Batteries Again

Featured Posts

Ok guys. Opinions required.

Our batteries will need replacing shortly. So the query is do we stick with what we have (Varta AGM) or buy Traction batteries next time?

Now the trouble is our batteries are not easy to gain access too so maintenance is an issue.

The current Vartas have lasked 5 years with no maintenance. Is it worth spending the extra on Traction batteries knowing we probably won't manage them properly?

Our batteries will need replacing shortly. So the query is do we stick with what we have (Varta AGM) or buy Traction batteries next time?

Now the trouble is our batteries are not easy to gain access too so maintenance is an issue.

The current Vartas have lasked 5 years with no maintenance. Is it worth spending the extra on Traction batteries knowing we probably won't manage them properly?

I would suggest you stick with what you have if its worked for you for the passed 5 years

I would suggest you stick with what you have if its worked for you for the passed 5 years

I wouldn't say it has been a trouble free 5 years.

After bouncy sea trips they have seemed to struggle for a day or so but then bounce back.

This time however they have not recovered.

We won't change the batteries yet as we are due out of the water in a couple of weeks for a couple of months. Will change them just before we are dropped back in, hopefully not literally!

From all that you say here (and in another place...) you're not a heavy user, no washing machines, electric cookers and other devices loved by those with tin boats...

Traction batteries will add to the weight and trim - you run the risk of a touch of 'lee rail under' if not well placed...

Having the Wrong Sort of Boat as well as the Wrong Sort of Batteries, I'm not in a place to offer sensible advice / suggestions.

However my WSOB's have a large capacity for additional electrolyte - and I assume Trojan's (being designed for traction / maintenance conditions) will also have a large reservoir? Thus, grovelling around in the bilges will be an infrequent problem.

FWIW I've always considered that AGMs were best suited for boats where keeping vertical was the exception rather than the rule....

At least Trojan types will respond better to high charging rates that AGM's. However, that's very much a feeling than any experience. You did ask, my vote is for Trojan's and removing some ballast.

Your boat is out of the water for the next 4 months - why not wait until you either sell / or don't sell, then decide.

Because they won't last the next year ( or possibly two) we have planned for NC.

They are struggling now to manage a weekend. We have a decent trip to Scotland planned for next summer so we want some decent reserve which this current set just wont provide.

After bouncy sea trips

For this reason alone I suggest AGMs are your only option.

The acid in flooded batteries will leak out of the vents and if you choose sealed for life, there is still a chance of it getting out. You really REALLY don't want acid escaping from yer batts.

Stick with exactly what you have. The boat's charging systems are obviously setup correctly for them and you have managed them well.

If you change to traction batteries they will need a different charging regime, voltages etc. That could mean upgrading of alternators regulators, chargers and solar panel controllers if you have them. Tractions batteries also need watering intermittently, which either means more expense buying a watering system and learning how to use it or being able to get to them to check levels and water them if needed.

You have got it right with the Varta AGM stay with them

Edited by Geo

Because they won't last the next year ( or possibly two) we have planned for NC.

They are struggling now to manage a weekend. We have a decent trip to Scotland planned for next summer so we want some decent reserve which this current set just wont provide.

I think you have to accept either the trip is off, unlikely, or a consumable on the boat needs changing before the trip to Scotland.

My reply was to the post I quoted, quoted below and the talk about not changing them. I had already answered your OP

From what you are saying they needed changing months ago.

Edited by Geo

My reply was to the post I quoted, quoted below and the talk about not changing them. I had already answered your OP

From what you are saying they needed changing months ago.

Not really.

They are still fine for running the fridge, heating, lights and pumps etc, but they are now struggling with higher demands like the electric kettle.

Not a massive problem as we can just use the gas kettle for the few weeks we have left in the water.

Not really.

They are still fine for running the fridge, heating, lights and pumps etc, but they are now struggling with higher demands like the electric kettle.

Not a massive problem as we can just use the gas kettle for the few weeks we have left in the water.

:) I never used an electric kettle, even though technically I had the power, it was the putting the power into the battery and keeping it there that was the problem. I used a gas kettle and I am not sure it was any slower. Also I find the gas kettle sits better on the gimballed stove when on the move. :)

smile.png I never used an electric kettle, even though technically I had the power, it was the putting the power into the battery and keeping it there that was the problem. I used a gas kettle and I am not sure it was any slower. Also I find the gas kettle sits better on the gimballed stove when on the move. smile.png

Our electric kettle is far quicker at boiling water then the gas one, or it was when we had the capacity to use it rolleyes.gif

The first cuppa in the morning is taking an age now sad.png

Our electric kettle is far quicker at boiling water then the gas one, or it was when we had the capacity to use it rolleyes.gif

The first cuppa in the morning is taking an age now sad.png

lol You will have to get up earlier to have the first cuppa on time :)