Camden Moorings

WJM

Featured Posts

For years the moorings above Hampstead Road Locks (Camden) have been completely full with 'CCers' - like every mooring space in London! But for maybe a year now they have been empty and available to genuine travellers. What has brought this change about?

For years the moorings above Hampstead Road Locks (Camden) have been completely full with 'CCers' - like every mooring space in London! But for maybe a year now they have been empty and available to genuine travellers. What has brought this change about?

They weren't empty when we went through in the summer

• 2 weeks later...

They have been re-designated! What used to be visitor moorings now appear to be lock landing spaces. At least I think that is what has happened - the bollards are painted yellow, is this a new system for marking spaces for boats waiting to use a lock?

Pretty sure that's always been a lock landing but people started mooring there anyway. Now C&RT are enforcing it as a lock landing I guess. There's no way I would spend a night that close to Camden lock though!

• Greenie 1

They used to be clearly signed as a 4 hour stop and shop mooring, very useful for a quick look at the market and then on to safer places.

Then the signs disapeared during building work and the ccers moved in.

Then they decided to make them a lock waiting area. Pleas to reinstate the 4 hour mooring fell on deaf ears. Yet another loss of mooring space for people passing through London.

I have never known any use of them as lock waiting areas, hardly necessary when the locks here are doubled, we always used to (still do) moor by the lock gates.

the bollards are painted yellow, is this a new system for marking spaces for boats waiting to use a lock?

yes yellow for lock waiting. Blue for water point/sanitory

Edited by Phoenix_V

Is that an official policy or just something happening around London so they know they cant moor atthe locks etc.

It's an initiative in the London Region,and has been largely effective although there are always a very small minority who dont play ball.The full time Mooring Rangers ,who have enforcement powers,have also been very helpful in spreading the word about these yellow bollards.

Edited by Quaffer

I have never known any use of them as lock waiting areas, hardly necessary when the locks here are doubled, we always used to (still do) moor by the lock gates.

However for the less physically able,the lock landing is essential ,especially if no VLK's are on duty.

plenty of room even mooring bollards here on left

london-camdem-lock-13.jpg

Yes that would be fine if able to disembark from the front of the boat when navigating "down hill.".My friend with severe knee issues can only disembark from the counter which is not possible at this location,hence the need for the lock landing,which when it was full of moored boats presented a real problem.I suspect CRT took note of boater complaints about the situation here.