Installing new cooker and hob

Markymark

Featured Posts

Each indivual gas ring as well as the oven must be protected by its own flame failure device to comply with the BSS and/or RCD.

AKA approved for shared occupancy in house-speak.

And no you don't need a gas fitter to fit a gas cooker. All house cookers will have 240V, at the least for the ignition, so make sure there's no oven functions that require it and light it with a match.

The Bush at Argos for instance is much cheaper, more powerful than any boatie cooker I've come across: http://www.argos.co.uk/product/4897051

I think if you live aboard you have to have gas safe bod fit it?

Problem is, most gas ovens and hobs state in the user manual not to be fitted below ground level, basement.

I have fitted a new gas hob but can't seem.to find a gas safe man who is willing to connect it up, still using my old hob at the minute.

My hob is a domestic gas one with lpg conversion kit.

I believe you need a competent person (who does it for free). Could be you.

It really isn't that difficult.

I have just, connected a new cooker, disconnected it, tried another one, re-connected the first one and I'm glad to report (though it may disappoint some) that I'm still here. Leak tester is your friend (as is your nose).

Have been thinking about doing it myself, but for good reason it does worry me.

It's well possible. The main advice I'd give to someone doing it the first time is take your time, especially just after you turn the gas back on, it will be fairly obvious if there's something wrong. Leak detector spray on everything you have fitted. (Washing up liquid at a pinch but it's messier)

Gas needs treating with respect but it doesn't just explode, even if there's a leak it will burn.

I would point out that some domestic cookers with gas ovens now have a fan that runs all the time thee oven is turned on. I think parts melt if the fan fails to spin. That fan will be 240V AC. I suspect it may be those with fancy timers that need a fan so perhaps look at basic models.

Have been thinking about doing it myself, but for good reason it does worry me.

Concern is good, it means you're thinking about safety. If worry affects your confidence then perhaps it's not a job for you, but if you can plumb then you can plumb gas, just make sure you're using the correct fittings with soft copper olives and follow the recommendations in the BSS essential guide on aspects such pipe supports (max 300mm apart, 150mm from fittings). As others have said, test every joint with leak detector spray before use.

Concern is good, it means you're thinking about safety. If worry affects your confidence then perhaps it's not a job for you, but if you can plumb then you can plumb gas, just make sure you're using the correct fittings with soft copper olives and follow the recommendations in the BSS essential guide on aspects such pipe supports (max 300mm apart, 150mm from fittings). As others have said, test every joint with leak detector spray before use.

And don't allow yourself to believe gas safety is only about avoiding leaks.

Flues and ventilation are equally important.

True, but you pay a lot of money to lose those inches.

Tell me about it!!! Trying to find a new cooker full height but less than 50cm deep.... I don't think such a beastie exists for less than about 350 sovs... Grrrr....

Be more than happy to stand corrected!

;-)

I might just give it a go, its only about a foot of pipework that needs doing as the pipe runs to the old cooker behind the new cooker, just a case of cutting into pipe, 90 degree bend, tap, 90 degree bend, then another 90 degree bend to hob with a couple of short pieces between the bends...

Would one 90 deg bend, then tap then a suitable flexi not be ok?

It's a few less potential leak points (ie joints)...

You could also use a bottle top pressure gauge to check for leakage, and leak detector spray to locate the leak if there is one.

Manual for the hob says the pipe must be fixed, no hose.