Looks like a bleed valve.

Featured Posts

This appears to be a bleed valve. It is fitted in in the return pipe from the calorifier to the engine cooling system on my Beta 28 engine. As this is at the lowest point in the return pipe I cannot think for the life of me why it is there and it is weeping coolant from the screw. I am going to replace it with a compression tail fitting unless someone can see a reason for it being there that i have missed?

post-25304-0-75387300-1482251140_thumb.jpg

This appears to be a bleed valve. It is fitted in in the return pipe from the calorifier to the engine cooling system on my Beta 28 engine. As this is at the lowest point in the return pipe I cannot think for the life of me why it is there and it is weeping coolant from the screw. I am going to replace it with a compression tail fitting unless someone can see a reason for it being there that i have missed?

It's probably installed to reduce flow/heat/balance the heat between engine and skin cooling system. A service valve isn't advisable to use on heating systems. Replace it with a full bore lever valve and set the valve to it's original position.

Jamescheers.gif

Thanks Guys. I will replace with a lever valve as suggested. At the moment the screw just rotates completely and I set it in the off position as it weeps less like that. There is a proper lever valve on the feed pipe to the calorifier where it leaves the engine so this one is obviously there to isolate the system completely but I don't really see the need for it.