Cold in winter

Slimmyman

Featured Posts

Hey,

So.. Yes I know that it's the age old question, to which everyone replies that it's boiling in winter.. But I was wondering if I could get some tips on keeping the boat warm as mine is freeezing.

The problem is me and my girlfriend both work full time, we leave the stove on during the day but by the time we are back it has finished burning and the boat is already cold. I'm sure it was lovely and warm whilst we were out. We then get home and put the stove back on, go to sleep just as its warming up, wake up and it's cold again..

We do also have a webasto, although I don't like to leave that on as it surely drains the batteries.. But I run it every morning for hot water.

I was wondering if you have any advice for a newbie? Ps.. It's lovely and warm when we spend an entire day in it. (Also we CC)

Cheers!

If you can master the art of keeping your stove in, you should never be cold.

Our stove is running 24/7 and keeps us toasty at all times.

Eta make sure you keep ash tray empty , fill up with coal then turn the air right down and fire should burn for at least eight hours.

Edited by Rickent

We had the same problem as you and it took us ages to master our stove, but in time you should be able to keep it lit for the whole time you're out. As well as the other advice given, make sure your chimney flue is cleaned/clear and that the chimney is tall enough to give a decent draw of air.

Trying different brands of coal may help too because different coals seem to work better on some boats than others. People have their favourites and after having read the differing opinions on here I tried a few until I found one which suited my requirements. Now I can keep mine lit 24/7.

Like you, it's our first winter, though we're usually on the boat most of the time.

I'm finding that using as much coal as we can get in the grate (without forcing it) when filling up, works best for our stove, than the little and often technique. With the damper and the draft at the bottom 'just' open, the 'piled up' fire gently glows away. We get away with doing this at 7am, 5ish and 10ish. Though the amount of coal is less at the 5 and 10 fill ups.

My suggestion comeswith a warning, it could be dangerous opening the door, just in case a hot nut of coal rolls out. We keep the shovel to hand. Normally though, the 'built up' coals have turned into little balls of ash.

Opening the flue damper for quick warm-up soon has the coals glowing red.

You're probably already doing this, but if not, it's perhaps worth a go. I don't think it's any more expensive.

Easiest way would be to install one of those devices that will switch the heating on from your mobile phone (assuming your boat is moored where there is network coverage) you can then switch the webasto on an hour or so before you get back on board.

What coal are you using?

You often get what you pay for. We use Homefire Ecoal50, which is pricey stuff but very low ash, and can last about 18 hours between top ups, although it's better if riddled and topped up every 12 hours. Easy to keep the stove in 24/7, despite being at work all day.

So, how much coal does everyone get through per day? I'm finding it doesn't go as far as I'd hoped!

Im finding a 25kg bag lasting 3 days . Its very cold just now and i expect to go thru 2 bags a week if not more . I live on board and i don t budget for fuel . I d sooner go hungry than cold .

If you have a widebeam Johnny London ( i think u do from previous posts ) then i should imagine its going to use more to heat as theres

more space ? I m theorising when i ask this

Canal boats of the correct width (?) probably cost less to heat

cheers

Edited by chubby

Just to add my little bit.

Most stoves have a plate of somesort inside the firebox, just below the flu. This space twixt flu & plate will get clogged with ash etc. and, depending on your particular stove, may need regular attention as a build up of ash will affect the draw. My Squirrel is on 24/7 during winter, but I usually don't need to clear this space until the spring/early summer when I completely clean out the firebox ready for the next winter. Mind you, as mine has a back boiler, this is a difficult & very dirty job!

The 1st time most newbies to SF stoves discover this space clogged, is when they have a stove that vomits smoke into the cabin whenever they open the door.

Unfortunately all stoves, even ones you're use to, will operate differently so its all down to trial & error until you get it working how you like it.

Edited by BargeeSpud

We have mainly used Supertherm. Got on with it extremely well. Needed some coal and Supertherm wasn't available. We bought Excel. Less ash, performs well. Smells though and we get gunk running down the side of the boat,permanently staining the paintwork.

We will return to Supertherm when it's available.

Just my thoughts.

So, how much coal does everyone get through per day? I'm finding it doesn't go as far as I'd hoped!

10kg a day or there a bouts, on boat full time.

Sometimes we have to boost the heat up by using the Webasto. Our boat is a widebeam.

Edited to add last line.

Edited by F DRAYKE

On Innisfree I made up a taller front firegrid from 4mm steel plate to enable more solid fuel to be piled up in our Village Puffin. We used Excel which though it produced a lot of ash gave a stable burn at very low settings. We once left the boat for 3 days and returned on the 4th day to a warm boat and was able to retrieve the burn by carefully placing a handful of Excel on the burnt coals and opening the damper fully.

Agree with the Excel for controlability, especially with the fire shut well down.

Very easy to relight from the slightest glow without using any sticks.....but horrible hot TCP like smell.

We use a mix of Burnwell ( I think it's called) from the local yard and wood - live aboards 63ft boat

Stove is a little Villager Heron ...fantastic fire - we love it !!

use a bag of coal and two to three 'nets' of wood (currently oak!) per week....so £16 / £19 per week.

Fire lit 24/7 and stays in all night very easlily - boat is nice and toasty too !

icecream.gifcheers.gif

If the OP tells us the make of stove that they use, we may be able to give even more precise suggestions for what fuel to use, and what tricks to keep it in all day.

I was thinking this too. My Squirrel used to happily stay alight for 24 hours without attention, so I suspect the OP is getting something basic wrong.

Even the Boatman Stove I now have will stay in for 8 or 9 hours when left unattended.

We have a make of stove called Godin. We had awful trouble getting used to it at first and I was ready to change it until people on this forum advised me to stick with it.

I'm so glad I did because it's marvelous. After experimenting with different fuels I eventually settled on Exel and it works brilliantly. Because the stove is tall and loads from the top I can just pour the coal in straight from the scuttle and it's enough to last 24 hours without needing to top it up or empty the ash pan.

Some stoves stay in longer than otheres, ours is quite small and will just stay in overnight. Experiment with different coals and air settings.

Try getting it burning well before you leave, then shutting the air right down.

I prefer homefire ovals, a bit more costly than most but worth it in my opinion.

When you get home you will hopefully have at least a fair bit of glowing coals. Open up the air to get them hotter then a few minutes later gently and quickly rake the coal to shift the ash but don't overdo it. Put on a couple of the compressed sawdust oak mini heat logs. These are good to get a fire going again quickly, and maybe a small proper log or two. If its right down add a little kindling. It should be a good inferno within a few minutes and within an hour the boat should be getting a lot better. A quick cup of tea helps, the gas ring adds a fair bit of heat to the boat quickly.

..............Dave

Just to add my little bit.

Most stoves have a plate of somesort inside the firebox, just below the flu. This space twixt flu & plate will get clogged with ash etc. and, depending on your particular stove, may need regular attention as a build up of ash will affect the draw. My Squirrel is on 24/7 during winter, but I usually don't need to clear this space until the spring/early summer when I completely clean out the firebox ready for the next winter. Mind you, as mine has a back boiler, this is a difficult & very dirty job!

The 1st time most newbies to SF stoves discover this space clogged, is when they have a stove that vomits smoke into the cabin whenever they open the door.

Unfortunately all stoves, even ones you're use to, will operate differently so its all down to trial & error until you get it working how you like it.

Yes called a baffle plate and when I bought my boat it was clogged up. Always good to give it a scrape now and then.

We have an Epping a 25kg bag of excel will last 4 days when going 24/7. The more ash left in the bottom the easier it is to keep in overnight. I love giving it a good rake in the morning and finding some large glowing lumps.

Im finding a 25kg bag lasting 3 days . Its very cold just now and i expect to go thru 2 bags a week if not more . I live on board and i don t budget for fuel . I d sooner go hungry than cold .

If you have a widebeam Johnny London ( i think u do from previous posts ) then i should imagine its going to use more to heat as theres

more space ? I m theorising when i ask this

Canal boats of the correct width () probably cost less to heat

cheers

There are canal boats and proper size canal boats the sort that can carry big loads on big waterways! not the toy boats on toy waterways that those corridors on water sail onhelp.gif

Back on subject my Rayburn Royal will do about 16 hours + on anthracite and about 13 on manufactured fuel it took me about a week to work out the settings. If I want fast heat I use wood and open up the spinwheel it is soon hot