Webasto Air Top Evo 40 - cutting out

bozlite

Featured Posts

Our Webasto has developed a fault. Runs for about 30 minutes (with a bit of white smoke, which it never used to have) and then cuts out. No flashing error codes. Any ideas? Fuel problem, perhaps? I'd be grateful for any pointers on what I could try.

Well, it should at least have the "No shit Sherlock" flash code of 5 rapid and 1 which is no start or 5 & 2 which is flame out, hence the NSS comment. But white smoke is unburned diesel so I suspect the it is in need of a decoke or new burner, possibly crap fuel. Not anything like low voltage or sensor failure as there would be the code flash. The only other worry is that when no codes are flashed it is an ECU issue but I doubt that is the case here. Do you just have the single rotary control or the proper marine MC04 twin dial control?

Edited by NMEA

Well, it should at least have the "No shit Sherlock" flash code of 5 rapid and 1 which is no start or 5 & 2 which is flame out, hence the NSS comment. But white smoke is unburned diesel so I suspect the it is in need of a decoke or new burner, possibly crap fuel. Not anything like low voltage or sensor failure as there would be the code flash. The only other worry is that when no codes are flashed it is an ECU issue but I doubt that is the case here. Do you just have the single rotary control or the proper marine MC04 twin dial control?

Thanks for that. We've got the MC04 control. Is decoking something I could do myself?

Thanks for that. We've got the MC04 control. Is decoking something I could do myself?

If you are fairly competant then yes, you will need torx drivers to dsmantle and obviously you will not be able to set the burn rate correctly without the right equipment, truth to tell a decoke is not the real solution but it should get you going again for a while. You really need a burner kit but you could give it a go. If you would like the workshop manual for the Evo just drop me a PM with an email address.

Yes, we have - pretty much all the time, in fact - once the boat has warmed up. I get the feeling that you think that might be a problem!

Yes it can be, I would use the middle boost setting when you first turn on then it should regulate itself once it nears the target temp, turn the temerature dial up for half an hour before you intend to turn it off.

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick update: NMEA kindly sent me the workshop manual. I had a quick look and the burner was in a pretty poor state. We found someone in Nottingham (a truck heating/refrigeration chap) who replaced the burner and glow pin and now everything's running nicely. It can be a little smoky on start-up, but clears quickly. This doesn't seem to happen if I follow NMEA's advice to give it a bit of time on full chat before shutting down.

Thanks all - and Happy New Year!