Engine not starting

Featured Posts

There is no light coming on when I turn the key. I turned it backwards first to warm the engine and there was a click and no light came on. When I turn the key forward to start the engine there is no light coming on. Anyone have any ideas what it Could be. Was fine when I started it and stopped it yesterday

Sounds like the battery connection/s could have worked lose. Try making sure the bolts are tight.

Almost certainly a poor electrical connection but not necessarily on the battery. Quite possible though.

Easily located by someone with a multimeter.

(And a basic understanding of boat electrics!)

Depending on the engine type, it may also be the main engine fuse that has blown, or gone high resistance in its holder.

e.t.a. Beta and Vetus are prone to this. Not sure abou others

Edited by Iain_S

Check the isolator, particularly if it is one of those cheap ones with the removable red key. Bang the key a few times with your hand.

Tony

That certainly worked several times for me, until I fitted a new one! Turning the isolator switch on and off several times would be the very first thing I would try. Hope it brings a sigh of relief!

That certainly worked several times for me, until I fitted a new one! Turning the isolator switch on and off several times would be the very first thing I would try. Hope it brings a sigh of relief!

When you turn the key to 'on' it pushes the contacts together which is why a smart tap on the top with your hand can sometimes improve the connection.

Or turn it off and then bang it a few times and then turn back on - that would probably be more effective.

We had a similar fault to this during the summer. Came to start one morning and no lights or noise from the instrument panel. At first thought flat battery, checked with the multimeter, voltage ok connections ok. Turned out to be the glow-plug relay.

When you turn the key to 'on' it pushes the contacts together which is why a smart tap on the top with your hand can sometimes improve the connection.

Or turn it off and then bang it a few times and then turn back on - that would probably be more effective.

Or screw up a little ball of paper & put down the hole under the plastic key. If the contacts have overheated and melted the plastic the supporting plastic the paper ball, on a very temporary basis, pushes them back together.

Or screw up a little ball of paper & put down the hole under the plastic key. If the contacts have overheated and melted the plastic the supporting plastic the paper ball, on a very temporary basis, pushes them back together.

Or even - take the switch entirely out of the 'loop' (even if only to test if it is the switch that is faulty)

1) Remove the two wires and bolt together the two ring terminals, or

2) Use a 'Jump-Lead' and bridge the two terminals.

Yup, good temporary fix :). But OP, note that it's temporary just to get you home.

Thanks everyone for your advice. I've tried taking the key out a few times and banging it but no luck. I think I will call someone out tomorrow because I haven't a clue about engines. I've had the boat 7 years now and never had a problem with the starter before

On re-reading the OP, I'd tend to go for a fuse rather than a bad connection, unless it's one that has failed fully open circuit. Even with a high resistance connection, lights tend to come on, and go out when the starter is operated. The click when the heater plugs were operated is consistent with the relay dropping out as the fuse blows.

If we knew what type of engine it was, someone will be able to suggest where the main engine fuse is likely to be. They can be a real pain to find, if it's an unfamiliar engine.

OK,

The main engine fuse is located behind the starter motor. There is a covered in-line blade fuse holder attached to the wiring loom. Depending on the installation, it may have to be found by feel, as it's often tucked between the starter motor and the engine block.

The fuse holder may not be in good condition : one I did had burnt the contacts quite extensively, and I suspect it was the heat rather than electrical overload which did in the fuse.

If it is the fuse, it's surprisingly difficult to get a new one, as it's 40Amp , which is bigger than most car accessory places stock.

Bit of a long shot this: My engine, a Vetus, is turned off by moving the key as far as possible to the left. It then needs to be moved to the centre position. If you remove the key when it's in the left position which is, rather stupidly, possible, the starter battery will be flat as a pancake within hours. I'm wondering if you maybe have this arrangement? If so, can you check the voltage of the starter battery? If not, do you have a jump lead to connect the positives of the starter and leisure batteries, and try again?