National converted to rn de convertion

Jrtm

Featured Posts

I have a national as seen in other posts on them mine has been very messed about and by looks of it vertually converted into a rn.

I now want to convert it back to what it should be a national.

From what i can tell its had the following added.

. Pressured oil feed to rockers

. Breather pipe from crank case to air filter

. Remote oil fiter

Its also got a few odd other bits like sensors that have now been romoved on the intake and water im going to replace these parts as well as running the water cooling up to the roof like on guccc boats

Anyways does anyone know if the inlet and exhaust rockers and guides are the same on national and rns?

Rns use pressured oil feeds and national use oil wicks.

Also rns run breather pipe from the crank case to air intake, nationals dont im assuming if the pressure oil feeds are no longer there the breather can be removed (i have new crank case cover)

I know there are other odd internal diffrences but untill i crack the engine open i wont know if it still has national liners or the piston oil plates.

Ive had a look on the manuals but it dosnt show the parts very well and the rn spares of dosnt show if nationals used diffrent parts.

• 5 weeks later...

So anybody know if the rocker guides are diffrent?

I would guess they would be but need to know if rn ones can be used on a national as this is the last job to do to convert my national back into one

Ok ive stripped 1 head apart to see what i have,

Apart from the untake breather full of oil (no dowt why its burning loads of oil)

As you can see my rocker arm is cast with brass sleve with 2 holes in and a bevel for my covers to drip oil into.

The rocker shaft has a hole at the end strait threw and a single small hole near the left hand hole on the rocker arm. This shaft also seams to have a pressure valve in the end of it where the oil feed pipe was.

My head is covered in oil ov where the oil feed pumps oil out the hole and all over the inside of the head,

As i still have the rocker arm with hole in and the covers with wicks im guessing if i just put the oil feed nuts back in i can go back to the national way of drip oil feed direct onto the rocker arm.

I want to go back to the national system as the current setup is causing loads of oil to be use due to the oil feeds in the rockers and threw the breather this way j can measure and know its not using engine oil from burning it threw the cylinders. Ill attach pics in a sec

Pics of rocker arm with 2 holes and brass sleve

Rocker bar that has holes in and what looks like a pressure valve inside

Its like this on all 4 valve rockers

post-17927-0-81765700-1484412409_thumb.jpg

post-17927-0-91215600-1484412456_thumb.jpg

post-17927-0-12545300-1484412513_thumb.jpg

post-17927-0-06926400-1484412553_thumb.jpg

I dont know if its of any intrest but my national still has the piston splash guards fitted, there was someone talking about them a while ago and they said they didnt know of any still with them, well mine has so i guess is still more of a national than rn

Engine is now back to being a national, no oil from exhaust now runs far better oil pressure before use to bounce like mad on idle it now is higher with a very small bounce. All in all much happyer oil change soon but for now topped up so i van monitor the levels