Water heater pilot light gas use ?

Nev

Featured Posts

I am regularly getting my missus complaining when I turn off the pilot light for the the water heater - I do it overnight and when we leave the boat. I do it for gas saving .... I think it saves enough gas to make it worth doing.... as you might imagine she does not hence the post..... anyone got an idea how much gas I am saving by turning it off ?

Nev

I am regularly getting my missus complaining when I turn off the pilot light for the the water heater - I do it overnight and when we leave the boat. I do it for gas saving .... I think it saves enough gas to make it worth doing.... as you might imagine she does not hence the post..... anyone got an idea how much gas I am saving by turning it off ?

Nev

Quite a lot if left on 24/7, similar amount as what a gas fridge uses. It would roughly halve the life of a full gas bottle.

Nev

On my first liveaboard we used the massive 18Kg propane bottles and we left the pilot light ON all the time, and we had a gas fridge too. A bottle used to last us about a month.

Now my gas locker will only take the leetle 6Kg bottles and if I leave the pilot ON all the time, a bottle only seems to only last a few days. If I turn it OFF when not in use a bottle seems to last me (living alone now... ahhhh) a few weeks.

My bottles' lifespan stretched from about 7 to 13 weeks when I stopped leaving the pilot on. When I added a calorifier (and stopped using gas except for cooking) the life extended to 20-odd weeks. Single male...

Nev

Would you really be happy to know that you had left a naked flame burning on a boat you were not using?

To put a figure on it, an old caravan style fridge uses about 330g in 24 hrs, according to the specs anyway!

So yes, you are saving a fair bit as, like Bizz , I recon they use about the same as a gas fridge...

And what monkey said too...MUCH safer when you are not there ....

Thank you for all of your helpful replies, I did not ever think it would be up there with a gas fridge..... this is one issue we will now put to bed on Percy with me having the smug feeling on being right

Thank you for all of your helpful replies, I did not ever think it would be up there with a gas fridge..... this is one issue we will now put to bed on Percy with me having the smug feeling on being right

It won't last ;)

Bet you wont feel as smug when you find out the cost of being smug.................

Thank you for all of your helpful replies, I did not ever think it would be up there with a gas fridge..... this is one issue we will now put to bed on Percy......

The sound of a man who asked a question and got his 'preferred' answer. Now. About these other issues.........icecream.gif

There are just two rules in my marriage:

1) SWMBO is always right

2) If SWMBO is wrong, refer to rule one.

I really don't know why men put up with that sort of nonsense? I'd rather be single. If it was the other way around the man would be called "a control freak","childish" or "insecure", yet it's just accepted as the norm when it's a woman.

When a man behaves badly he's just stupid, but when women are unreasonable they're "complex creatures". I'm afraid I judge both genders by the same standards.

I really don't know why men put up with that sort of nonsense? I'd rather be single. If it was the other way around the man would be called "a control freak","childish" or "insecure", yet it's just accepted as the norm when it's a woman.

When a man behaves badly he's just stupid, but when women are unreasonable they're "complex creatures". I'm afraid I judge both genders by the same standards.

I guess your not married then???

• Greenie 2

Catweasel has a happy and fulfilling life, probably helped by excellent navigation skills and the ability to compromise

CT

ITYF it was a joke.....

MP.

ITYF

New abbreviation on me that one.

I seem to have correctly guessed "I think you'll find".......

However I note other suggestions have it listed as "I think you're f***ed"!

Maybe one to use with caution!

New abbreviation on me that one.

I seem to have correctly guessed "I think you'll find".......

However I note other suggestions have it listed as "I think you're f***ed"!

Maybe one to use with caution!

Ah yes, a bit like GFY. "Good for you"

Or alternatively, "Go .... yourself"...!

It is a joke between my wife and myself. It could just as easily apply to me. We have been together for 35 years in January so we must have something going on :)

I wouldn't swap her, not even for a Moto Guzzi Le Mans in blue (another joke we share.)

It is a joke between my wife and myself. It could just as easily apply to me. We have been together for 35 years in January so we must have something going on :)

I wouldn't swap her, not even for a Moto Guzzi Le Mans in blue (another joke we share.)

I used to have a blue Moto Guzzi Le Mans. If only I still had it, I could tempt you for a swap.

Anyway, I'd say a pilot light does use a noticeable amount of gas 24/7, but nothing like as much as a fridge.

Edited by nicknorman

I used to have a blue Moto Guzzi Le Mans. If only I still had it, I could tempt you for a swap.

It was and possibly still is my dream bike. I am extremely envious :)

Going way off topic now, but a local lad bought one many years ago, and a conversation started in the pub one night. Another lad had a race the next day at the Aintree circuit in the production race. He persuaded the Guzzi owner to let him race the almost brand new Le Mans. Not being used to a shaft drive and inline engine, during practice it high sided him and did considerable damage to the vee engine rcker box on one side. Undeterred they patched it with some kind of putty stuff and he rode it in the race. Can't rmemeber exactly now but he was very well placed in the race. Same guy was still racing when in his 70's (not on his mate's Guzzi though!) Must have cost a few bob to fix the Guzzi though ohmy.png

Judging by the injector size, the heater will use about 4% of a fridge usage. When I had a gas fridge and a multipoint with the pilot on 24/7, a 13kg bottle lasted about 2 weeks.. Replacing the gas fridge with electric stretched the bottle to 6-7 weeks. For the times you need to run the engine for hot water whilst moored, I reckon the pilot light wins, as you have hot water whenever you need it. I can moor in the summer for a couple of days with impunity and no engine, as solar keeps the batteries topped up. Those with calorifiers will be running their engines the morning after a day cruising, and again in the evening. What price gas vs diesel and shortened service intervals. Turning off the pilot is OK if swmbo can manage without hot water without thought.

Judging by the injector size, the heater will use about 4% of a fridge usage. When I had a gas fridge and a multipoint with the pilot on 24/7, a 13kg bottle lasted about 2 weeks.. Replacing the gas fridge with electric stretched the bottle to 6-7 weeks. For the times you need to run the engine for hot water whilst moored, I reckon the pilot light wins, as you have hot water whenever you need it. I can moor in the summer for a couple of days with impunity and no engine, as solar keeps the batteries topped up. Those with calorifiers will be running their engines the morning after a day cruising, and again in the evening. What price gas vs diesel and shortened service intervals. Turning off the pilot is OK if swmbo can manage without hot water without thought.

I am considering fitting a Morco for the reasons you state. We used to move very day pre-solar panels, but now we can stay places longer. This has caused a shortfall of hot water from the calorifier, so our needs have changed. We had one on the previous boat and it was excellent. Never done the sums, but it makes sense that it is cheaper than running engine for just hot water.

It was and possibly still is my dream bike. I am extremely envious :)

It wasn't a bad bike but I didn't much like the torque reaction (rocking, and effect on rear suspension extension) nor the linked brakes. I did like not having to oil the chain! My next bike was a Ducati 900SS desmo (the late 70s version) which was a fantastic bike.