White Ensign

Alway Swilby

Featured Posts

HMS Nelson do have boats there, but there are a couple of other RN boats on the system under other establishments too. Not strictly Navy owned, but rather a sort of a charitable trust arrangement. Bookable for R&R purposes firstly, then available for family holidays. I spent many a happy week on the canal in those vessels in years gone by.

HMS Nelson ohmy.png Dont you mean Viccy barracks?.........sprog........wink.png

• Greenie 1

Flag waving has always seemed jingoistic to me. Those roadside cafe's that fly the cross of St George, what are they saying? To me they are saying 'whites only' but I may be wrong.

I have reported myself to the mods in case this post is deemed political.

I feel you may be right but its a shame as the cross of St George has been hijacked by some lowlife and by the bloomin idiot football brigade so when flown by peeps who do it for patriotic reasons it is deemed racist by certain groups

Anyone who has a life outside the muddy ditch is fully aware that it is custom and practice for private and pleasure boats on the major inland waterways to fly the Red Ensign. Anything else is posturing.

It is unfortunate that the George Cross is seen as racist (except possibly when flown during international football competitions), and the word 'nationalism' (for the English at least) has come to be associated with the National Front. I wonder how long it will be before churches stop flying the GC? Anyway, the GC cannot be flown from a boat because it is reserved for Royal Navy admirals, and there are very few of them.

Edited by Murflynn

It is unfortunate that the George Cross is seen as racist.

It's unfortunate that you think it is. Do you feel the same about the Welsh dragon, the French tricolore or the Scots saltire (which I hope I have spelled correctly)? They are simply the flags of their respective nations, and things to be proud of, certainly not to be ashamed of.

It is an unfortunate by-product of the typically English self-deprecating nature that many of us don't have a strong sense of pride in our own country. The Scots, for example, can show us what being proud of one's own country looks like.

For those who want to fly the union flag why not try a pilot jack. That is a union flag with a white surround flown from the jack staff. I have seen passenger boats flying that.

The pilot jack is flown by UK vessels moored up alongside or at anchor, and always at the bow of the vessel.

It's unfortunate that you think it is. Do you feel the same about the Welsh dragon, the French tricolore or the Scots saltire (which I hope I have spelled correctly)? They are simply the flags of their respective nations, and things to be proud of, certainly not to be ashamed of.

It is an unfortunate by-product of the typically English self-deprecating nature that many of us don't have a strong sense of pride in our own country. The Scots, for example, can show us what being proud of one's own country looks like.

Don't misquote me - it is unbecoming of you, and of a mod in particular, to imply that I said I think it is racist.

Please read my post again carefully, and withdraw your comment if you agree it is inaccurate and misleading.

Also refer to my parentheses where I limited my comment to the English.

HMS Nelson ohmy.png Dont you mean Viccy barracks?.........sprog........wink.png

They are operated by the Leisure & Amenities Fund, which is also known as H.M.S. Nelson as far as I can gather.

Don't misquote me

I didn't.

Edited by Athy

They are operated by the Leisure & Amenities Fund, which is also known as H.M.S. Nelson as far as I can gather.

mmmm Seadog and I both know though that HMS Nelson is the new name for Victory ( viccy ) barracks in Portsmouth. Twas so called when I joined the Royal Navy and was named HMS Nelson if I recall only very recently about 1975 if I remember rightly. I am not going to google to find absolute dates but remember the change being made whilst I was in Portsmouth some time in the mid 70s.

mmmm Seadog and I both know though that HMS Nelson is the new name for Victory ( viccy ) barracks in Portsmouth. Twas so called when I joined the Royal Navy and was named HMS Nelson if I recall only very recently about 1975 if I remember rightly. I am not going to google to find absolute dates but remember the change being made whilst I was in Portsmouth some time in the mid 70s.

2000 according to the never-wrong Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMNB_Portsmouth)

2000 according to the never-wrong Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMNB_Portsmouth)

Then wikipedia is as usual wrong again I remember the big sign on the wall at the entrance being changed and the site being called HMS Nelson and it certainly wasnt 2000 I left the RN in 1978 so 2000 noooooooooooo chance.

Then wikipedia is as usual wrong again I remember the big sign on the wall at the entrance being changed and the site being called HMS Nelson and it certainly wasnt 2000 I left the RN in 1978 so 2000 noooooooooooo chance.

I agree. I remember Vicky Barracks changing though my time. I left in 1983. It had been Nelson for years before.

The British flag is the Union Flag not an Ensign IMO at least.

The Union Flag is a land flag and not generally flown over water, that is what the various ensigns are there for.