablets. A far better way of doing it. Also we found that when we replaced our old

Nokia with a Moto G the reception improved so much an external aerial was rarely needed.

Top Cat

We use a MiFi which gives wireless internet to our phones and Ipads but in all honesty, I am very seldom stuck for an internet connection just using my smart phone (a Sony Xperia). I am with EE (as is the Mifi) and we have no arial, external or internal. We just hang the MiFi on a curtain rail sometimes to improve the service.

It is years since I have had to go outside the boat to get a signal.

I was with O2 for a short time but the coverage (phone and internet) was so appalling that I switched back to EE.

haggis

Ps I think Iains phone is an even older model than yours and I am trying to move him into this century :-)

Edited by haggis

Have you tried an 'GSM Desktop phone'? Can be hardwired into the boat 12V, Full size handset and aerial socket. Useful if working abroad and take a lot of calls. Only downside is you can not just pop it in your pocket and go out. But as a boat phone it does the job. On sale from £40 upwards depending on model.

$_35.JPG?set_id=8800005007

I want to make and receive telephone calls, I have my internet sorted thanks. I just want a phone with an aerial socket.

Ah, sorry. Misunderstood. I can actually use my phone inside the boat to make calls without an ariel and I was just trying to say (not very successfully) that phones are a bit better now and don't need an ariel where a few years ago, you always did.

I am enjoying your Blog, thanks,

Haggis