1000 Miles in 2016

Keeping Up

Featured Posts

About 22,000miles but not many in the boat due to the floods in France,good red wine,good food options and to relaxed in the marina and village to be bothered going anywhere further than the favourite village cafe.But! next year will hit the Nivernais and no doubt clock a few miles up[slowly stopping in the small towns]

.But! next year will hit the Nivernais .

You've got a treat in store. It was the Nivernais, on which Mrs. Athy and I had our first-ever hire boat holiday, which was the birthplace of our enthusiasm for boating.

• 2 weeks later...

Iirc the oil change on Gardner 2lw is 300 hours.

...which, I assume, has a margin for error, i.e. a bit less or a bit more time should not harm it.

I did, as I promised earlier in the thread, e-mail Walsh's to ask their advice about the proper interval, but they have not replied.

About average for us. 518 miles 499 locks 216.5 hours. We had to fit a separate hour counter as the one in the rev counter has given up. We have a Garmin 120 which we mainly use for speed over the ground. As it shows our track,can it show miles run in a given period? The miles would of course,be nautical miles.

I'm very impressed that so many colleagues have kept such punctilious records of their journeys. I did work out that our "big trip" of the year (Cropredy - Alvecote - Snarestone - Cropredy) was about 170 miles and some 60-odd locks, plus there were numerous short trips. So I would guesstimate about 300 miles in all.

Do some boats have milometers? None of ours has had one.

My mother kept detailed logs of all our canal trips (after I did the first one back in the mid 1970s). Each night after mooring up she'd dig out the boat's copy of Edwards and work out the locks and the distance. "Mintball" even has a couple of small samplers celebrating her 10th and 20th anniversaries which include the total miles and locks done. We've not calculated the distance for the 30th anniversary. I'm going to be scanning / OCRing all the typed up logs and putting them on line with photos taken on the trips...

Curious how lots of boaters like recording where and how far they travel, yet when someone suggests CRT do it, a storm of protest ensues...

BW was the reason I nearly stopped blogging when they said that they may charge more for a licence for heavy users of the system

• 3 weeks later...

You guys are in too much of a hurry. So far in 9 months ive done the Stort the Lea, Thames, oxford, leicester, T&M, Coventry, Ashby, All BCN and Stratford.By the time my 12 months is up I'd have the Avon, Severn and Shroppie completed.

So something in the order of 500 miles and 400 locks. How you get to see anything at 1000 miles a year defeats me.

Our 2016 total seems to have been only about 325 miles, by a very hefty margin the least we have ever done.

However this relates to a year where......

1) Cath's mum died unexpectedly

2) As a result we gained an extra dog

3) I was in hospital for various operations and investigations

4) Sickle finally had an extended docking to sort out its steel work

5) Flamingo's engine decided it wasn't going to play along with us any longer, and has had to be fully rebuilt.

In the circumstances I'm pleased we managed 325 miles!

We did still manage to attend festivals at Rickmansworth, Stoke Bruerne, Braunston and Alvecote, which was also good.

You guys are in too much of a hurry. So far in 9 months ive done the Stort the Lea, Thames, oxford, leicester, T&M, Coventry, Ashby, All BCN and Stratford.By the time my 12 months is up I'd have the Avon, Severn and Shroppie completed.

So something in the order of 500 miles and 400 locks. How you get to see anything at 1000 miles a year defeats me.

It helps that we don't go everywhere at 3mph :D

For example Boston to Lowestoft a trip of some 100 odd miles we did in 5 hours in July.

It helps that we don't go everywhere at 3mph :D

For example Boston to Lowestoft a trip of some 100 odd miles we did in 5 hours in July.

3 mph thats supersonic. I'm on tick o er everywhere. ( except the rivers in flood) :-)

Yes, its amazing, especially when they're on ere most of the time. ohmy.png

One advantage of travelling quickly and seeing only half the things on a trip is that you can do the same trip again and see the other half.

I find that, as crewing for other people the journey is often the main purpose of the trip. I've added it up and I reckon I did 835 miles in 2016, the majority of it on the NBT coal boats. Quite a good distance for someone who doesn't own a boat.

I probably won't, but ideally this year I'd like to do 2000 miles. That's very far.