Bridgewater Canal permanent mooring

silverlode

Featured Posts

Hello,

Totally new to boating and looking for a permanent (non residential) mooring on the Bridgewater Canal (preferably close to Manchester) but can't find any information. Have been unable to get a response from bridgewatercanal@peel.co.uk and wondered what everyone else's experience was? Is it usual to have trouble gaining info about this sort of thing? Have seen mwebb@peel.co.uk suggested many times, but he has now retired. Finding it very frustrating.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice, it would be very gratefully received!

Amelia

http://www.stretfordmarine.com/

Try the above they may have a mooring available

Ray

Thanks Ray, have just emailed them.

If you are totally new to boating you may not know that if you moor on the Bridgewater you will only be able to travel a limited distance off that canal before you have to buy a CRT licence in addition to the Bridgewater one. Excuse me if you already know this.

I was aware of that, although it still confuses me slightly! Lots more research to do...

Many of the Bridgewater moorings are provided by the cruising clubs. Try contracting them.

Just having a search for cruising clubs now, thanks for that!

Silverlode

Go to the Bridgewater Canal Company website and look under boating then moorings and you will find a full list of available moorings.

Steve

Thanks Steve, I think I've already found that page, but it's not clear whether the moorings are available - the area/boat clubs are listed rather than any individual mooring info. I've emailed a few of them and will try calling the rest another day (I expect most people would prefer boxing day off...!)

Bridgewater Canal Company aka Peel Holdings have been advertising moorings in Castlefield "Marina" and at Preston Brook Marina. I think there is alao an option of a Platinum Licence which allows you to moor on the canal.

I was looking at Castlefield Marina... I've heard very mixed reviews about it but that doesn't bother me too much; I'd rather see for myself. Have sent several emails to them with no response, so will have to face my phone phobia and call them I suspect... unsure.png

If you are totally new to boating you may not know that if you moor on the Bridgewater you will only be able to travel a limited distance off that canal before you have to buy a CRT licence in addition to the Bridgewater one. Excuse me if you already know this.

The limits of navigation for Bridgewater boaters are :- Harecastle tunnel, Barbridge junction, Blackburn locks, Burscough and you are allowed up to 7 days.

An extra 7 days is allowed for boats going on the Liverpool Link - but the agreement for this expires on 31.12.16.

If you wish to travel beyond these points you can purchase a discounted licence from CaRT.

Steve

Bridgewater Canal Company aka Peel Holdings have been advertising moorings in Castlefield "Marina" and at Preston Brook Marina. I think there is alao an option of a Platinum Licence which allows you to moor on the canal.

I believe that you have to have a permanent mooring to get a Platinum Licence, at least that is what I was told by Peter Parkinson when I phoned him. OK, I didn't phone him personally, he just happened to answer the phone when I rang - they do answer sometimes but you have to be patient!

• 1 month later...