Widebeam mooring on the Grand Union

Aunty_Rinum

Featured Posts

My copy of Nicholson - Grand Union, Oxford & the South East, contains a navigational note:

"BW request that no wide beam craft moor on line between here [Hemel Hempstead] and Braunston".

The reference to BW shows that it's an old note, but it can't still be true, can it?

Sorry, I seem to have put this thread in the crew swap section by mistake. Can a moderator move it?

Thanks for the replies. I'm on my way up the GU now, so I'll find out if anyone complains. If there are widebeams moored online there already then not a problem.

Edited by Aunty_Rinum

Thanks for the replies. I'm on my way up the GU now, so I'll find out if anyone complains. If there are widebeams moored online there already then not a problem.

One of the main problems with wide-beams on the GU North of Tring Summit is where many of the owners choose to tie up. Not content with "on a narrow bit", "on a bend", or "opposite heavily hanging trees", many go for a combination of at least two of these things, and often all three!

All joking apart, the canal was built for narrow beam craft, with no expectation that wide-beams would use it, so the fact that dozens now tie up in often the most unsuitable places is having a considerable impact on all boat owners trying to navigate it.

12 foot plus ones are increasingly more common, the ones that were little over 10 feet were rather less problematic, but many of the new ones now taking up residence are of the ultra-wide variety, unfortunately. They really are not suitable craft for this canal.

My copy of Nicholson - Grand Union, Oxford & the South East, contains a navigational note:

"BW request that no wide beam craft moor on line between here [Hemel Hempstead] and Braunston".

The reference to BW shows that it's an old note, but it can't still be true, can it?

The use of the word "request" suggests to me that this note was not backed up by any enforcement (it clearly isn't now), but was more a case of "Come on people, if you must bring a widebeam that far up the GU please do the decent thing and moor offline". Certainly there are plenty of widebeams moored online north of Berkhamstead, particularly at MK, and some much further north. I can remember seeing at least one just below Knowle this year, and as I said on another topic the other day I think a 70x12 boat could navigate right up to the end of the GU at the top of Camp Hill if it had a small enough draught to get through the cutting after Catherine de Barnes (about 3 feet) and a small enough air draught to get under the tightest bridges.

Re the Blisworth and Braunston tunnels: Yes, a widebeam MUST book passage with CRT. Usually they are booked to go through about 8 or 9 in the morning, and CRT staff ensure no-one is coming the other way. Nobody wants to have to reverse a mile or so in a tunnel!

• 3 months later...

I get the distinct impression of widebeamophobia. Its a bit like folks in winnebagos trying to tour through the cotswold lanes isnt it ? Jeremy Clarkson would have something to say if he was a boater. Probably good job he,s not !  Live n let live I say, just dont moor on bends or opposite overhanging trees.

On 16/12/2016 at 11:21, matty40s said:

There are over 20 in production at the Collingwood/Aintree yard at present. ..

They'll be craning them into the pounds on the Oxford next, and the owners will be clamouring for a reduced licence because they can't go anywhere...

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

They'll be craning them into the pounds on the Oxford next, and the owners will be clamouring for a reduced licence because they can't go anywhere...

Someone has had one craned into the Coventry Canal, fortunately it is confined to Alvecote Marina :o