1000 Miles in 2016

Keeping Up

Featured Posts

This year we only covered just over 1000 miles, the second-lowest year's distance since I retired in 2004. Mainly this was because we were introducing our new dog Jessop to the waterways slowly and carefully; as it turned out, he loves boating more than almost anything.

We had a wonderful trip (until the very end when our corrosion problems were revealed) which hasn't quite finished yet as we'll be spending Christmas bringing the boat down from Stockton to Northampton, but I have finished writing up my account on our website here. I hope you enjoy reading it.

We are also well down on miles traveled this year. Only 1258 so far, (500 of those being in a 2 week trip!) and I can't see us doing more then maybe 20 or 30 more before NC is lifted out on 3rd January. Well down on our usual yearly average of 1500-1600 miles.

Nice write up by the way. cheers.gif

387 miles and 501 locks in 30 days all bounded by Stourport - Wolverhampton - Tipton - Pelsall - Catshill - Salford Jn - Kingswood Jn - Stratford - Tewkesbury - Stourport.

Have just renewed my home mooring contract but thinking of going on an extended trip next June, July and August to get further afield. Will be starting a new job in Milton Keynes in January (no not with them!) so after the BCN Challenge I might take in Braunston historic festival by boat and then head down the GU.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

We only managed about 4000 miles this year, half of that in just one trip to Italy and back.

Must try harder next year.

Good blog Allan.

Edited by MJG

I'm very impressed that so many colleagues have kept such punctilious records of their journeys. I did work out that our "big trip" of the year (Cropredy - Alvecote - Snarestone - Cropredy) was about 170 miles and some 60-odd locks, plus there were numerous short trips. So I would guesstimate about 300 miles in all.

Do some boats have milometers? None of ours has had one.

Edited by Athy

As a keen cyclist, I use a 'Garmin' on the bike. This tracks my route and gives various data readouts, including a map. Last year I updated to a better one, so use the 'Garmin 200' on the boat. It is useful as it tracks my moving time, but also my elapsed time. This helps with working out how long the engine has been running.

If anybody would like to look, here's the link.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1204948236

Hope that works.

This was the first day of my big trip, if you click on the right > next to the 'like' button, you can follow through the next weeks and months of the trip.

Kevin

I'm very impressed that so many colleagues have kept such punctilious records of their journeys. I did work out that our "big trip" of the year (Cropredy - Alvecote - Snarestone - Cropredy) was about 170 miles and some 60-odd locks, plus there were numerous short trips. So I would guesstimate about 300 miles in all.

Don't think that's possible. I suspect many folk use some form of GPS tracking. I use a map.

Also can check on CanalPlan.

JP

Sadly 2016 was also our lowest canal mileage in very many years.

I've yet to work it out, but certainly much less than half what we might have done in the past.

The death of the final parent, (Cath's mum), various medical problems of our own, and the need to do major work on both boats really limited our options.

Hopefully we are not quite finished though, as the engine rebuild and other works on "Flamingo" are now completed by the excellent chaps at Brinklow Boat Services, and we hope to get "Flamingo" back from Stretton under Fosse to its home mooring in Northamptonshire the week after next, after the Buckby stoppage has ended, and if no more disasters strike.

A hand held Garmin GPS on the back slide (when I remember!)

Gives a surprisingly accurate measure of distance travelled, when compared to CanalPlanAC, for any given day.

It is accurate enough though that if you do a lot of "hovering" waiting for locks, (this may be called Nick Norman syndrome?), then it knows about any backward and forward shuffling, and the recorded mileage increases accordingly. It seems fair to count any mileage where you have repeatedly moved backwards and forwards whilst waiting your turn! Severe lack of concentration and zig-zagging down the cut will also increase the miles, I guess!

... use the 'Garmin 200' on the boat. It is useful as it tracks my moving time, but also my elapsed time. This helps with working out how long the engine has been running.

I keep a log - noting engine on and off times does that accurately enough, although the engine hours counter does a pretty decent job too! :)

I don't keep records but my mileage is well down this year at around 350 miles, I've been grounded by university commitments but hope to get out and about more next year, although I've recently bought a little camper van so a fair bit of my free time will be taken with that.

I keep a log - noting engine on and off times does that accurately enough, although the engine hours counter does a pretty decent job too! smile.png

I've never had a boat which had one of those, either. Are they common?

We only managed about 4000 miles this year, half of that in just one trip to Italy and back.

Must try harder next year.

Good blog Allan.

Did you miss the bit in the revised forum rules and guidelines that forbids members from passing off exploits undertaken in caravans under threads about boating activity?

Am sure I saw it.

JP

When we hired an Anglo Welsh boat in 1974 they provided a small logbook for daily entries including number of miles and locks. We thought this was such a good idea that we've kept a daily diary, one page of A4 every day when we're travelling, ever since. We use a hardback cashbook which has columns down the right hand margin where we note times, distances, and locks; we're now on our 14th volume. It's both useful and interesting to look back at the old ones.