White Ensign

Alway Swilby

Featured Posts

What about on the Macclesfield Canal?

There are some RN canal boats around some berthed at Calcutt

Also got a niggle Sea Cadets can fly the Ensign as well

Edited by Geo

The various Merchant Shipping Acts state what can be 'worn' (If the flag is at the back of the boat - and on the rudder post, which doubles as an Ensign staff, the flag is 'worn' - dunno why...). Although contentious, the Acts also apply to inland waters, so in theory a naval officer or a n officer of HM Customs could seize the flag - but no more.

That applies to the Macc...

There never has been a seizure of a flag on the non tidal inland waterways - so I wouldn't bother to be worried.

Indeed flying / wearing a flag / burgee/ pennant adds colour to the scenery - so please do...

I get fed up with everyone on the Thames wearing a Red ensign - so I wear all sorts other than a red - sometimes contentious, but it engages folks in conversation - which is my object...

Why not fly the red duster, you're entitled to fly that.

Phil

There is a great book Titled " The red duster at war "

I don't think it proper to fly any flag on a narrowboat except a small burgee. And that's a bit dodgy.

I agree, I hate any form of flag on narrowboats.

There are some RN canal boats around some berthed at Calcutt

Also got a niggle Sea Cadets can fly the Ensign as well

The Navy boats based at Calcutt are basically hire boats for Navy and ex-Navy personel to hire for holiday purposes. They are not operational Navy boats, and do not fly the white ensign, or any other flag for that matter.
  • Greenie 1

The Navy boats based at Calcutt are basically hire boats for Navy and ex-Navy personel to hire for holiday purposes. They are not operational Navy boats, and do not fly the white ensign, or any other flag for that matter.

I am under the impression they are naval owned from what Roger told me. They are or were not owned by Calcutt only serviced and maintained them.

As to flying the Ensign some of the users may not agree with you, have seen them flying it. But hey who is going to argue with the Navy.

Although I'm never sure if the Royal Yacht Squadron entitlement goes with the member or the boat ....

Quite an exclusive club the Royal Yacht Squadron. Last time I spoke to a member flying the white ensign was in Tobermory: the yacht was a rather large and particularly fine vessel and he had a chap to drive it up there for him. He himself had just popped up from the City for a couple of days. There won't be any of those on the canals and there won't be any RN vessels either, so any you see flying the White Ensign are scoundrels who should prepare to be boarded. Having said that, I suspect that any officer entitled to do so is likely to have better things to be doing. Doesn't stop the non-entitled fly-ee being a scurvy dog though.

If you want to fly a flag go ahead, but please renew it before it gets tatty or faded. Ideally take it indoors every evening as the sun sets. It's very sad to see a neglected flag and it is a breach of good flag etiquette. War veterans will be hurt if you don't respect the flag they fought for. I would only fly one to annoy the French are they are few and far between where I am.

I am under the impression they are naval owned from what Roger told me. They are or were not owned by Calcutt only serviced and maintained them.

I believe that's correct. They are quite appropriately called the Nelson Portsmouth fleet. I think they have three boats.

I believe that's correct. They are quite appropriately called the Nelson Portsmouth fleet. I think they have three boats.

I thought four but it is a while since I have been there, four years I think. :)

HMS Nelson do have boats there, but there are a couple of other RN boats on the system under other establishments too. Not strictly Navy owned, but rather a sort of a charitable trust arrangement. Bookable for R&R purposes firstly, then available for family holidays. I spent many a happy week on the canal in those vessels in years gone by.