White Ensign

Alway Swilby

Featured Posts

I didn't read all the posts so I hope no one has said this, but I think we are the only country in the world not allowed to fly our countries national flag.

Yes we are - we are allowed to wear our countries national flag on all British vessels, which normally is the Red Ensign. The alternative ensigns and the restrictions on their use have already been mentioned by others on this thread.

The Red Ensign has a long and distinguished history and we should be proud to wear it.

Howard

Edited by howardang

The Union Flag is a land flag and not generally flown over water, that is what the various ensigns are there for.

What flag is raised on the bow of a warship once mooring lines are thrown?

I thought it was the union flag also referred to the Union Jack on the appropriately named Jack staff.

What flag is raised on the bow of a warship once mooring lines are thrown?

I thought it was the union flag also referred to the Union Jack on the appropriately named Jack staff.

Yep on the Jack Staff :) I was referring to flags used to denote nationality flown at the stern. Allsorts of flags are flown elsewhere. :)

I feel you may be right but its a shame as the cross of St George has been hijacked by some lowlife and by the bloomin idiot football brigade so when flown by peeps who do it for patriotic reasons it is deemed racist by certain groups

I used to fly the saltire until two years ago, but then stopped, both because I started to get more abuse than cheery waves, and because it had been hijacked by the bloody SNP. I resurrected it when I was in Wales last year, though. Thing is, I only started flying it in 2006, when every other boat seemed to be flying a St George Cross because England were in the world cup. I'm not a flag-waving Scotsman.

I did think of switching to the EU flag, but thought better of it......... :D

I did. see post #56.

Unfortunately that is incorrect as far as I am aware. The pilot jack used to signal that the vessel required an English speaking pilot, but is now defunct. The DBA made enquiries about 15 years ago about its use by members' craft when cruising and got official confirmation that that was now acceptable. There was no restriction that it would only be when moored or at anchor.

I used to fly the saltire until two years ago, but then stopped, both because I started to get more abuse than cheery waves, and because it had been hijacked by the bloody SNP. I resurrected it when I was in Wales last year, though. Thing is, I only started flying it in 2006, when every other boat seemed to be flying a St George Cross because England were in the world cup. I'm not a flag-waving Scotsman.

I did think of switching to the EU flag, but thought better of it......... biggrin.png

You could always use the Scottish Ensign,which hasn't been hijacked .by Nicola. (Not strictly legal since 1707, but nobody's complained about ours yet!)

Unfortunately that is incorrect as far as I am aware. The pilot jack used to signal that the vessel required an English speaking pilot, but is now defunct. The DBA made enquiries about 15 years ago about its use by members' craft when cruising and got official confirmation that that was now acceptable. There was no restriction that it would only be when moored or at anchor.

well that's all right then cheers.gif

You could always use the Scottish Ensign,which hasn't been hijacked .by Nicola. (Not strictly legal since 1707, but nobody's complained about ours yet!)

But that still features the St Andrews cross, which in England seemed to provoke those who knew what it was but were too ignorant to know better. I felt safer in Wales.

I believe the only flag allowed, for privately owned boats is the "Jolly Roger" and has been since the Middle Ages.

It has been incorrectly used as a sign for pirates,

this is because hey we're called Privateers by the navy and the name was corrupted to pirate.

i looked it up year ago. When I wanted to put a flag on my own boat.

on the open sea international maritime law allows (encourages?) members of the public to plunder and/or arrest any vessel and its crew if it is flying the jolly roger.

no reason why it shouldn't apply to inland waterways as well.

That will keep yer busy!

Apparently the new Scottish fiver has just the faintest trace of haggis in it and therefore should not be accepted south of the border (except perhaps in the bar of London Scottish FC).

..and, of course, you can fly it on "Neap" tides!

Howard

Edited by howardang

I believe the only flag allowed, for privately owned boats is the "Jolly Roger" and has been since the Middle Ages.

It has been incorrectly used as a sign for pirates,

this is because hey we're called Privateers by the navy and the name was corrupted to pirate.

i looked it up year ago. When I wanted to put a flag on my own boat.

Merchant shipping Act 1995 Section 1 :

1)A ship is a British ship if—

(a)the ship is registered in the United Kingdom under Part II; or

(b)the ship is, as a Government ship, registered in the United Kingdom in pursuance of an Order in Council under section 308; or

©the ship is registered under the law of a relevant British possession; or

(d)the ship is a small ship other than a fishing vessel and—

(i)is not registered under Part II, but

(ii)is wholly owned by qualified owners, and

(iii)is not registered under the law of a country outside the United Kingdom.

(2)For the purposes of subsection (1)(d) above—

qualified owners” means persons of such description qualified to own British ships as is prescribed by regulations made by the Secretary of State for the purposes of that paragraph; and

“small ship” means a ship less than 24 metres in length (“length” having the same meaning as in the tonnage regulations).

And relevant bit of Section 2

2 British flag.

(1)The flag which every British ship is entitled to fly is the red ensign (without any defacement or modification) and, subject to subsections (2) and (3) below, no other colours.

Qualified owner appears to be

British citizens or persons who are nationals of an EU state who are *established in

the UK. (*established - it is not sufficient to live or even be an employee in the UK to

be 'established' in accordance with Article 52 of the EEC Treaty. To be 'established'

a person must make an economic contribution to the UK e.g. by having a business,

including being self-employed. )

although I haven't tracked down the actual regulation.

Not sure where that leaves the Jolly Roger cheers.gif