remove ballast

series3

Featured Posts

The vents on my gas locker are just under the waterline when my water tank is full. I did add some batteries to the center of the boat. What I didn't do was remove ballast at the time. I was thinking about taking some out from under the centeral part of the boat to trim as it was before. Would this be ok?

TBH lots of boats these days have their gas locker drains in the water, I wouldn't worry about it especially if the boat trims level or thereabouts. But removing ballast from the centre isn't going to make much difference anyway.

TBH lots of boats these days have their gas locker drains in the water, I wouldn't worry about it especially if the boat trims level or thereabouts. But removing ballast from the centre isn't going to make much difference anyway.

it does matter if the bottom of the gas locker rusts.

BSS allows it to be underwater, but it is much better practice to keep it dry and well painted.

My batteries are at the middle of the boat. They are around 460kg. The gas locker drains can still let gas out.

I was just going to take some weight from under the batteries to even up what I put in.

My batteries are at the middle of the boat. They are around 460kg. The gas locker drains can still let gas out.

I was just going to take some weight from under the batteries to even up what I put in.

That is almost half a ton, that would probably take the boat down half an inch in total, that may not be even all over.

When i put them in I also used their positioning to even the boat out. They are almost central to the boat in both axis, maybe a foot or so to the opposite side of the engine (if that makes sense) my boat is 57ft. I will be removing some and will be doing it evenly. I''m slipping the camera in to have a good look around tomorrow before cutting sone holes to get it out.

I took 12 - 600x600x50mm flags out.

the boat lifted enough to leave around 40mm clear under the gas locker vents at the front. The back lifted around the same.

I didn't weigh the slabs but would estimate about 540kg of ballast out. Around the same as my batteries and sofa.

No difference that we have noticed in roll/stability.

Also nice and dry under there. If I need to add any in future, I may go down the cans of cider route ;)